Lowest variance micro stakes game to play?what should i do

2huskys

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started playing micro stakes cash games and had extremely bad up nd down variance due to suck outs then tried sit n gos at another site nd got on well then came back to ftp and played them and experienced massive bad variance even whilst dropping 2 down levels. Then i went to 888 poker to try bonus whore and played heads up sngs but the rake is quite high and there are still suckouts so ended break even really. now im at pokerstars bonus whoreing playing cash games again at 2nl nd already im sick of the variance again, it is so bad it is unbelievable ive lost haf my roll now up to this point.

Any time im well ahead and get it in some ****er sucks out and that has been the story of my poker all year since i started. how did chris ferguson do his challenge?it seems impossible and im following his rules. I came up with the idea to play cash and a tourney so as the cash kinda acts as a free roll into tourneys which will give you the chance to hit big overtime which i belive is pretty much what ferguson did. but my roll is down to $57 ****ing dollars from 120 im at the lowest cash game and wont be able to play it now ive only a few buy ins left nd cant even buy in to a 1$tourney. Ferguson does give the exception to buy in to a game thats up to $2.50 with any roll though.

what should i do?recommendations?

D

doom

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
hm i think you have problems with adopting your play to table you are playing at and biggest rake is on micro limit do not forget that too

2huskys

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its not I am adapting to players most of them are calling stations so I dont bluff i play simple abc poker and bet for value when i hit my hands else i fold

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Kick an old lady across the street? Drop a baby on it's head? ... idk :confused:

nc_royals

nc_royals

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally have only been able to consistently show a profit on Sit n Go's. If you'd choose these I'd stay away from the turbos because IMO they lead you to more push/fold decisions and less poker playing.

Also at the lower stakes reallize that some people are going to call a raise to see a flop no matter what theyre holding. Thus if Im raising, Im raising with a strong hand and I limp with the hands I want to see flops cheap with such as suited connectors and small pairs. That being said at the small stakes, the same people who want to see a flop with any two cards are also the same people who want to make the money no matter what so look to attack that as the bubble approaches.

Goodluck

F

fx20736

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started playing micro stakes cash games and had extremely bad up nd down variance due to suck outs then tried sit n gos at another site nd got on well then came back to ftp and played them and experienced massive bad variance even whilst dropping 2 down levels. Then i went to 888 poker to try bonus whore and played heads up sngs but the rake is quite high and there are still suckouts so ended break even really. now im at pokerstars bonus whoreing playing cash games again at 2nl nd already im sick of the variance again, it is so bad it is unbelievable ive lost haf my roll now up to this point.

Any time im well ahead and get it in some ****er sucks out and that has been the story of my poker all year since i started. how did chris ferguson do his challenge?it seems impossible and im following his rules. I came up with the idea to play cash and a tourney so as the cash kinda acts as a free roll into tourneys which will give you the chance to hit big overtime which i belive is pretty much what ferguson did. but my roll is down to $57 ****ing dollars from 120 im at the lowest cash game and wont be able to play it now ive only a few buy ins left nd cant even buy in to a 1$tourney. Ferguson does give the exception to buy in to a game thats up to $2.50 with any roll though.

what should i do?recommendations?

• Play tighter, don't play junk hands OOP.
  • Don't bluff so much, hardly at all
  • Never slowplay big hands, ever, never try and be cute and limp with AA.
  • fold everything but AA/KK when you are 3bet unless you have a very good read on your opponent.
  • If your preflop raise gets called, your c-bet gets called and you get raised on the turn lay down single pair hands unless you have a very good read on your opponent.
  • Don't call large river bets with a single pair hand unless you have a very good read on your opponent.
  • Accept getting sucked out on as part of playing micros and don't adjust your style of play because of bad beats.

