Old Poker documentary. Very interesting.

alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is from History Channel around 2003 I think. Chip Reese is in it and a younger Ivey, Doyle etc. There are a total of 6 parts. I found it on 2+2 and its worth sharing.

ckickenking

ckickenking

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice documentary discovery. I never heard of Chip Reese, must've retired before I started playing.

P

Pafkata

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice documentary discovery. I never heard of Chip Reese, must've retired before I started playing.

He actually died in 2007. He was probably the greatest live cash game player in Vegas in the 1990s, but he was never on TV. He didn't play tournaments at all. He probably entered less than 7-8 televised events in his life.

danprince10

danprince10

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I remember a hand in some wsop tournament on TV where he had KK and Doyle had QQ flop came totally dry doyle bet it, got raised, then folded it pretty quickly I think. No wonder the guy didn't like tournaments haha.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess it's understandable that not all players have knowledge of poker's history and major players, but I'm still surprised that someone involved with poker has never heard of Chip Reese.

Chip was on TV a number of times, poker just didn't get as much coverage back then as it does now. He won the first $50K WSOP Players Championship that now awards the Chip Reese trophy -- it's the event Hellmuth came in 2nd the other night.

Many top players, Doyle Brunson and Phil Ivey included, consider Chip the best all around poker player that ever lived, even by today's standards. He was also by virtually all accounts, one of the nicest most stand-up guys you could ever know. He passed way too early. :(

Last edited:
Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played with Chip on Stars in a micro stud game shortly before he died. Couldn't believe it was him, so asked what happened to the million plus he won at the WSOP. He said it goes fast, or something to that effect... I bluffed him out of a pot and he left the table, about a year later he died, was a good guy and player from all accounts. :( :rolleyes:

jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Chip Reese was the top cash player in the world going back to the mid seventies. He did win the 50K entry WSOP Horse tourney and had other WSOP cashes but was mainly played the highest level cash games. He didn't write books or endorse poker sites so that may have something to do with the fact he is not well known by some.

alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
+1 on all the Chip Reese love. He also wrote the seven card stud section in the first Super System. He just covers the ABC game nothing fancy but the section stands out for its clean writing and clear explanations. Along with Doyles own section on NLHE I think it is the best section in the book.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BTW great vids txs OP :congrats: :hello: