Playing suited connector, late pos

O

oldpetey

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well..Read books, watched vids and can't figure out why DN raised 86s in late position in a game I was watching the other night.
Any body have any ideas?

SYWTWAF

SYWTWAF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Which hand or game was this? Why DN raised 86s in position is hard to say in the abstract; why anyone might want to do this would depend on game-specific conditions. How many people entered the pot before him (if any)? Who were these players? What sorts of tendencies did they exhibit prior to this hand? DN may have been making a squeeze play, isolating a fish, punishing limpers, or a combination of these things... or he may have had a different purpose for his play altogether.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's a pretty standard play for him. He likes them suited gappers. Just looking for a textured flop (like 754) that tells everyone else he missed it by a mile - but surprise!
Plus he has extreme confidence in his postflop play added with his knowledge of the other players.

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To steal? Because he can out play people post flop and take down a lot of pots?

If something thinks you have a big hand, does it matter what hand you ACTUALLY have?

A

aaron_jd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Could be for various reasons. He does like suited connectors or semi-connectors. Also, did everyone fold before he acted? Not a bad hand to steal with, either.

M

Mikeg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your playing on pokerstars just shove all in and watch in delight as they crush the bloke who will turn over AA that he had just waited 50 hands for

M

Mikeg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh yeah forgot to add that bloke will probably be me

E

Eyekall

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
any number of reason may be factors here but the questions is to vague..

pricecube

pricecube

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It could be because he was in late position rathet than because he happened to have suited connectors. He would probably have played the hand even if his cards weren't suited or connected. I assume he was looking to steal and even if he gets called, he gets to act last post-flop anyway.

takethepain

takethepain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can think of 3 reasons.

1) He had position
2) He is a much better post flop player than us and therefore is more likely to maximize his winnings with such and hand, and minimizing his losing.
3) 86s is in many ways a better hand to play then something like an AJ where if you hit your Ace....are you really sure you are good? It is a hand that can easily be dominated.....86s not so much.

F

fugitive67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
he loves those

but again, he PLAYED them, he didnt limp in thinking oh this is sure to hit and nobody will raise ... nice family pot ... look how pretty

and really he wanted to steal ... hitting anything and/or the possible continuation bet regardless, were plans C and B

finally he plays loose to get paid ... you might see a flush or straight possibility vs. him and still go ... no way ... he couldnt have, he wouldnt have, he's bluffing

and then u pay him

essambb

essambb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
paires r good for small bots until you hit the set but you alwayes drawes with the suited connecters i take a flush draw any day

F

Fireblade

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think its just part of his small ball strategy, suited connectors (obivously this is +1) and relatively high suited cards from the button he will raise for a smallish amount hoping to take the blinds which works when there are no calling stations. Then because there are only the small blind/big blind left he can bet again at a decent looking flop to win it anyway, Or he can get lucky and flop a well concealed monster.

Maybe im completly wrong, someone tell me if I am but thats what I remember from a training vid he did at one time.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's pretty much it. His raise reps power cards - this puts him in a good position to C-bet and barrel some bluffs. If he hits the flop, no one really thinks he did and are more likely to challenge him and he can take down a big pot.