dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Looking for free Movie Making software.

Reference this thread;

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cash-games-11/group-study-video-review-203602/index2.html

Where we needed to make a video of a relatively short session and present it to a group for review.

Well, I had never made a video before, and asked and got a suggest to try out Camtasia. They offer a 30 day trial. It works, pretty fancy stuff actually, but in 27 days or so I will not be paying up for the real registration.

I tried to get Camstudio to work. It is freeware, but hasn't had any attention in years, and I could not get it to work at all.

So I am still looking for decent Poker Vid making software that is freeware.

As for making a vid. Again, total noob at the presentation arts, but I at least understand what I am willing to watch. I don't want to watch a kaleidoscope. I want the stuff I am expected to be focusing on, to be clear, relatively uncluttered so that I can focus on things. I want the sound to be intelligible. I want HD, or dam fine graphics if I am expect to read the fine print.

I made several vids so far. The Camtasia software is nice, I am learning it, but each of those vids has some issue as to why, from a purely artistic viewer POV I don't want to post them. Likely I will need to further explore movie making.

Also have noticed that Camtasia does not record Cake poker tables....... ODD....

Last edited:
Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also have noticed that Camtasia does not record Cake poker tables....... ODD....

Yes it does.

Make sure "capture layered windows" is ticked.

Otherwise you have a problem specific to your machine, Camtasia does record cake poker.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes it does.

Make sure "capture layered windows" is ticked.

Otherwise you have a problem specific to your machine, Camtasia does record cake poker.

Thanx for the tip, will retry.

Recorded a Carbon session yesterday, and my HUD was running, but it didn't capture to the recording...Same problem?

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I made several vids so far. The Camtasia software is nice, I am learning it, but each of those vids has some issue as to why, from a purely artistic viewer POV I don't want to post them. Likely I will need to further explore movie making.

Your not recording the next Miramax production.

I have never, before, heard someone say they didnt want to post a poker video for "artistic" reasons!

Most likely you need to record fewer tables and simply remove any autofocus.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanx for the tip, will retry.

Recorded a Carbon session yesterday, and my HUD was running, but it didn't capture to the recording...Same problem?

Yes usually thats the reason the HUD is missing.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BTW why are you looking for a freeware solution if you have Camtasia?

Camtasia is the best screen recording software available.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
BTW why are you looking for a freeware solution if you have Camtasia?

30 day trial of Camtasia, 25 or so days left.

If there were any working freeware products out there I would go free. I have not found any working version of a vid making freeware that will capture poker tables. Most want some sort of video input, but not screen capture, and will make the movie, but only Camtasia (so far) can do it using the window capture.
Still looking ........

B

bigjoker66

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have had all that stuff working in the past. It is a pain to set up.

Why not use something like justin.tv or ustream.tv? also the video is stored on their server. Make a private passworded room if you don't want people wandering into it.

NEWTDOG101

NEWTDOG101

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
dj11 PM me if you would like to get Camtasia freeware.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Camstudio does work if you need a (legal) free solution. I've used it before. Much prefer Camtasia though, it's pretty much the Cadillac of screencam software on Windows. There are a few other free/cheap solutions out there, but none that I would pick over these two.

You need to enable overlay support to get your HUD to appear.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Camstudio does work if you need a (legal) free solution. I've used it before. Much prefer Camtasia though, it's pretty much the Cadillac of screencam software on Windows. There are a few other free/cheap solutions out there, but none that I would pick over these two.

You need to enable overlay support to get your HUD to appear.

I tried Camstudio, dl'd the freeware from more than one site, and more than one version, and it just would not start up.

I

iampi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I use Camstudio, but it is definitely not bug free... But if you get the right settings it does the trick for most things.

D

dan abnormal

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Those are the options camstudio or camtasia and both are over $200 each.

I was gonna record something but no sense getting hooked on a program like these

I have a screen recorder program but I dont think I can narrate on it, but it will capture a full game in mpeg format . The audio thing is just as well cause the audio and video track get off from each other but it was cheap program

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Those are the options camstudio or camtasia and both are over $200 each.
No, Camstudio is free. Camtasia runs around $200, although if you can swing an Academic discount for yourself or through a family member, it can be had for $80 or so. Regardless, those are not your only options.

It's definitely a case of getting what you pay for, as Camtasia is head & shoulders above everyone else in the screen recording industry, but there are cheaper and free options that are often good enough for most people.

BSR Screen Recorder, for instance, is only $50 and quite full-featured.

AutoScreenRecorder Free is by the same people who do ScreenHunter, which is a screen capture software popular with some other CC'ers. It looks like you need to upgrade to the Pro version for $50 to record audio, however, according to the version comparison chart. Of course you could always post-edit and add your voice commentary using other software too.

Google will find a number of other free options. Some you'll find are dated or web-based, but I've used several of them over the years and found them usable to some degree (not necessarily for poker).