Moving on to the next level of thinking..

OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At the moment I'm a 2nd level thinking player, in big hands I do tend to think on a 3rd level but for the majority I'm 2nd level player.

Regs, do you naturally improve to the next level of thinking or is there training or something to help improve your thought processes.

:willy:

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not much natural about it - you have to do it on purpose. What you have going for you is Level 1 and 2 becomes less effort after a while which allows you to focus on it.
Best exercise is to practice it in the hands you are not involved with. Pick the lead bettor and try to figure out what he is thinking about his opponents.
When you actually do it in your own hand it requires some very objective attention to your own actions. Best to make sure to ask yourself this question before any action - "If I (action here - call, raise, check), what will that cause my opponent to think about what I am doing?" Then you can consider modifying your action.

OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not much natural about it - you have to do it on purpose. What you have going for you is Level 1 and 2 becomes less effort after a while which allows you to focus on it.
Best exercise is to practice it in the hands you are not involved with. Pick the lead bettor and try to figure out what he is thinking about his opponents.
When you actually do it in your own hand it requires some very objective attention to your own actions. Best to make sure to ask yourself this question before any action - "If I (action here - call, raise, check), what will that cause my opponent to think about what I am doing?" Then you can consider modifying your action.

Thanks for this, actually a decent reply, get a lot of people that either look and don't comment or put 2 words so this is really useful.
Found myself absent mindedly doing that of late, just watching the Stars bigger games online, like 5/10.. but some of the players on there are appalling IMO, or maybe I was thinking, they are on a higher level of thinking? Or they could just have the roll for that level haha :)

Question: can you think at Level 3 about a hand your not involved in when the other players could only be Level 1 thinkers?

mrmonkey

mrmonkey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Question: can you think at Level 3 about a hand your not involved in when the other players could only be Level 1 thinkers?

You can, but you will be shooting yourself in the foot. It is best to always think only one level above your opponents. If you try to think on a level 3 or 4 basis against a level 1 drooler, you will level yourself and end up making the wrong play.