Let's build some bankroll - who's with me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
heatfan03

heatfan03

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They say that you should never Chase money to win.

You can use all the "reasons" for your actions you like Chris, but from an outsider it "sounds" and "looks" like you are chasing to get "your" money back.

I personally think its a bad idea to do this, but wish you good luck.
yeah im prety hypocritical and did the same thing. I threw away my whole bankroll last night after going down about 40 percent being a noob. I thought i had finally gained control as this is the best i have done so far. I wanna deposit again but its not like money grows on trees, but i dont see any other way to do it. I know i said this before that i had learnt my lesson but in one of the last ring games i was blowing my cash in someone said something to another player and i realized thats what these winning guys have. Br managment. I am not a winning player without it.

B

bustme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Actually, we can do some math on this. Assume a $2K bankroll, we're playing 200NL. The lowest stakes I would play without redepositing is 10NL.

200NL: 2000 -> 1400 (3 buy-ins)
100NL: 1400 -> 700 (7 buy-ins)
50NL: 700 -> 350 (7 buy-ins)
25NL: 350 -> 175 (7 buy-ins)
10NL: 175 -> 70 (10 buy-ins)

I will go broke if I lose 34 buy-ins from here on out. I'll take that risk all day long.

If you are one of the best pokerplayers in consider risk .
10 buyins is enough.

Starting bankroll 100%

1 month later 1850%

I started with 5 buyins

worst downswing 8 buyins

Last edited:
pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree. Chris, please use the 1% rule until I come up with some numbers regarding optimal BR management. PLEASE!

I am not familiar with the 1% rule. Please expound.

calibanboy

calibanboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chris, please do not think that I am getting at you. You can obviously play poker verywell.

However please take a step back.

Here are a few of your comments over the past few days...

"This has nothing at all to do with pride. It has only to do with not wanting to lose months of work."

"grinding it out is not an option now because I'll have lost all that work."

I have hopefully attached an emotional curve. Its shows the emotions people go through when a change to the status quo happens. For you the status quo was winning. Since then you have had a bad run. The status quo is no more.

Basically there has been a major change.....Which stage of the curve do you think you are in?

Change Curve copy

I personally do not think your comments reflect stage 3.

Anyhow, I hope this helps.

Monoxide

Monoxide

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think im stuck at the depression part and i cant seem to get out, been there for about 6 months!!!1 :eek:

most of the time its confusion then depression, they need a spot for confusion.

heatfan03

heatfan03

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think im stuck at the depression part and i cant seem to get out, been there for about 6 months!!!1 :eek:

i am at acceptance and i think im close to moving on AHH! chika chika yeah !!

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok, I guess I'm a little late, but I'll start now. I just finished building $100 to $500 the second time (didn't cash out, tilted it last time, promised myself not to do it again). I'm gonna start playing 25nl and I'll post my progress here, gonna start playing at 25nl tomorrow.

Day 0: 100% ($502.16)

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

And a spot for urinated off when donkeys get inside straight draws.

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok, I guess I'm a little late, but I'll start now. I just finished building $100 to $500 the second time (didn't cash out, tilted it last time, promised myself not to do it again). I'm gonna start playing 25nl and I'll post my progress here, gonna start playing at 25nl tomorrow.

It's never to late to start. This thread had no set beginning and there is no end.

D

Deadeye Jacks

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey all. This is my first post on the site and I was very encouraged my this stream. Thanks Chris. I went through a lot of the stream and was proud to see your rise. But also proud to see regardless of what system you are using you are not afraid to document it. Stay confident and get back on track buddy.

As for me, I am just starting this little tool because I have been getting dominated in the live poker cash games as of late and feel it is important for me to get back online. I need to see more hands, build a little confidence and overall put together some kind of rules and regulations for my own bankroll.

After my last withdrawal on Full Tilt I still had a remaining balance of $48 dollars. This was a perfect start for me. I am going to stay away from cash games because my bankroll is a bit demanding for the level I want to play (.25 - .50 NL). I started the day playing SnG heads up and single table at a hefty $6. I got hot, played smart but aggressive and stand now with a bankroll of $128.

Day 0 - 49.0 (0%)
Day 1 - 128.0 (261%)

Any recommendations for future play would be great. I think I will stay at $6 because of the 20 buy-in rule. But I placed in almost every SnG and was better than 70% for heads up. Thanks for the motivation everyone and good luck.:ciao:

Cheetah

Cheetah

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not familiar with the 1% rule. Please expound.

Chris Fergusson uses the 5% rule meaning you never have more than 5% of your BR at the tables. The 1% rule would be to not have more than 1% of BR on tables.

These are arbitrary numbers. They depend on at least the following factors:
  1. The profitability of the player.
  2. The variance of the games chosen.
  3. The "utility" of the BR. Utility of money is a measure of the marginal value of money. For example, no one would consider it a disaster to lose $100 because it is easy to replace from other sources. But losing $1M if that's your only million has a much higher "utility".
  4. Whether the objective is to grow a BR, or use a BR as a means of income.
I think Chris has decided to use a larger % of BR to play because of #3 and #4. Playing full games (#2) mitigates to certain extend the risk of playing too big.

