Keeping bankroll management

H

hawtshawt420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey everyone,

I understand the bankroll rules (20x to play some even say up to 40x or more) that whole thing. Usually I do pretty good at where I should be but the temptation to "just play 1" or sit at a ring game "just for a minute" is strong. Usually I play the DoN's at stars so winning is basically 50/50 (I do a bit better usually placing in 7 of 10) and in 3 days I more than doubled my roll (started 100; was at 220-230) but some of that was from playing in rings that I shouldn't have been in. today I got 6th in 2 in a row (i multi rarely, and only 4max if i do).

Sorry about the rambling but DoN's don't pay very much because they pay so many people. So I get tempted to go outside my limits or play a quick ring session and lose all I work for. That just happened and now I am back down to about 100.

Basically I was wondering if anyone had any tips to get rid of the temptation and stick to BRM or if it's just something you can't avoid? I use the filter but I play so many types of games that I'm changing the filter daily.

Thanks for any help or insight.

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The problem you describe follows a general pattern of problems that I've seen described here recently. The pattern is this:

Decide to do X. Then do something other than X.

There's really no solution for that other than to stick with what you've decided to do. It's a classic problem, but if your brain decides to do one thing, you can't let your emotions cause you to do something else.

If you feel that emotional pull come on, go play a video game or have sex or something. Do something else -- anything else -- but don't mess up your system. We all feel that pull at one time or another. What you describe is just another form of tilt. You have to learn to suppress it. It's part of the game.

Good luck to you. Nancy Reagan said it best... Just say NO! :)

dufferdevon

dufferdevon

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try finding someone or something to be accountable to for sticking to your plan or BRM. I had a few people stake me and I had to update how we were doing daily. Including the games, buyins and results that I had that day.
It really kept me on track, because I knew if I strayed there would be hell to pay.
After that stake, I kept the daily log of my play because it helped me stay accountable to whoever was following me.

dwolfg

dwolfg

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Give yourself a punishment every time you break bankroll management rules.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ignore the rules, go busto, really experience how much it sucks then do it properly the next time?

x2486

x2486

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You might try this - each time you get the urge to play something you're not properly rolled for, look at your bankroll and tell yourself that you have to win the entry fee first. Win or lose, don't play the higher level again until you win a new entry fee at the lower level. For ring games, only do one buy-in and don't top off. It still requires some discipline, but it would let you experiment at some different levels.

chuG

chuG

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ignore the dollar sign beside that number in your cashier.

I tried the PP's suggestion of playing for your buy-in but that seemed to make me play loose in my quest to aquire it. Perhaps we differ, so try it.

Salty Mouse

Salty Mouse

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bankroll management and playing in ring games aren't necessarily incongruous.

You just have to go into the ring game with a set amount of money that fits with your managed bankroll. And try to get out at some point when you're ahead.

TopJimmy99

TopJimmy99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah the temptation to play a larger tourney can be very strong. I'm very disciplined when it comes to my bankroll though so I don't normally make too many mistakes (yet, haha). I just try to imagine what other things I could buy with the buyin money (usually beer). Whenever I think about possibly crippling my bankroll the opportunity cost usually gets me haha.

Theblueduce

Theblueduce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As stated previously, you have to stay disciplined which is always a good sign for winning poker players. Stick to your guns, your BRM, the only one you really have to impress is YOU. Good luck in your future poker endevors.

tusabes

tusabes

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Give yourself a punishment every time you break bankroll management rules.

+ 1. Eat your least favorite vegetable while you begin the game. Maybe it'll give you a negative psychological parallel to breaking your brm.

On the other hand...game selection trumps most all brm buy-in rules imo. I love when the old school players have brm sections in their newer poker books. How many of these pre-internet poker pros have the same story? Went to Vegas won some money playing low-mid stakes. Went and watched the high stakes and said to themselves "I can beat these guys". Scrape together a buy in and sit down and win. Their brm was to take their entire roll to the table every day. They justified it b/c the game was beatable.

Be aware of what you're risking when you take a shot. Have a specific plan and a goal when you do it. If your just doing it out of boredom you're probably doomed.

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are on stars in the responsible gaming section you can set a limit on SNG, MTT and ring game play and to change them you must give 24hours notice

Leo 50

Leo 50

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As the OP said most people try to have at least 20 (maybe 40 Buyins) to maintain the BR

Lately I have dropped back down a level, my playing has been a little off.
(Actually I guess it's just that awful "V" word)
But I have started to climb back and I am now at 60 Buyins for my level (30 for the next level)
I have decide though I am not going to go back up till I feel I have totally
dominated this lower level.

My reasoning is my BR is fine, but my playing is not, so I will continue to grind it out.

:cool:

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its no good understanding BRM if you dont follow it.

I dont know what tips to give you.. try hammering a nail through the palm of your hand every time you enter a game you aren't BR'd for.