2huskys

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
  • Play tighter, don't play junk hands OOP.
  • Don't bluff so much, hardly at all
  • Never slowplay big hands, ever, never try and be cute and limp with AA.
  • fold everything but AA/KK when you are 3bet unless you have a very good read on your opponent.
  • If your preflop raise gets called, your c-bet gets called and you get raised on the turn lay down single pair hands unless you have a very good read on your opponent.
  • Don't call large river bets with a single pair hand unless you have a very good read on your opponent.
  • Accept getting sucked out on as part of playing micros and don't adjust your style of play because of bad beats.
I do all of the above bullet points. for example I got hu on a 1$ sit n go last nite. the guy i was playing with was shite. he sucked out on me 3 times to win it.The rake is %20 also on those which is extortion. even ferguson said that when he started playing the lowest limits nd sit n gos he was breaking even then came 2nd in a tourney which helped him.

ferguson really done the challenge by cashing big in tourneys and used his rules to minimize losses so when he hit big he got maximum payout if that makes sense so he was kinda free rolling into them in a way, i think so i mite try nd focus more on mtt nd maybe sngs on the site i like the idea of taking first and cashing a lot in one go it seems more rewarding.

This is probably contradicting what im saying because tourneys are massive variance which i find easier to accept but also the donks wipe themselves out in the early and middle stages so there are less really bad plays.

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
2NL cash will be the best to play if you want to reduce variance. Play with 100BB, not shorter.

At some point you will have to realise that variance is simply a natural part of poker, and the whole idea of BRM is to offset the effects of variance as much as possible, allowing you to ride out downswings.

Tournaments, especially micros, will be huge variance, as will turbo SnGs.

Some tips for 2NL:

- Don't bluff too much against unknowns - identify those who love to peel flops weak then fold turns, and those who love to just call down, and make notes.
- Use a HUD and adjust according to opponents. Be willing to stack off much lighter preflop against crazy people (AQ+, TT+ for example), of which there are many.
- Raise to 4x or 5x pre with big hands
- Against people who fold too much preflop or play fit or fold postflop, hammer the hell out of them with small raises pre or small bluffs on the flop

darkassassin89

darkassassin89

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BTW if you feel that you are losing TOOO much... (bc i felt for a time thatFTP was out 2 get me ;) ) remember this... you can lose as much as 40 BB!!! (BUY INS!!!) on a down swing... SEriously... I have a friend who is awesome at poker and never had a bad downswing, but when he did OH man he FLipped! Luckily he is kinda a NIT and he does not go out of his BR, after about 2 weeks of downward spiral, he hit a final table cash (5th) and got all his loses back and then some....

However, if u lose more than 40 buy ins, you may have some leaks and need to re think your game play. And possibly better table slection.

D

doom

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
if you ask me Lowest variance micro stakes game is stud not holdem

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The lowest variance game should be the one you play the best.

joe steady

joe steady

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you ask me Lowest variance micro stakes game is stud not holdem
idk, you have to be good at stud to stay ahead of the antes + rake, which is pretty bad until you get up to like .25/50.

2huskys

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BTW if you feel that you are losing TOOO much... (bc i felt for a time thatFTP was out 2 get me ;) ) remember this... you can lose as much as 40 BB!!! (BUY INS!!!) on a down swing... SEriously... I have a friend who is awesome at poker and never had a bad downswing, but when he did OH man he FLipped! Luckily he is kinda a NIT and he does not go out of his BR, after about 2 weeks of downward spiral, he hit a final table cash (5th) and got all his loses back and then some....

However, if u lose more than 40 buy ins, you may have some leaks and need to re think your game play. And possibly better table slection.

I dunno its just a complete joke ive started playing $1 sngs again now cause ive dropped down that much and ive only won one nd a 3rd out of the last 7or8. The people are so shyte and suck out on me all the time some bytch called my re raise nd all my bets on an ace high flop i had ak she had a4 nd rivered a 4 so lost a bit of my stack there.

I always lose 55 45s or 50 50s or even 60 40s when i need a double up. Then the donks think they are awesome and tell you that you suck and that you dont know how to play poker etc etc i had some asehole to day call my 3 bb raise on the button with ATs from the sb with 92o and he flopped 3 2s i had a T so lost a bit of stack there. makes me :icon_puke

Im gonna try focus on tourneys aswell now cause when you get far in those you can win a lot nd a lot of the donks go out early and can be easy to get a double up of them.

dwolfg

dwolfg

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try looking at table selection. Look at average pot size and players/flop. Larger these numbers are, the more people at the table are either bluffing or calling light. Play tag at these tables. I look for tables with at least 50 bb average pot.

Top 10 Games