Please Read: Internet Gambling Enforcement Act Survey

P

PokerSurvey

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,

I am a law student and fellow poker player. For a class on computer crime, I am trying to develop some empirical evidence on the effects of the Internet gambling Enforecement Act that was passed on October 13. It would make my life a lot easier if you would take 5 minutes to answer the questions below. You can simply respond and put your answers in this thread or send them to me via email at bjmaro@uchicago.edu. Accurate empirical evidence would not only help my paper but is also a step, depending on the results, in the direction of having the law repealed. That said, I hope to get responses from all types of players--those that play less after the new law, those that play more, and those that play about the same amount. Thank you for your assistance.

Ben

1) Age?

2) Gender?

3) Have you continued to play poker after the recent Online
Gambling Legislation was passed?

4) How often did you play internet poker prior to the
legislation being passed (estimate hours/week)?

5) Do you play less now? If yes, estimate how much less.

6) What method of deposit did you primarily use prior to the
legislation?

7) Do you primarily use a different method now?

8) What poker site did you primarily play at prior to the
legislation?

9) What poker site do you primarily play at now?

pokerrqueenn

pokerrqueenn

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i sent your answers via email

P

PokerSurvey

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Re: Email

Great--I really appreciate it. I haven't received anything yet however--sometimes the period after "edu" is included in the link when it should not be.

I need as many responses as possible so anyone else that has a minute or two free, I would really appreciate it.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Excuse me !

Err, excuse me.

Should we assume you want responses only from residents of the United States ?

Your post doesn`t specify, and the membership here is international.

P

PokerSurvey

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry I didn't clarify. Yes, I prefer responses from US players--I would imagine there is little effect on international players by US legislation (save for a decrease in overall players).

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I prefer responses from US players--I would imagine there is little effect on international players by US legislation (save for a decrease in overall players).

Well, since I haven`t done a survey :rolleyes: I`m not sure, but I think it may have had some effect on all of us. We`ve certainly all been distressed/depressed by it, whether directly affected or not.

Several of us have been beta-testing a new site about which we have been enthusiastic, and it`s frustrating that our American friends can`t join us.

For myself, although I am in the UK, I have definitely played more on Absolute and bodog lately and less on Titan and Party, because the former still allow players from everywhere (including America) and therefore have more action overall.

pokerrqueenn

pokerrqueenn

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes it does affect all . i hate i cannot play with you all on some sites.:(

Alon Ipser

Alon Ipser

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,

I am a law student and fellow poker player. For a class on computer crime, I am trying to develop some empirical evidence on the effects of the Internet Gambling Enforecement Act that was passed on October 13. It would make my life a lot easier if you would take 5 minutes to answer the questions below. You can simply respond and put your answers in this thread or send them to me via email at bjmaro@uchicago.edu. Accurate empirical evidence would not only help my paper but is also a step, depending on the results, in the direction of having the law repealed. That said, I hope to get responses from all types of players--those that play less after the new law, those that play more, and those that play about the same amount. Thank you for your assistance.

Ben

1) Age?

2) Gender?

legislation?

legislation?

You are the second I've seen to do a survey. No offense Ben, but the questions you ask could actually be used to hurt me more than they could help, especially with my email address. Think I'll pass on the survey.

P

PokerSurvey

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't need your email address. Feel free to give your answers anonymously.

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are the second I've seen to do a survey. No offense Ben, but the questions you ask could actually be used to hurt me more than they could help, especially with my email address. Think I'll pass on the survey.
And I'd add that no one should dump additional info out there openly without having a true understanding of what it will be used for (which is basically what Alon said in a previous thread of this same nature).

If this is legit, I would suggest that OP send it to Nick and/or the Mods and see if they would be willing to assist with getting member feedback. If so, they (Nick or the Mods) could collect the data in aggregate and forward it on to you. This should be perfectly acceptable to you as you should only care about the aggregate and not the individual results. If they see value in it, they can rally the troops better than just a single thread. If they don't see the value in it, then I'm sorry...SOL I guess. But I'm definitely not sending answers so you have my e-mail and I'm not posting them here under my User ID.

P

PokerSurvey

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd be happy if the board mods would help me in gathering information. I am simply trying to uncover some empirical data for a fairly informal seminar paper. You have nothing to worry about--I'm not saving email addresses or user names. However, if you are really that uncomfortable answering, then don't.

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well for one thing while there has been an effect, with some sites not excepting US players,etc. The law hasn't actually taken effect yet. The Treasury department has yet to write the rules so nobody knows what ther final impact will be until after then.

Also I feel very uncomfortable telling you (or anyone) how I transfer money since the lawmakers could certainly use that information to shut down that method.

I also think that focusing on internet poker playing misses the point. It's about freedom which is what the US is supposed to be all about. The government shouldn't have the right to tell me what I can and can't do with my own money in my own home. I you're going to write a paper write about that.

P

PokerSurvey

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand your concens but this is a discrete paper for a Computer Crime class. I'd just like to collect a small amount of empirical data for the basis of the paper.

There are a lot of other interesting paper topics out there, but within the confines of this class, I have chosen internet poker.

JAMILE1

JAMILE1

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I was thinking along these same lines, e-cop? a little to personal for me at least, if admin. approves of a collective thing I'd be willing to go as a whole, than as an individual. What I mean is we all answer something that our admin will oversee and forward you the collected data without names or emails.

P

PokerSurvey

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems, if nothing else, the new laws have created a high level of paranoia. I'm simply looking for a little data for a simple seminar paper. I'm not collecting names or usernames. And the information is innocuous, especially since it will be aggregated.

If you are really that concerned, don't answer the questions. If you recognize that I've given you an academic email address and you have no reason to believe I'm anything but a student, then I would really appreciate answers to the questions I posted.

roundcat

roundcat

Creature of leisure
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll answer. I'm a small-time hobbyist player, mostly microstakes, $5 SNGs, and low buy-in tournaments.

1) Age?

2) Gender?
Female

Yes

I didn't play online at all over the summer, then started again shortly before the bill went through Congress. Not sure how many hours a week, not too many... perhaps 5-10.

I've actually been playing more recently, probably double what I was playing before.

legislation?

neteller

I just emptied my Neteller account and hope to play well enough not to have to deposit again.

legislation?

Poker.com, King Solomons

Poker.com, Full Tilt

P

PokerSurvey

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

Related Gambling Guides: AU Gambling - CA Gambling - UK Gambling - NZ Gambling - Online Gambling