HUGE online poker noob with some questions!

M

MoneyMagz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey, I've been playing FREE online for a while now and i think im pretty good :), I was just wondering about the online poker where you pay, i want to get into that. My question is can i just sign up on full tilt . com and spend 10$ and just use that 10 $?, like play little sit n goes n stuff? Is it really confusing or is it basically the same as free except you play with your own money?

I dont want to get into it if its gunna be all confusing with the real money stuff, sorry i sound like a huge noob, because i am. so basically i just wanna spend only 10$ from my cred card and use that. i can do that right lol?

thanks!

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Should be no problem at all. I only play at poker stars, but the formula is the same everywhere. Download the software if you haven't already, fund your account (usually by credit card), and your all set. Not sure what the different sites minimum amount to get started is though. For some it may be $20 instead of $10. Just look around on the different sites, they'll tell you what the minimum is to open an account.

M

MoneyMagz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks, i just see all these words i dont know like "bandits" "money rolls", and the list goes on.. makes me think i dunno what im doing. i know how to play holdem, thats it haha.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The complicated part is getting the $$ online. The US govt makes that part hard these days (it's not illegal for you but it is for your bank/cc company). I have no idea what deposit methods are working these days (sick brag) but hopefully someone who does will post soon.

A few other things you should know:

1) Google "rakeback" and read up on it if you ever have any interest in playing for more than just this $10, especially at FTP.

2) Play money good does NOT EQUAL real money good, even at the lowest stakes. It's just a different level entirely.

3) You could always sign up for a real $$ account on FTP and play free rolls for a while. The play is somewhat better than play money and you have the chance to win real money. CC has some excellent FRs (you have no idea how hard it is for me to say excellent FRs :) ) but you'll need to stick around and post for a while before you can qualify to play them.

4) Realize you probably suck and you'll likely quickly lose the $10 you deposit.

gl

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As far as just using what you deposited, then yes. Every time you enter into a game, tournament, or whatever, you should get a little pop-up on your screen telling you how much you have left in your cash account and what will be deducted for the tournament you plan on entering, you then click OK to accept, make the payment automatically, and off you go. Again, this is Poker Stars, but I imagine Full Tilt works the same way.

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've only ever deposited once, and that was a year ago... /end brag. But at that time I just used my visa card, no problem. If there IS a problem, I imagine you could call cutomer support from the site you are interested in, and they could let you know the currently accepted funding methods. I know pre-paid gift cards were an option at one time too.

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even easier in Canada. They (you) don't have all the funding issues we do here in the states. Should be lots of funding options available to you. Of course you can still play if you live in Canada. FT is pretty-much worldwide.

M

MoneyMagz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks guys/girls. Ill start off with 10 or 20 bucks and work my way to a million :). what are the chances of me doubling my money today? ex. start with 10 end with 20 by playing 25c sit n goes

TylerN

TylerN

Kool-Aid & Frozen Pizza
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
canada should be fine. Don't get frustrated if you start losing and just realize you have more learning to do

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry, I can't help you there. I only play cash games. Hopefully some of our sit-n-go players will chime-in. If not, try posting your question in the SNG/MTT/Tourn forum. I'm sure you'll get plenty of help/advice there.

TylerN

TylerN

Kool-Aid & Frozen Pizza
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks guys/girls. Ill start off with 10 or 20 bucks and work my way to a million :). what are the chances of me doubling my money today? ex. start with 10 end with 20 by playing 25c sit n goes

extremely unlikely because variance is a **** in those. Judging by your question about what are cash games you still have ALOT to learn about. I suggest just reading around here. Your going to find poker is not as easy as you thought it was

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
whats cash games? lol

On the off chance this ISN'T a joke.... Cash games are just that, You play for/with whatever cash you brought to the table with you. No tournament chips, usually no antes, no payout structure, no escalating blinds, and, in theory, the game never ends unless the table breaks-up, in short, NOT a tournament or sit-n-go. FWIW, people generally prefer one format or the other and tend to devote most of their time improving in that area. Hence, I play 95% cash and only the occassional tournament.