Making a bluff with a low stack

D

Dave0309

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are reletively low stack and sense that other people may have a hand that is not too good compared to what is on the table, and you have an OK hand, how do you make chips on this. If you go all in, people with the larger stack may fold but as may call, and you might get knocked out. But if you make a minimum bet, which is a large portion of your strack, this will be very small compared to the other players, and they will call for sure. A bet in the middle is proboly best, but how much.

blacksun

blacksun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO if you believe you are ahead, then in a situation when u r short stacked u have to push allin that way you are making the statement that u believe you are ahead and if your opponent is a decent player then he will probably realise its not cost effective to call, obviously the problem is online there does seem to be a more call and see mentality but if u r ahead and get outdrawn then thats just poker and the best way to play is to always try and get your money in when u r ahead, long term u will win more than u lose.

A

Allsopp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This concept is called fold equity. You must always try to ensure in poker that you have enough chips at all times to make people fold. Having a shortstack and knowing people will call if you go all in is not good. You must be able to get people to fold. So, as soon as you find yourself short stacked, you should move all in with any marginal hand. If you go bust, its better than holding on and getting further blinded out and losing your fold equity. As soon as I have less than 12 big blinds in a tournament, I will move in with any suited connector and any ace or pocket pair until I am safe again. This is not bluffing its just putting pressure on opponents when you still have a big enough stack to do them damage and when they wont want to double you up.

You must retain fold equity to be successful in tournaments where you are running bad!