Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This just in from the PPA (Poker Players Alliance):

Presidential Candidate Takes a Stand in Support of Poker Rights

gary_johnson.jpg
In the past week the poker community has had a prominent Congressman introduce legislation to regulate poker and a few days ago a former two-term Governor now presidential candidate has issued a statement in support of poker player's rights. We have told you about Gary Johnson before, he is the former popular Governor of New mexico and he is an ardent opponent of the UIGEA and a proponent of your freedom to play online poker. Here is what Governor Johnson said this week:

Gary Johnson is the former two-term Governor of New Mexico, a Republican candidate for President, and a long-time defender of personal freedom.

And that freedom includes your right to play online poker.

Governor Johnson has strongly condemned the federal crackdown on online poker, arguing that the right to assume risk and to gamble (in the privacy of one's own home, no less) is a basic right that should not involve the government.

Governor Johnson has issued the following statement: “Government has absolutely no business telling Americans what they can do with their own time and their own money on their own computers, and that most certainly should apply to playing poker online. The fact that Americans are now prevented from playing online poker is an outrage. Unfortunately it is but another chilling example of how Congress and the Justice Department continue to trample on our personal liberty.

“As President, I will do everything in my power to restore your right to play online poker, and ensure that such a right can never be taken away again.”​
You can voice your support for poker by going to www.GaryJohnson2012.com/poker.

Governor Johnson is also taking to the poker forums to communicate directly to the poker community. Click here to see what he is saying.

Finally, we are pleased to announce that Governor Johnson will be at the world series of poker on July 8th and available to meet poker players and the media at the PPA Booth. If you are in Las Vegas, we encourage you to stop by the PPA Booth (right outside the Brasilia Poker Room) between 1pm and 3pm to meet Gary Johnson in person.

rssurfer54

rssurfer54

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great, one of the wackos from the Republican party supports it. What is this life.....

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the info. I've never heard of this guy, but the more candidates who come out in favor of legalized online poker, the better.

T

TheVerbalist

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
he prob supports it, but knows there is a fortune to be made

bullishwwd

bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Can't Wait For His Debating The Issue In Presidential Campaign Debates

I think we will get some "good press and advancement of our POKER ISSUE" when he is going to be PRO POKER in the upcoming debates?

I think his straight-forward and common-sense stance on poker can only help our cause ... if he can get the funding, name recognition, backing and the interest of our citizens, he may well get there, but it is a major up-hill battle.

Wally

CheckraiseLife

CheckraiseLife

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
funny thing freedom america... if they did that in UK I would probably move to anotehr country mind, not much reason to stay here.

but yea land of the free....America eh? doubtfull its the relgious politician fanatcics and dirty image of gambling that poker is also lumped in with makes god fearing americans say GAMBLINS BADDD,

to much religion not enough reason in your country example:
US notes: 'IN GOD WE TRUST'
UK note: Darwin on the back of a £10 note - reasonable country imo

Charade You Are

Charade You Are

you can call me Frost
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to much religion not enough reason in your country example:
US notes: 'IN GOD WE TRUST'
UK note: Darwin on the back of a £10 note - reasonable country imo

Can't disagree with the too much religion part. Republicans are pandering to the religious rights social agenda. You have to remember that we have the The First Amendment primarily because of England. You have a constitutionally established state religion. The British monarch is the Supreme Governor of the Church of England, and 26 bishops (Lords Spiritual) sit in the upper house of government, the House of Lords. Just be thankful they are not evangelicals.

On Gary Johnson, I posted about him a while ago, thinking he may be pro poker, but he never answered my email.

Last edited by a moderator:
gefishy

gefishy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Though I have to give credit to anybody who is willing to make any sort of definitive stand on ANYTHING while trying to get a presidential campaign of the ground... something tells me he won't be at the primaries. I have been surprised numerous times but I can say this: If he is, it won't be because he supports regulated online poker. I am glad to see it getting press though. That is always awesome!

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gary Johnson is an incredible example of an American patriot which is exactly why he will never get the nomination to run against Obama in 2012. Between this guy and Ron Paul the two of them could restore America to the great country it once was, but the media will never allow them to be in the public eye long enough to figure it out.

Charade You Are

Charade You Are

you can call me Frost
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gary Johnson is an incredible example of an American patriot which is exactly why he will never get the nomination to run against Obama in 2012. Between this guy and Ron Paul the two of them could restore America to the great country it once was, but the media will never allow them to be in the public eye long enough to figure it out.

Agree, and it sucks.

LarkMarlow

LarkMarlow

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On Gary Johnson, I posted about him a while ago, thinking he may be pro poker, but he never answered my email.

Per his statement in the OP, he sure is pro poker:

“As President, I will do everything in my power to restore your right to play online poker, and ensure that such a right can never be taken away again.”

Last edited by a moderator:
danprince10

danprince10

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Isn't this the guy who wants to legalize marijuana? Yeah he's drawing dead to a miracle on 6th street...

Dreams of Tragedy

Dreams of Tragedy

dreamsoftragedy.com
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
he kind of look like Vince McMahon alittle

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Isn't this the guy who wants to legalize marijuana? Yeah he's drawing dead to a miracle on 6th street...

Yeah lot of people want this. The people who are driving to keep it illegal, are the same people that make the most money busting people every year for it. Yet somehow it is ok to get millions hooked on drugs simply because they are FDA approved.

Bull$hit

Last edited:
LeanAndMean

LeanAndMean

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hate to think I might actually ever vote for a Republican!!