Online poker tells

D

Durrr

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, I read this thing on online poker tells, and believe it or not, they are actually really reliable. Of course the number one is betting patterns, but the second is timing.
If someone takes a long time to check, this means he is weak, and it is actually a trick, because he wants you to think that he has a really big hand, and is going to slow play it hoping you bet, however, he is most likely on a draw, you should bet here.
If someone immediately pushes all in postflop, and the flop is low cards, if he is a very loose donk, then he could definitely be pushing with ak, and you should call his small stack with a mid pair or better.
Also, if someone is calling your bets really fast, he most likely has a draw, and this is also a trick because he wants you to think he has a big hand by calling quickly,
try using these tells to your advantage, they seem to work for me 90% of the time:)

billyjustin

billyjustin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have noticed these before and I try to reverse use them when i feel someone is looking for them. But I agree, this is usually right.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
agree on most of these, especially the draw. Because if they have a monster on a drawy board, they should at least consider raising. most reliable with fishy players because aggressive players will probably consider raising with a draw.

another one is the long, almost time-down, fake-tank then raise or overbet. That's the nuts 99% of the time.

blikbleek

blikbleek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well i think the thing about taking a long time to check really goes both ways.

i always give the appearance of thinking a bit when i flop monsters.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I take a long time to check its generally because I'm all in on another table and I want to see how that ends or I have a big decision on another table that I'm thinking about.

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
another one is the long, almost time-down, fake-tank then raise or overbet. That's the nuts 99% of the time.

Lol this. It's so transparent but I still do it all the time

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I instabet when I flop a monster. This is pretty easy to do because I instabet all the time and I bet almost all flops.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I take a long time to check its generally because I'm all in on another table and I want to see how that ends or I have a big decision on another table that I'm thinking about.

If I'm multitabling I prefer not to even look while the all-in is going on.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I'm multitabling I prefer not to even look while the all-in is going on.

I don't look when I'm running shit but other than that I like to see what I'm up against just out of curiosity.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Depending on online tells, unless you have many, many hands against an opponent is beyond silly.

ckickenking

ckickenking

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know, timing can be really misleading sometime. People can use it in all differently. Also the the lags and multi-tabling.

D

Durrr

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh yea, I guess there is definitely multitabling to think about, i multitabled some, so I always took a long time for actions.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I actually do this as a bluff , ... the fake tank/timedown rr river to look 'as if' monster.. cuz as mentioned, 99% of the time it's the nuts/monster

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If someone takes a long time to check, this means he is weak, and it is actually a trick, because he wants you to think that he has a really big hand, and is going to slow play it hoping you bet, however, he is most likely on a draw, you should bet here.

Truly dependent on the number of tables the opponent is playing or the room environment and distractions or may even be a poor internet connection.
If they are multi or mega tabling this tell may or may not be misleading.
If there are room distractions this may or may not be misleading.
If opponents connection is poor this may and may not be misleading.

Most tells are more player specific rather then general grouping, meaning if you see a tell and then verified the meaning, take note on the player because many players will exhibit specific patterns again and again.

Fast acting is more reliable as far as a tell imo, seldom are there unknown variables that can cause a fast click.

soncheebs

soncheebs

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
agree on most of these, especially the draw. Because if they have a monster on a drawy board, they should at least consider raising. most reliable with fishy players because aggressive players will probably consider raising with a draw.

Seen this a thousand times, very true.

L

LarryT503

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably accurate, however, better players will use these "tells" to deceive you. I know I do at times, and I don't even pretend to be a "good" player. If employing these "tells" be sure to make notes on the ones that reverse them on you.

R

rugby0

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is interesting but there is one item that i have not seen discussed. Is it possible that the player is slow because he/she is looking at their notes?

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is interesting but there is one item that i have not seen discussed. Is it possible that the player is slow because he/she is looking at their notes?

Or blowing his nose... :eek:

-

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Overbets in general are usually the nuts, the tank over-bet just LOL

Fast acting is more reliable as far as a tell imo, seldom are there unknown variables that can cause a fast click.

I think that fast acting is the most reliable tell as it means villian dosent require much thought for his action, i,e TD board and fishy player instant calls.. its usually a draw and usually fits in with his player type not considering raising them.

Poker Tells