Maybe follow this simple flow diagram.

Look at stake of game -- Am I correctly BR'd? --- If not dont enter

Seriously if you dont have enough self control to not click on games you arent BR'd for then no amount of advice will work. After all this isnt rocket science is it?? This is you clicking on games you know your not BRd for.

midgetfactory

midgetfactory

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its completely about discipline, if you cant do it at the lower stakes you definately wont be able to do it as you move up the rungs. I know, im the worst at building a bankroll then busting it because i get that feeling im invincible and take that shot at a higher level.

TopJimmy99

TopJimmy99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Now I have a bankroll question.

Part 1:
Let's say you have a 100 dollar bankroll, and another 100 dollars cash that you're probably going to deposit (but not 100% positive). Do you assume a $200 bankroll and buy into games with that since you're most likely going to add the rest, or do you stick with what's already in your account.

Part 2:
Does the correct answer to the previous question change if you are Definitely going to deposit that second 100? I'm basically wondering if you only want to buy in based on your current account balance.

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think there is no such thing like "going broke".
You can always deposit another 10 bucks or so.
Everybody has 10 bucks (or even more).
I often hear "he is broke" and "she is broke".
This is complete BS, they always can deposit and play.
Right ?

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Part 1:
Let's say you have a 100 dollar bankroll, and another 100 dollars cash that you're probably going to deposit (but not 100% positive). Do you assume a $200 bankroll and buy into games with that since you're most likely going to add the rest, or do you stick with what's already in your account.

Part 2:
Does the correct answer to the previous question change if you are Definitely going to deposit that second 100? I'm basically wondering if you only want to buy in based on your current account balance.

Just deposit it? If you haven't, there's no guarantee you will. Don't play those stakes yet until you do deposit it.

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Right ?

You make a good point, but maybe people are "broke" when considering their poker budgets. Everyone has to set a budget. Otherwise, you could potentially risk putting your home and car on the line every week! That would be no fun. But I get what you are saying. For low stakes, it does seem that there is always another $10. But where does one draw the line? If there is a line, then it's conceivable that it will be hit and one becomes "broke" at that point.

I can see another exception to the "deposit $10 rule" due to governmental interference. For instance, here in the US, I can't deposit. So once I lose my freeroll money, I really am broke! :) LOL! But I assume you weren't talking about such cases.

The line is the line, I always say. Whether you are technically broke or not, it doesn't really matter... do not cross that line! That's the start of real trouble.

-Dave

blackmax

blackmax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes i had to learn this very topic the hard way myself.I always play at fulltilt poker and when i first deposited $50.00 i entered a $1.10 90 plyr sit-n-go and came in first for 21 bucks or something.I then felt like i could play bigger stakes and lost my damn mind and my bankroll!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Basically I was wondering if anyone had any tips to get rid of the temptation and stick to BRM or if it's just something you can't avoid?

Go broke a few times. That'll probably solve it.

Even the very best poker player will go broke if they don't exercise BRM.

Another problem occurs when you step outside of BRM. So you enter that $55 (or $33.. or whatever) SNG... you ship it for 1st place $225. It makes it that much more difficult to go back playing within BRM guidelines. The bigger win can actually be the beginning of some player's demise.

Slow & steady.... it's not a race.

Forget about the money... focus on the game & the money will take care of itself.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think there is no such thing like "going broke".
You can always deposit another 10 bucks or so.
Everybody has 10 bucks (or even more).
I often hear "he is broke" and "she is broke".
Right ? errr..... umm..... Wrong!

I'm curious?? Do you have bills to pay? Groceries to buy, mortgage or rent to pay, utility bills, insur. costs, car payments (or repairs/gas, etc.), children/family to feed/clothe, etc., children's education to pay for, medical expenses (costs for prescription drugs, etc.... maybe a family member/partner with chronic &/or terminal illness)???? Maybe debts that actually have you in the negative each month. Or maybe (like many), living paycheque to paycheque? (or maybe they don't get a paycheque.. maybe disablity or pension?... or maybe even just a weekly allowance?).

Pretty sure there's a few reasons why not everyone would have disposable income to just drop some bucks down for playing poker.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

Part 1:

Part 2:

If you have $100 set aside that is ready to deposit, I don't see why you couldn't/wouldn't consider this as part of your poker bankroll. imo, one's poker bankroll (online) isn't necessarily what's sitting in one specific account at any given time (ie. you might have some set aside (like yourself) or you might have more in one account than another with the option of transferring funds &/or withdrawl from one account & deposit to another).

.... sorry I don't know how to multi-quote (yet)... I tried hitting that button but wasn't able to make it happen

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The old (X+Y=Tilt) scenario

X = Is the right desicion, which would be the right choice, while sticking to the bankroll management rules.

Y = Y not... Y not you say to yourself, lets have a go just this one time.

TILT = TILT

Stick to your limits, dont get bitten by the betting bug.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management