Passing Some Advice Paul Wasicka Gave Me Along

Wolfpack43ACC

Wolfpack43ACC

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I recently emailed Paul Wasicka one of my favorite poker players and he actually responded to it within 2 days which I thought was pretty cool considering he was in the middle of the wsop. Here's how the email and response went down, and I thought I'd pass his advice along to ya'll.

E-Mail:
Paul, I was just curious as to what kind of advice you would offer to people having trouble making the transition from Sit and Go and Tournament style poker to strictly cash game. I tend to stick with running multiple sit and go's at once and I fare pretty well. The thing I've noticed though is that most pros make their money from cash games and such and I'd like to make the transition. Now, I know there is no blueprint on making money in poker, but what kind of advice do you have to offer for such a jump or change in game selection? Any response is greatly appreciated. Good luck in the Main Event!

Response:
I think the biggest thing people struggle with is how much tighter you should be playing in cash games as opposed to tournaments. Sit n Gos you are forced to play, especially once it gets short handed, but a cash game never has increased blinds, so you can be as patient as you like. Try to avoid hands that will create problems down the road - most trouble hands are mid-low aces and kings. If you hit your high card often you will be out kicked and won't have the discipline to fold. Tournaments you are usually trying to put pressure on and get your opponents to fold their hands to you. Whereas cash games you are typically trying to hit a better hand and get paid off. Trust your reads and stay patient. Good luck!

Paul

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well - everyone knows I like this advice! It was nice of you to share this with us.

Wolfpack43ACC

Wolfpack43ACC

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mean his response was common sense, but I did like how he said not to overplay KK in a cash game. A lot of people like to call preflop raises with A junk and it really does kill those K's when that ace peels.

pezjb

pezjb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the response, but better that he even responded. Good player as a favorite, up and coming.