Odds of Flopped Nut Flush vs Turned INSIDE Straight Flush???

T

TREE2K12

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I was dealt A-K diamonds and flop came 3 diamonds, so I had flopped the nut flush. With blinds of only $200/$400 at the time, another player acting before me made a big raise of $2,000 so though my stack was down to $1,700, I snap called all in to his $2K raise, excited that I was about to double up.

He and I were then heads up and when we flipped our cards, I saw that he had flopped a flush of lower value but he then hit an INSIDE STRAIGHT FLUSH on the turn to knock me out with an obvious one outer (5 of diamonds).

So my questions are...What are the odds of flopping a nut flush while holding A-K? What are the odds of TURNING an INSIDE straight flush? And what are the odds of each scenario taking place in the same hand?

Thanks in advance for all replies :)

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Odds of flopping a made flush: 0.842% (about 118 to 1)

Odds of hitting a 1 outer on the turn: 2.22% (about 44 to 1)

Odds of both happening in the same hand: 0.0186924% (about 5,350 to 1)

Edit: I think it's actually even rarer, I may run some more numbers on it later :p

Last edited:
T

TREE2K12

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks Luco, reply greatly appreciated. The first two odds sound about correct and good work, but I agree that the third is probably even more rare than you mentioned, so should you have a chance to run numbers again later, that would be awesome and in the meantime I'll do some additional research as well :)

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well the number above didn't account for the odds that you and your villain will have been dealt the same suit preflop.

Also, you're welcome.

Full Flush Poker Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator