New poker GIMMICKS!

Olddog21

Olddog21

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would love a little feedback on these "new" sites with all their new poker gimmicks such as REBUYS/ADD-ONS! It seems to me that there are fewer and fewer games on the schedule where there is a level playing field...obviously being able to lose your chip stack and just buy right back into the tournament favors the the player who has the larger backroll....what ever happened to the games where you buy in...for $5 ....and you have the same chance of winning as the next guy....these type of tournaments seem to be a thing of the past....now you can risk everything ...lose...and just buy you're way back in!:stupid: :stupid: :stupid:

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Um... you know tournaments with rebuys and add-ons have been around forever, right?

Also they do provide a level playing field because everybody's playing by the same rules with regards to the rebuys and add-ons. If you just don't like playing them then that's a different issue and if your chosen site doesn't have enough other options in the mix that's probably an issue you have to take up with them. But they're not new and they're not unfair per se.

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
obviously being able to lose your chip stack and just buy right back into the tournament favors the the player who has the larger backroll

Obviously fat people have a better chance of winning. :)

B

Bonnie Drasco

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
just depends what you want, some people want to go mad and flip or gamble to get chips. some people prefer the freezeout.
I just think of rebuys as tourneys with reduced fees. I'm going to rebuy twice and addon most likely.

M

MIGO14

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, normally the rebuy is for a limited time. Play your normal game and let them risk their stacks with loose play and get their stack if you have the chance.
I will just play my game with no rebuy and see where I am in the tourney after 1 Hour (rebuy ends). Maybe then I will buy one addon to my stack and thats it.

ckickenking

ckickenking

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Did they come up with a new rebuy and add on rule because ever since I started they been around? Unless this individual who posted this is a noobie lol.

F4STFORW4RD

F4STFORW4RD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually the demise of FT has forced me temporarily into the clutches of the iPoker network (not for long, I can assure you!) and I was amazed when I looked at their MTTs this morning. There wasn't one tournament before the middle of the afternoon (so about 6 hours away) which wasn't a turbo and/or a rebuy.

Fortunately I mainly play SNGs and their non-turbo SNGs were filling up reasonably quickly (by iPoker standards). However for MTT players that don't want to play Turbo/Rebuy it would be fairly frustrating, presumably.

M

MIGO14

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did they come up with a new rebuy and add on rule because ever since I started they been around? Unless this individual who posted this is a noobie lol.
Are you talking about me ?
What´s wrong in my post ?

S

swingro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you talking about me ?
What´s wrong in my post ?
Nope he was talking about olddog. But the dawg is not new here :D.
'Ssup Dog? Having problems on Carbon?:)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I would love a little feedback on these "new" sites with all their new poker gimmicks such as REBUYS/ADD-ONS! It seems to me that there are fewer and fewer games on the schedule where there is a level playing field...obviously being able to lose your chip stack and just buy right back into the tournament favors the the player who has the larger backroll....what ever happened to the games where you buy in...for $5 ....and you have the same chance of winning as the next guy....these type of tournaments seem to be a thing of the past....now you can risk everything ...lose...and just buy you're way back in!:stupid: :stupid: :stupid:
As others have mentioned > rebuy/addons have been around forever. You'll often find on smaller online sites they'll tend to have more r/a mtts in their lobbys (as far as ratio to freezeouts goes). Also, many of their guar. prizepool MTTs will be r/a's
There is 'strategy' to playin' rebuys during the rebuy period. Typically (& very briefly) in rebuy MTTs you'll be sitting at the same table throughout the rebuy period (or at least alot more likely than in a typical freezeout). The chips you lose will still be on the table... stacks will be deeper & will favour the better/more-experienced playerss. (hence while you'll see some players who appear to be shoving & rebuying like madmen but theoretically they might look at it more like 'loaning the others some chips to hang onto for a bit' lol).
If you're thinking about playing a $3r/a just be sure to think more of it as if it's a $10 freezeout because if you're not planning on rebuying at least once (or buying in double) & going with the add-on, you probably shouldn't bother playing it.
You can also look at a r/a mtt as a Deepstack Freezeout that starts after the rebuy period. (the rebuy period is about obtaining that deepstack so you'll be in good shape for the tournament). Generally speaking, if you can obtain a stack of ~7,500 chips in the rebuy period you should be good to go.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Actually the demise of FT has forced me temporarily into the clutches of the iPoker network (not for long, I can assure you!) and I was amazed when I looked at their MTTs this morning. There wasn't one tournament before the middle of the afternoon (so about 6 hours away) which wasn't a turbo and/or a rebuy.

Fortunately I mainly play SNGs and their non-turbo SNGs were filling up reasonably quickly (by iPoker standards). However for MTT players that don't want to play Turbo/Rebuy it would be fairly frustrating, presumably.
Where I live, there are actually many Freezeouts on ipoker during the daytime (10am to 3pm). So 'it depends' on where you live. One of my beefs with ipoker is that the site is completely dead as of ~5pm PT (8pm EST)... the last decent guar. MTT's are at 7pm(est) $33 $3,000guar., 7:30 $10 $1500, 8pm $15 $1,000guar.. A handful of $5 mtt's earlier on.
I 100% agree that there's far too many rebuy/Turbos, SuperTurbo/rebuy etc. etc. (but they do seem to fill up... suits the 'Bingo' players on there i suppose). I've written to support a few times asking them why they don't add in more $5-$20 freezeouts during peak periods because the ones they do have always get decent traffic in them & no doubt if they had twice as many of them they'd fill up as well (the large percentage of players in them are playing in almost All of them.. & am pretty certain they'd be happy to add in a few more tables while playing on there).
Getting way off-topic here... sorry for the derail. Just think that ipoker could improve upon their lobby in a big way. I think one of the big problems they have is that it's many sites playing across one network & if it was just One poker room that they'd be more inclined to get stuff like this happening. (also, one never sees any ipoker/Titan reps. on any of the poker forums?.. how bad is that?).

OP, I think along with the rest of us, you've been spoiled by getting to play on the Big Two - - Stars & FTP. You'd think the other sites could at least learn more from many of the things the BigTwo have done well.

F

fugitive67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously fat people have a better chance of winning. :)
haha, well played!

yeah i avoid rebuy, add-on ... but as far as favoring bigger bankroll, i would disagree from the standpoint of the fact that you have to consider all that money as part of your buy-in ... if you can only afford the initial buy, then choose another tournament, b/c you will be handicapping yourself in the tourney

i guess there is an attraction of maybe being able to win with only the initial buy and/or being able to get back in after a bad beat or 2

oh and being able to top off the tank

to me, i just want to buy-in and play poker ... all that other stuff is distracting ... am i supposed to shove with pocket 8s in the 1st few hands, b/c i can re-buy? ... seems these tourneys could lead to bad habits

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Here's a gimmicky tourney structure for ya.
So I'm checking around on different online poker sites yesterday, looking for any 'July4th' special tourneys (which I was sadly disappointed with my search results... all I could find were $100 hourly freerolls on DoylesRoom...nothing anywhere else). I then consider what to do with my remaining DoylesRoom bankroll so I check through the tourney lobby. Wow.. here's a couple called 'Ridiculous Deepstack'.. I wonder what that's all about? (thinking it's maybe an MTT with 200-300bb starting stack or something)
What a disappointment -> 1,000,000 starting stack but the f'n blinds start at 125k/250k so you're actually in a ridiculously 'ShortStacked' tourney ( w 8bb starting stacks). What a sick joke.

Attachments

• ridic deepstack.gif
    ridic deepstack.gif
    55.4 KB · Views: 36
cardriverx

cardriverx

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As others have mentioned > rebuy/addons have been around forever. You'll often find on smaller online sites they'll tend to have more r/a mtts in their lobbys (as far as ratio to freezeouts goes). Also, many of their guar. prizepool MTTs will be r/a's
There is 'strategy' to playin' rebuys during the rebuy period. Typically (& very briefly) in rebuy MTTs you'll be sitting at the same table throughout the rebuy period (or at least alot more likely than in a typical freezeout). The chips you lose will still be on the table... stacks will be deeper & will favour the better/more-experienced playerss. (hence while you'll see some players who appear to be shoving & rebuying like madmen but theoretically they might look at it more like 'loaning the others some chips to hang onto for a bit' lol).
If you're thinking about playing a $3r/a just be sure to think more of it as if it's a $10 freezeout because if you're not planning on rebuying at least once (or buying in double) & going with the add-on, you probably shouldn't bother playing it.
You can also look at a r/a mtt as a Deepstack Freezeout that starts after the rebuy period. (the rebuy period is about obtaining that deepstack so you'll be in good shape for the tournament). Generally speaking, if you can obtain a stack of ~7,500 chips in the rebuy period you should be good to go.

To have a large guarentee, these websites need it to be a rebuy because they wouldn't make enough money to cover the guarantee then. I hate rebuys too but there are some low guarantee freezeouts that occur periodically.