Any "rule", whether it be 5% or 1%, is necessarily too general and should be applied with caution by a specific player because of the factors above.

Cheetah

Cheetah

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chris, please do not think that I am getting at you. You can obviously play poker verywell.

However please take a step back.

Here are a few of your comments over the past few days...

"This has nothing at all to do with pride. It has only to do with not wanting to lose months of work."

"grinding it out is not an option now because I'll have lost all that work."

I have hopefully attached an emotional curve. Its shows the emotions people go through when a change to the status quo happens. For you the status quo was winning. Since then you have had a bad run. The status quo is no more.

Basically there has been a major change.....Which stage of the curve do you think you are in?

View attachment 7958

I personally do not think your comments reflect stage 3.

Anyhow, I hope this helps.

BTW, just wanted to point out that the emotional stages shown on the graph are exactly the same as when you lock your keys in the car.

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chris Fergusson uses the 5% rule meaning you never have more than 5% of your BR at the tables. The 1% rule would be to not have more than 1% of BR on tables.

I thought it might be an adjunct to Chris Ferguson's rules that I had not heard of. I see it is instead of his rules. Since this thread is predicated on Chris Ferguson's rules, why would we change?

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Day 1: 99.65% ($500.41)

Played for about 20 minutes today.

Cheetah

Cheetah

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought it might be an adjunct to Chris Ferguson's rules that I had not heard of. I see it is instead of his rules. Since this thread is predicated on Chris Ferguson's rules, why would we change?

It is not predicated per say. There is no evidence that I know of that 5% is a better overall rule than 3%.

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, I am kinda breaking even again, but at a higher level. When I first started, I was playing $0.50/$1 and now I am playing $2/$4. So, when I break even I have made four times as many player points. Not that those have done me much good, but there is always the chance.

Day 31 took a little hit to pay for superbowl square or it would have been about a half percent higher.

27 105.7%
28 104.2%
29 101.2%
30 101.3%
31 103.0%

Attachments

• PigpenNew.jpg
    PigpenNew.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 88
wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After my initial, "I Quit" thread, I of course tried to start to get it going again since I didn't deposit to start with. Hey, what would be the point of the BR sitting there when I can have the pleasure of trying different things, and basically not caring about losing $ as much as I did before, although it would be really nice to gain. Anyway, pigpen and Chris's graph's are eerily similar to mine in that the downward slope and stagnation are basically consistent for the same 3 week period. I gain a little only to lose it the next day, or lose little then gain it back only to be in the usual standstill that I was trying to rid myself of before. How people keep on winning day after day like Minieri is beyond me. It seems I can't even play a sitngo without somewhone hitting their 5% going to the river or out tripping or kicking me when I'm just trying to hold on. GL everyone, let's see if this BS can be discontinued. Hopefully I'll come back posting with y'all if I can shake the sickness.

Last edited:
pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Y'all come back now, hear!

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Had to post today's graph even if I get to play more later. I was at a table with three people marked as playing less than optimum starters, four people marked as fish and one marked as a blithering idiot. Besides that, the variance monster was after them today. I would get hands that were bare calling and get great cards. For example, with mid suited connectors I got into an unraised pot with 4 people. I flopped two pair with straight and backdoor flush draws and I bet 'til they quit. Turn gave me a straight and a flush draw. Bet 'til they quit. River gave me an ace high flush. Got two bets there. What a fine day. Got my 50 Full Tilt points, too.:D :D :D Oh, yeah. I am playing limit, in case you didn't gather that, so no "Arrrrin!" I have had better days, but lately a lot have been much worse. I do keep seeing little leaks and try to fix them. Had some today (assuming idiots can't get cards which I will try to not repeat), but gusher in overwhelmed leak out.

31 103.0%
32 107.6%

Attachments

• PigpenNew.jpg
    PigpenNew.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
EagleEyeKing

EagleEyeKing

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Use www.checkyourbets.com this is a very good tool for keeping trck of all your games and see how much you're earning in all different types of games. It even shows your hourly rate, lol.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Day 1: 99.65% ($500.41)
Day 2: 105.6% ($530.11)

calibanboy

calibanboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BTW, just wanted to point out that the emotional stages shown on the graph are exactly the same as when you lock your keys in the car.

This is true. Still valid though

Chris_TC

Chris_TC

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just a quick update because I haven't posted in the last couple of days. I took the longest break from poker ever since I started playing online.
I had to clear my head a bit, and hopefully I'll be back in full force.

I'll be playing a bit more (2,500 hands a day is what I'm planning), and I have a clear bankroll goal for February 29. I'm not gonna say what it is though.
I will get back to playing either tomorrow or on Saturday...

Thanks to everybody who keeps this thread alive by updating and posting. You guys rock!

How people keep on winning day after day like Minieri is beyond me.
You may want to take a close look at the graph below ;)

Attachments

• minieri.jpg
    minieri.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 82
T

ts69even3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
mine took a hit last night... started at 226 last night, logged of at $194... blah... ak ran into aa, aq ran into kk and jj ran into QQ, good times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management