One Account?

F

Figment6

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So here is my question; if I were to join a poker site what EXACTLY constitutes an account?

For example on bodog's rules it states:
"Only one account is allowed per household or shared computer."

Does this mean if I sign up, that my husband & I both can not play on the website? Or is the 'account' referring to one bank account per household? :confused:

I am confused, although I know it should be a simple concept. Maybe as I am thinking one money account, but with two players active on that account. Does this make sense to anyone but me?

I think I stepped into this problem on FTP and I want to make sure I completely understand before I potentially mess up yet again. How can trying to have a little fun be such a pain?

Q

quads

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker sites go by the ip address. Only one account per ip address. If you have two different connections going to www then you could have two accounts, and collude all you want.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker sites go by the ip address. Only one account per ip address. If you have two different connections going to www then you could have two accounts, and collude all you want.

poker stars for example will allow multiple accounts per IP, their software will not allow you to play on the same table or tournament.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My husband and I both have Bodog accounts from the same IP address. Most sites must allow it - we both have accounts at FTP and pokerstars too and did at Paradise when they allowed us to play. No site has ever said we couldn't.

M

mischman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker sites dont care how many people play per hosuehold or computers. If you and your wife both want to play, make a 2nd account. The site will evuntually find it and close it saying this is a multiple account and you must provide ID to prove it is legit. usually if you can provide ID, youll be fine.

brutus

brutus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
me and my wife both have accounts on pokerstars and havent had any issues. she has only had her account for a little over a month . something i didnt know was that notes that i make on players will show up no matter which of us is playing

elmo_24

elmo_24

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
as long as you don't try and join the same table/tournament they'll probably never even notice

BKrywko1

BKrywko1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My wife used to occasionally play the freerolls at Party (she has no interest in poker now, however) - all we did was contact CS, tell them that 2 of us wanted separate accounts, but would not play in same tourneys, and we had no issues getting it set up.

Bodog's CS is excellent, so you should have no problem getting 2 accounts set up there.

F

Figment6

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the replies folks. It's nice to know for the most part, the people on here are trying to be helpful. Re: Quads comment, I don't want to collude. I'd been laid up by an extended illness and hubby & I were trying to play against each other. It was really fun the few times we hit freerolls together and could play against each other & the others on the table! We're both strong competitors, not colluders by any stretch of the imagination!

One thing I did learn is that a certain service is not particularly customer service oriented (let's call them Poker Site A). I screwed up and kept trying to sign in & couldn't.

I figured my user name was toast since I tried many times. You know how sometimes you get three chances to login or it's a "Please contact customer support" message.

So I tried to register anew to play some freerolls to kill time when my registration wasn't going through.

Poker Site A then told me I was a 'high risk' person and weren't nice about it since I had tried repeatedly. This was after I went through a couple of their massive server down issues that went on for hours the couple weeks before... at least then we were mid-game and KNEW the service had gone down!

During the times I kept trying they decided to tag me as an offender!Many, many hours later (after I tried repeatedly to log or register in) they FINALLY posted a note on their status page saying the particular games were down. Yes, I had been checking it repeatedly.

DUH! Even as the novice I am with all this stuff, I finally figured out it was not me despite some pretty mean painkillers.

Heck, I even suggested they "Google" me to get an idea of what type of person I am. You know since they have all the identifying information when you sign up.

Nope, they didn't care, all I got was nasty-toned emails stating this is how you get your money back. Jump through our hoops ten times, stand on your head and shout out to us "You are Poker Deities!"

So, should I ever decide to sign up again for online poker, I want to be ABSOLUTELY certain I know exactly what their 'rules' mean and don't get hit with that ugly title again for being a bit naive.

BKywko1 you're right!

For the record, I contacted customer service at BODOG directly. Even with me being not a registered customer of theirs yet, the CS people were awesome! They answered all my questions regarding what we can & can't do. They even offered additional information that was very helpful. A far cry from the nastiness at the other site.

Maybe once I get over the nasty taste left by Poker Site A, I'll try BODOG. My first interaction with them was wonderful! Thanks for the heads-up about them!

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Thanks for the replies folks. It's nice to know for the most part, the people on here are trying to be helpful.

Hey Fig, just wanted to let you know that this site, in fact & in practice is as friendly a site as you are likely to find on the net. It is populated by friendly, helpful, albeit fun loving folks. We poke good natured fun at each other & ourselves constantly, but you can find a serious answer to most any question you have here. Enjoy. :)

F

Figment6

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Kenzie 96, I couldn't agree more!!

THIS site is full of useful information and very friendly, helpful people. And a few smartalecks after my own heart as well. :)

I just wish my first venture into the world of online poker wasn't such a distasteful experience. But like life itself, you take a hit, learn and move on.

