making a living as a pro

C

crazywest

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hey guys for once this aint a topic about ''how do i win millions as a pro'', but more whats it like being a pro
for all the pros out there who use online poker as there main source of income answer each question as followed

1. whats it like playing poker each and everyday ( is it boring, fun, tiring, do you only play weekdays)
2. without getting to personal how much money do you make a month from poker ( average, above average, very high)
3. what do you feel is the most profitiable game type and why
4. what was your lowest point in your jorney to being a winning online player
5. what is your most greatest moment as a poker player
6. 1 sentance of advice you would give to a new player starting out

hope you enjoy answering the questions

B

bigphatmike

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well i cant really consider myself a full pro but ive been playing 3 yrs straight and i would like to think i know a thing or two :D
1.it can become boring, but thats when you need to take a step back because your not gonna play your best..
2.I personally just started the chris ferguson challenge. from starting at 0 i have averaged about 400 a month.... not including my recently 3k win
3.it depends on your style and where your playing at. for me its mtts.
4. A lot of poker players have gona broke several times and i am definitely one of them.. you have to have good bankroll Management if you ever want to succed.
5.actually yesterday when i won 3k it was very excited my throat is still kinda soar from yelling so much
6. to a new poker player- dont sit with me and ill eat ya up :d lol jk.. it would prolly be again to use good BRM and never min raise preflop

E

eazy489

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Crazywest,

I have been playing poker on a daily basis for the last 5 years. I am 24, graduated from an ivy league school with a business degree. I have profited over 100k online and over 30k live. Here are my answers to your questions:

1. Don't let anyone fool you. Playing poker everyday and for a living is a full time job. What most people don't understand is how much work they have to put in at becoming a better poker player. Poker is like most things in life. Real success doesn't come easily. You have to be willing to put in endless hours of work to become very good at the game. You can start with the training sites online (bluefire, deucescracked, cardrunners) . Putting in that much work will get you good at the game, and then going to 'work' everyday will be fun more than anything else, because you are better than most players and will win more than you lose. Losing days will be very frustrating, but its all about the long run. You have to cope with and become good at restraining yourself when you are having a bad day. Also, you should only play when you feel good. You shouldn't play when you are tired, drunk , etc. Having a fresh mind is so important, I can't stress it enough. Taking a day or two off when you don't feel great is always better than playing through a tiredness or something like that.

2. This depends on what kind of poker you are playing and at what limits. IMO, even low stakes grinders (grinding .10/.25 or .25/50 or low stakes MTTs ($20 Buyins etc) you can make 2-3k in any given month. The higher the stakes you play the more $$ you can make obv. Grinding out 1/2 NL online you can make a solid 7-10k/month. But these days, the 1/2 grinders are on the verge of going pro, if not already pros. They are REALLY good. There isn't a big leap in skill level these days from 1/2 to 5/10, or from 5/10 to 25/50. I consider myself one of those players on the verge of going pro.

3. I think NL Hold em and Pot Limit Omaha are the two most profitable games today. As I said, even playing low stakes, you can still make a decent living playing 6 handed, full ring and heads up. Heads up is by far my favorite form out of these there. It is the purest form of poker and if you can get good at it, it will help you become a better all around player.

4. The lowest point in my journey was building up a roll of about 50-60k in college and the year after and then blowing it on bad bankroll mgmt and awful spending habits. This is the one thing most people don't understand and never grasp. You see ppl like Chino Rheem, Jamie Gold and Charles Barkley who have extremely sizeable gambling debts after they have won or made tons of money. They never really grew up. To become a pro, a true pro, you have to become an adult first. You have to understand that gambling for a living requires extreme discipline. I learned it the hard way, but fortunately for me I learned it at an early age. That was my lowest point for sure.

5. My greatest moment is tough to narrow down. When I was 18 I won my first big tournament for $25k. I thought I was invincible. It was only then and after losing a lot of that roll that I realized how much I had to learn and how far I had to go to become a pro. But my greatest moments were far after that. I had a 20k win at the wsop, and have also had a few other 5 figure wins online. It is proving to yourself and everyone else that you can do it again and again that makes it all worth it. It's not the first time you do it, its every time thereafter.

6. Realize that poker requires extreme discipline. You have to practice good Bankroll mgmt. Good rule of thumb: Pros recommend 100 buy ins for the given level you are playing (i.e. 1/2 NL = 20,000) .. I believe that you can get away with 50-60 buy ins at the lower levels if you really know what you are doing. The higher up you go the more buy ins you need to deal with variance.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
M

Money11Charlie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Those are the most informative blogs or posts I have ever read regarding online poker play and playing in general.I must say well said.Its takes years to master this game and be profitable.I am very impressed with the knowledge and caliber of players that are members here.Handsdown the most informative site ever.Well done.

C

crazywest

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
can i just say thanks to any one who replied, eazy489 without doubt best post ive read for a long long time thank again dude

Nouchebag

Nouchebag

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
GREAT ADVICE!!!

