How much poker is TOO much?

blackmax

blackmax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
one average i play about 2 tourny's a day for the last month(except weekends)as well as my girlfriend just trying to get better but now im finding myself getting the itch to play on the weekends a time set aside for other things.I guess in alot of ways im getting better but without profit and im wondering if it's because im playing cash tourny's and ring games(micro) to much?Ten tourny's a week seems a little excessive but how else do you get better without putting in the time?

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play more tournies at the same time. Keep your own time without poker, without poker. Remember, life>>>poker

T

Tonawanda

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends

First, this is a great question for online poker players. I am looking forward to seeing the answers. I believe it is very easy to get caught up in the game and play well beyond one's reasonable limitations.

I believe that the amount of time you play is relative to your goals; do you play for fun, enjoyment, excitement, profit, competition, or all of the above?

You're really the only one who can answer that question. You know why you play, what your goals are, and how much time you can or will devote to the game. And, based on how you phrase the question, I believe you are starting to have a pretty good idea.

If you have the time, play to improve and win, and for the competition and enjoyment of the game, I think you are playing more than enough.

I'm sure you will get many different opinions and answers to your question. I am very interested in what your conclusion will be after reviewing the posts.

_dogmeat

_dogmeat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're not going to become a pro and play only for fun/challenge/excitement, treat it like a video game. Sure, it's fun and all, but there are more important things than that.

If you're that hooked, at least try and balance things - f.e., for every hour you spend studying, you allow yourself one hour of poker.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess its like anything. It depends on your situation. As mentioned, if its a hobby, then as long as your life is not being put aside, I think no worries. But like any hobby, if your goal is to get better, then you need to invest some time. Think of a runner, or a weight lifter, or a martial artist, or a dancer, or a musician (all as hobbies) You only get out of it what you put in. It can, however, become an unhealthy obsession. That is your responsibility to make sure you have a healthy balance in your life. It can become like a video game- I use this example cause there are many people who get obsesed with these and neglect their lives just to reach the "next level".

If you want to pursue it as a side - or main - income, well, its a job, and you have no choice but to spend a lot of time doing it. There are many things that need to be considered before making any kind of decision to do this however.

This is not an easy question to answer because there are so many factors that will need to be considered.

You have a life, and it is not poker. Poker may be a part of your life, but life should not be poker.

I play a lot, and playing has become a priority in my life. As my daughter is. As my health is. As my family is. As my social life is. and so on.-.......

LizaMayra

LizaMayra

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to balance out life and poker... I wouldn't play that many Tournaments per week... I would probably do more cash games... that way you have the freedom to get up when ever something comes up in your life.

Playing poker online for extended periods of time can have drastic changes in your life... but don't take it from me... check out this video from Busto-Robusto...

http://robustothemovie.com/?page_id=46
Captain Zeebo, went crazy and had to be hospitalized for playing too much online... and not having a real life.

curly

curly

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to limit myself to a set amount of hours of poker per week no matter how much time I have to myself, If I exceed 30 hours a week playing poker then that's usually to much for me, however, everyone is different. I am a recreational poker player, so it's important I try to strike a good balance between my other interests and poker, especially if I'm on a downswing.

I think everyone has their own comfort zone, if you feel like your playing to much, and you have other things you would rather be doing, I would try to alternate hobbies and go from there, and hopefully you can find your comfort zone.

Double-A

Double-A

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any time we're worried about doing something "too often" or "not enough" we only need to answer one question:

How is it affecting our life?

If the answer is "good" or "not at all" then there's no need to change our behavior or priorities.

D

Deceitful_Frank

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any time we're worried about doing something "too often" or "not enough" we only need to answer one question:

If the answer is "good" or "not at all" then there's no need to change our behavior or priorities.

+10

Balance in your life is imperitive for you to be truly happy. If you are not happy you cannot play good poker.
You also need to be healthy enough to have the stamina to play your A-game for a meaningful amount of time.

What are your time commitments? Do you have a girl or want an active social life?

Less is definately more IMO and the brain can suffer overtraining just the same as your body. You workout twice a week with intensity while your buddy forces himself down the gym everyday and tries to go through the motions.

Who makes the best progress and has the most fun?

M

mrmood6007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would definitely try to keep a log of how many hours you are playing, emphasis on hours, not the number of tournaments you are playing.

I think hours is the key factor because if you are a decent player, two tournaments could last half the day, whereas if you are not it could be an hour or less. I would just make sure to remind yourself that you have other priorities in your life, and if poker ever seems to be getting in the way of those then you are playing too much.

It's hard to do, but remember you are not a professional and do not depend on poker as a source of income, so focus on work, your girlfriend, and other things that are fun in life!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
one average i play about 2 tourny's a day for the last month(except weekends)as well as my girlfriend just trying to get better but now im finding myself getting the itch to play on the weekends a time set aside for other things.I guess in alot of ways im getting better but without profit and im wondering if it's because im playing cash tourny's and ring games(micro) to much?Ten tourny's a week seems a little excessive but how else do you get better without putting in the time?

If you think you're playing too much.... then you're probably playing too much. (most people don't ask themselves this question unless they think they're playing too much imo).
Playing online poker can be very addictive. Sometimes we might be playing too much but our denial will tell us we're not ("I don't play that much... look at so & so. They play wayyyyyyy more often than I do!").

When eyes start to close while on computer < this is just a bit too much.

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
what other priorities are there????
lol
my wife hasnt left me yet, but....
she hates the game
i spend WAYYY to much time, probally logged more hrs than the pros and im mostly a freeroller and small cash gamer
BUT, 1 day i will hit a big jackpot
and rub it in everyones face who says i play too much:)

its not for the money or the fun...i play for spite

Theblueduce

Theblueduce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great Question.....For me it is a matter of simple moderation. I try to get in at least 60-90 minutes a day, usually after work, I find it relaxing and enjoyabe. Weekends may be a bit more but not much.

Atticus22

Atticus22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's too much when...

1. it takes you away from family events
2. it interferes with your job
3. you are losing more $ than you can afford

suit2please

suit2please

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If 10 tournaments a week is too much you must be playing mtts. Maybe try SnGs instead, and attempt multitabling. Don't just jump up to 4 tables, start with 2 and gradually increase them. If you think its taking up too much time, multitabling ring or SnGs will give you way more poker in less time.

Stick to only one. Either MTTs, SnGs, or Ring. Choose either the one your best at or the one you enjoy most and play only that. Also practice bankroll management.

Last edited:
H

Henreiman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, there are three basic ways to tell you are playing too much:

You are losing more than you want (or can support)

Poker is interfering with your daily life (whether this be social, work, family)

You are simply tired of it

If you hit any of those, stop playing. For some situations, it is better to take an extended break or stop altogether. For most, simply take a weekend off!

norriscjn

norriscjn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Now that is a good question to ask yourself when you get a bad beat! for alot of money

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Great Question.....For me it is a matter of simple moderation. I find it relaxing and enjoyabe. .

Obviously not a 'real' poker player (either that or a prime example of 'denial' as was briefly touched upon in my other post above).