Players who know

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In low buy-in MTTs, How many of the players(an estimate) know how to play good poker(odds, how much to bet with the cards their holding, etc)against those who think its a good play to call 5xBB with A-rag and such?
say out of a field of 1800 players at pokerstars.
Just a rough estimate would be fine as I think the answers to this Question will help me play better at those tables and should help me pick at what time in a tourney I can loosen up a bit.

aloevera

aloevera

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think wants you've passed an hour or so, and there's aprox 200 people left the game gets more serious and you start to see the real players emerge. Even then alot of the players are playing on pure luck and still make stupid calls like with K5 suited all in. I play alot of low MTT's and I do because of this reason, the more experienced you are, the more money you play for, and the harder it is. The Low MTT's are almost like playing in freerolls.:eek:

L

lansador

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In low buy-in MTTs, How many of the players(an estimate) know how to play good poker(odds, how much to bet with the cards their holding, etc)against those who think its a good play to call 5xBB with A-rag and such?
say out of a field of 1800 players at pokerstars.
Just a rough estimate would be fine as I think the answers to this Question will help me play better at those tables and should help me pick at what time in a tourney I can loosen up a bit.

Here's my conditional answer(read my disclaimer at the bottom):
Out of 1800 I would say maybe 200 know how to play good poker. I base this on the calls I get to my bets, the bets that are made against the pot size, the bets made from poor position with junkie cards. In any given tourney like this I may sit in about 3 - 4 tables and I'll notice maybe one rarely good players in a table and some tables none.

This is just an anecdotal estimate but the low number is, I think, why I constantly suffer so many bad beats. "You raised my (QQ) 5xbb from good position with K5s??????? And beat me!!!!!!!"

Disclaimer, I've only been playing for about 7 months but have read a couple of books and think I know how to play a decent game of poker - not just cards! I say this because as a point of reference for you to know how much (or little) experience I have.

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is getting worse every day for some reason. I base this on the fact that everyone seems to mini-bet and mini-raise now. What a horrible play. I think that is a big clue that they don't understand pot odds and the purpose of a raise since mini-bets generally serve no purpose except to give someone else more money.