I just tried Pitbullpoker which someone mentioned in a post. I found it a bit slow & boring, but very quick customer service. I just wish I knew French, as that is what most of the chat was in.

Keep up the autism awareness! Great cause! Having fun... one way or another. ;)

Crummy

Crummy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My wife and and I both have a Bodog account and play at the same time. I have each of my Poker Clients downloaded on all three of my computers, I just can't log into more than one at a time. So you both can play on the same client, with different accounts.

F

Figment6

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the info. Their CS dept. pretty much said the same thing. So... I guess I will try signing onto BODOG today and see what it's like.

I just hope 'work' doesn't interfere. I'm on call today.

L

Labomba

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am plannning on buying a laptop (because I'm lazy and want to lay on my couch and play). Can i download the poker sites on my laptop and use my same account name? I've never changed computers since I started playing online.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The ip address is hardwired into the ethernet circuitry. If you were to get a router, or hub, and connect 2 pc's, they have different ip addresses so as long as you signed up on different pc's you'd be ok.

L

Labomba

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was going to get a Wireless Router for the Laptop. So you are saying if I do that I can use both computers and I would not have to make another account?

In other words the pokersites don't care how many IP addresses (computers) we use as long as we don't try to make multiple accounts for the same person?

F

Figment6

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems to be that way. If you have access to 500 IP addresses you could set up 500 different accounts. Otherwise, you're breaking the rules.

We learned the hard way after one site crashed a dozen times. We thought our account was lost. Their system status page said "all is right in our world"

I emailed them, they sent a new password, I tried again and again. They then told me "You broke the rules! You set up multiple accounts" I went back & forth with their CS dept. I think it was extrememly rude treatment since I was honest with them from the get go!

If anyone from that website is reading this and cares, your customer service stinks!

I won't name the site, since it was very fun to play on, and I don't want to ruin it for others, but they know who Figment is!

By the way, I still believe in honesty and good customer service goes a long way.

I'd also advise don't put a lot of money into any account as they make you jump through numerous hoops to get your deposit back! As always, don't put in more than you are willing to lose for good! It's supposed to be entertainment.

D

dulekita

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Same question.

What if I open account in my friend house, deposit from his bank account, but play from my home( my IP address). Can they check that is played from my home?

DaFrench1

DaFrench1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Correction

The ip address is hardwired into the ethernet circuitry. If you were to get a router, or hub, and connect 2 pc's, they have different ip addresses so as long as you signed up on different pc's you'd be ok.

Actually, it is the MAC address which is hard coded to individual Network Interface Cards (NIC's). IP addresses can be modified, spoofed, masqueraded, etc. It is not unusual for an ISP (Internet Provider) to proxy your IP address thus making it appear to outside servers and networks that all users at that ISP are from the same address or at least a different one to the one registered to your NIC.

D

dulekita

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My mate from London open a 2 more account in the gaming club, and play from home. He hadn't any kind of problem. And one queastion. Why then you have a log in field( for user and pass) ? Sign in field means that you can start to play with different ID. Am I in right?

A

Alessandra

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone,

I own an internet cafe and was hoping to offer online poker programmes on the computers. Will it work seeing how they have this one-account-per-computer rule?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi everyone,

I own an internet cafe and was hoping to offer online poker programmes on the computers. Will it work seeing how they have this one-account-per-computer rule?

Thanks for your help in advance.

That is a good question - you might want to partner with a site and let them know what you are doing. They might be able to help you out with that.

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My mate from London open a 2 more account in the gaming club, and play from home. He hadn't any kind of problem. And one queastion. Why then you have a log in field( for user and pass) ? Sign in field means that you can start to play with different ID. Am I in right?

I have played from my son's house by logging in with my ID and password. Two IP addresses accessing the same account is no problem. Two accounts using the same IP address is a problem.

Genso Hikki

Genso Hikki

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play on serveral different computers from several different IP addresses and have never had a problem. Also, more than one person lives in my house who plays online poker. We use the same address and phone number, but all of the sites required we set up separte E-passport accounts. Luckily, I've never had to contact customer support at any site yet, but from some of the stories I've read here, I'm dreading the day I have to.

nevadanick

nevadanick

Back to work ... zzzzz
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is probably best to contact the site CS first BEFORE just trying to set up multiple accounts. If they do not reply, you will have problems. If they do not approve of multiple accounts, you will have problems. If they do understand and reply with specific directions on 'how to' set them up or give you certain things to do before setting up multiples, this is where I would consider the accounts and KEEP THE REPLY. You may need it in the future to refer to if you have a problem. GL.