Internet Gambling Bill Passed

Nick

Nick

CC
Administrator
Total posts
Chips
Last night Senator Frist decided to get some Internet gambling ban related material added into the Port Security bill that the Senate voted on last night, and it was passed. The legislation was related to preventing US banks & credit card companies processing online gambling related transactions (which most people haven't been able to do for a while now anyway).

Reuters Article

And more accurately... Gambling911's article

Don't panic!

Edit: Oh just to add, this hasn't changed the status of whether or not online gambling is illegal.... it's still a legal gray area. Give the industry time to analyse what's just happened and I guarentee you that new 3rd party payment processors will pop up that will be work arounds to this law.

Edit: Update 13th October, Bush has signed the bill, see https://www.cardschat.com/blog/10/13/bush-signs-internet-gambling-bill/

nateofdeath

nateofdeath

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to love the fact that it was tacked onto a port security bill. Don't ya love america?

-n

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You have to love the fact that it was tacked onto a port security bill. Don't ya love america?

-n
Yeah, WTF? I was looking on msnbc, and they made no mention of this in their report on this session. Trying to sweep this one in under the rug. Crooked bastards.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: It's good to be Canadian :)

It doesn't look like banning online play is in canada's agenda any time soon...ya'll are welcome up here anytime! :D

If you guys find petitions or anything like that against this ban, I'll gladly put my vote in.

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm cleaning out the incumbents when I go to the polls in November (except the Guv, he's ok)

J

Joe03681

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well at this point it is pretty clear no one knows what is really going to happen. So what are you all going to do?? I have a pretty sizeable bankroll and I'd hate to have a neteller withdrawl denied by my bank. So should I take it out before the bill is signed or wait it out??

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was under the impression that this bill would not include Neteller or Firepay withdrawals? It's not like that's all these are used for... how would the bank know it's from a poker site?

Nick

Nick

CC
Administrator
Total posts
Chips
Joe, don't do anything too fast - let it settle for a few weeks/months and see what happens.

The bill won't come into play (if it does) for a good 6 months.
I was under the impression that this bill would not include Neteller or Firepay withdrawals? It's not like that's all these are used for... how would the bank know it's from a poker site?

I believe 3rd party payment processors are mentioned, but I'm sure there will be loopholes.

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Well at this point it is pretty clear no one knows what is really going to happen. So what are you all going to do?? I have a pretty sizeable bankroll and I'd hate to have a neteller withdrawl denied by my bank. So should I take it out before the bill is signed or wait it out??
Nah. You could just do a bank draft (check). Sure, you'd have to wait longer for it, but there's no way they can stop that.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually, upon re-reading, I'm pretty sure both articles only specify that it would "make it illegal for banks and credit card companies to make payments to online gambling sites." Says nothing about withdrawing gambling winnings to your bank.

Nick

Nick

CC
Administrator
Total posts
Chips
Actually, upon re-reading, I'm pretty sure both articles only specify that it would "make it illegal for banks and credit card companies to make payments to online gambling sites." Says nothing about withdrawing gambling winnings to your bank.
Yep, you're right.

P

paintime

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's amazing what the top concerns are for the government.

buckster436

buckster436

Cardschat Hall of Famer - RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well im disgustered, i already got most of the money out, got enough to play another 2 months, then ill see what happens>>>>>>>>> buck:mad:

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lee Jones has made statements assuring pokerstars users that regardless of what happens, the users' funds will always be available to them, 24/7, and there will be no restrictions on making withdrawals.

On a personal note, I think this shows the absolute ugliest side of US politics, all in one: Hypocrisy and double standards, using a rider on an important piece of a legislation to pass a "pet policy" law and catering to lobbyists, all at the same time.

My apologies for my upcoming harshly worded sentence - I've never felt the need to use a swear word in a post before, but here goes:

Bill Frist: You're a ****ing asshole.

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nah. You could just do a bank draft (check). Sure, you'd have to wait longer for it, but there's no way they can stop that.
Actually JQ, I just read that it DOES include checks. If a bank gets a check to cash from anybody that is made out to any gambling site (IE: Pay to the order of PartyGaming), they would be forbidden by US law to honor it.

Let's just hope Neteller is exempt since many people use the Neteller debit card and system in everyday life. I believe that it technically is a "European bank".

EDIT: In fact, here's an excellent link where people have begun to collect info clarifying the issue (including responses from UB & Neteller):

http://www.neverwinpoker.com/phpnuke/html/ftopict-27922.html

Last edited:
beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Absolutley bloody mind-numbingly stupid
:banghead: :thumpdown:shot::withstupi

But im not surprised

Nick

Nick

CC
Administrator
Total posts
Chips
Don't worry about them guys. The industry will change and adapt, but it's certainly not dead. There was a huge online poker scene even before party poker were big, and there will continue to be one should they foolishly give up the fight.

I'll be posting a new thread with some updates within the hour.

roundcat

roundcat

Creature of leisure
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the information and links, Nick. Sometimes I'm embarrassed to be an American.

O

oryankim

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
online poker article help

Hey, I'm a newspaper reporter doing a story on the new online gaming ban. I'm trying to gather comments about the effect this will have on gamers. If you're willing to quoted, can you please contact me. Thanks

Ryan

talkpkr2me

talkpkr2me

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At first I think everyone has been shocked and rightly so!! But having said that,I think we all need to take a breath and relax..As it all has to do with how our accounts are funded I think that we are still safe..Banks haven't let us use credit cards for gambling sites already....And as Mr.Sticker stated about Neteller,I believe that is quite true..And frankly,in the end,I believe "we" will win....I can think of no possible way that they can completely and successfully do away with an $80 billion a year industry! I think they will decide to find a way to get a piece of it than continue to try to do away with it..Of course Bush could do a line-item veto instead of vetoing the entire bill it was "snuck" into but I don't see that happening either....But we will prevail,I'm sure......

P

pokergeorge

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Crazy Weekend in the Poker World

I have been surprised at the lack of national media coverage about the whole The Safe Port Act/Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006. Threads like this one have been really good. I really can't believe they tacked on the poker bill to something about ports it's really dirty.http://save-online-gambling.blogspot.com/

Related Gambling Guides: AU Gambling - CA Gambling - UK Gambling - NZ Gambling - Online Gambling