This is a great thread!! I definately respect what everyone says! BRM IS EVERYTHING!! I think anyone that plays "seriously" at all understands that. My question to everyone, especially easy, how do you know if you are a sucesfull bank roll manager? Is it as easy as i still have one so im doing good? My other question is for easy. If you had to give someone a list of steps to follow to get to, or get close to, where you are right now what would those steps be, assuming that person is a break even player. (after 3 years of playing I am roughly even to where i started. plus or minus $500)

Thanks everyone

E

eazy489

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hey nouchebag,

Determining whether you are taking a successful approach to bankroll mgmt can be looked at in a few ways. First, are you sticking to your plan? Let's say you are playing .10c/.25c, you should have a bankroll i would say of somewhere between 2k and 2.5k. Are you sticking to your plan of only playing that limit and lower? Do you find yourself buying in at higher levels when you are having an off day to make up for the lost buy ins? You need to make sure you are sticking to your plan and also having the discipline to only play the limits you can afford. Put a stop/loss on each day if you have to. For instance, if you are playing that level mentioned above, if you lose $100 in a day, call it quits for the day. That is the first step to succesful BRM. The next one is important when CHANGING your limits. Here's my rule of thumb. Lets say i start out with 2k for .10/.25c blinds. I find that I lose my first 20 buy ins due to variance along with some poor play. Now i am down to 1500. I would most likely drop a level as well b/c my BR isn't sufficient anymore for 25NL. I would drop down to 10NL and try to build back up to around 2 or 2.5k. On the opposite side, if i had 2k and built it up to 4k pretty quickly at 25NL, I would most likely move up to 50NL and play there for a few days and see how I do. Whenever moving up limits, my advice would be to take it extremely slow, don't play 10 tables at once. Play a few tables and get used to the table dynamic. In conclusion, knowing whether or not you are successful at BRM comes down to 2 things imo: 1)whether you are being disciplined enough at your level and 2) doing the right things when you move up or down levels.

To your next question I don't have a great answer. All i would say is that you need to work extremely hard at becoming a good poker player. Read, watch online videos, and most importantly learn from your OWN mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes in this game, the ones who get better are the ones who sit down afterwards and analyze their mistakes so they don't keep making them.

Hope that helps.

rayphil83

rayphil83

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
very nice information especially for someone like me who I consider my self a newb..since I have played in a few live small tourneys i have met some interesting people but this site has a lot of great knowledge and poker players...

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
do you only play weekdays
I'm just a donk 'but', typically the juiciest time to play is on the 'weekend'. Most pros would be looking to take off time during the week, not the weekend.

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nice posts eazy. Whats your play/study ratio and also what kinda of things do you study and what ways do you study effectively?

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice stuff there Eazy.

Intrigued, why you join this forum as a winnign player? Is it purely to give advice to us novices? hehe :)

On another note, I'd love to rail you, which sites do you play at and whats your screenname?

OP: I can't answer, I'm just another donk ;)

N

nightmoves44

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
good post

Great question.Im glad to read the answers.I only play for fun mainly myself and far far from being a pro.
If I had to play 8hrs+ a day,I am sure I would start hating poker pretty fast.However I do want to be good enough to win some games,which Ive done online.But not any big money yet.
My hat goes off to the people who can play online hours on end,in multiple games.Thaat is alot of real work!

E

eazy489

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys sorry for the long absence of posts. Been busy grinding alot in Atlantic city.

I used to study a lot more when I was coming up, lately I haven't been studying much at all which is a problem I'm going to fix. I would say in the beginning you should study at least 1 hour for every 3-4 that you play. That may sound like a lot, but IMO you can learn more in the beginning by studying rather than playing. As you learn though and become a better player, you need to play more and more for a few reasons .. 1) you need to practice what you've learned and apply it 2) you need to grow as a player and form your OWN style of play. So I would say that in the beginning (before you hit 100 NL) you should study 1 hour for every 3-4 that you play. I remember I studied a lot Monday-Wed and played a lot wed-sun, something I am going to pick up again. I think the most valuable tools to study are the online training sites. Deucescracked, cardrunners are the best IMO then bluefire. Use tournamentpokeredge if you are a tournament player. Take notes on the lessons taught, trust me that is the best way to make it stick. You need to take studying seriously if you want to become a good player.

P

peedee91

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
great post eazy.... but question...where do you think the best all around poker site is......it says you play on bodog...do you like bodog?...would you suggest I play on it?

E

eazy489

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PeeDee,

I am a US Player, and as of right now our only choices here in the US are Merge and Bodog. I chose bodog because the games were super soft and I was able to profit from their cash games on a consistent basis. Bodog has just implemented new software though where you can't see who you are playing against. No longer can you see people's screen names. So, I've switched back over to tournaments for the time being, because my 'edge' in cash games is gone b/c I can't track my opponents. I would say that if you have been playing on Carbon to keep playing on there for now, although I wouldn't keep more than 10% of my roll on there at any one time. Bodog does have some good daily tournaments and they have their 100k tournament on Sundays, just like merge.