How many of you guys have lost their initial deposit?

K

KrazyLuck

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I deposited some money a few days ago, and after doubling it up, I have just lost it ALL. I'm not too surprised because I didn't use good BRM. So how many people usually loose their first deposit..or more?

Lafayette2

Lafayette2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Deposited $50 on a site and won 30 in 5 minutes playing .50/$ 1.00. 4 days later playing .50 tournments cause i tilted and lost it all. Not depositing again for a while.

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never had a deposit to lose. Sold play money many years ago for $60. Still on that :) Gotta have BRM though. That is probably the number one reason most people play the endless deposit game.

ckickenking

ckickenking

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Been losing all my deposit for the last 6 month, even my freeroll earning. I tend to tilt when I try to chase my loses.

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luckily I came to CC before making my first deposit and learned about BRM. Thank you again CC! :)

I think BRM should be lesson #1 to any poker player. Seriously. It doesn't matter how great you are. If you can't manage your bankroll, then it's just a matter of time before you can't play any more.

It also puts everything into perspective, including streaks. It forces you to expect those (inevitable) losing streaks and it forces you to save those winning streaks ('cause you'll need the money later).

BRM is the name of the game! Can you tell I'm a fan? :)

Samango

Samango

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luckily I came to CC before making my first deposit and learned about BRM. Thank you again CC! :)

I think BRM should be lesson #1 to any poker player. Seriously. It doesn't matter how great you are. If you can't manage your bankroll, then it's just a matter of time before you can't play any more.

It also puts everything into perspective, including streaks. It forces you to expect those (inevitable) losing streaks and it forces you to save those winning streaks ('cause you'll need the money later).

BRM is the name of the game! Can you tell I'm a fan? :)

^^^ This
BRM is the way to not lose your deposit

Deposited $50 on a site and won 30 in 5 minutes playing .50/$ 1.00. 4 days later playing .50 tournments cause i tilted and lost it all. Not depositing again for a while.

Playing a game for which you are only rolled for 50BB is the way to lose your deposit

A bankroll of say $5000 is more suitable for playing $0.50/$1.00 giving you 50 (pretty conservative, I know) full buy-ins of 100BB

Last edited:
blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've never lost my deposit. I've won every site I've played at, but very little as I play conservatively. Just lunch money, basically.

curly

curly

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I lost my initial deposit on pokerstars, about 6 or 7 years ago when I first started playing online. I was not educated in bankroll management back then, thought I was hot stuff at the tables just because I won a couple tournaments.

I made a second deposit on PS, and before I went back to play, I read up on poker and learned br management, shaped up my attitude and up until black Friday I was a player that could profit playing poker, it was a small profit but a profit nonetheless.

nc_royals

nc_royals

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would imagine that most people at some point have lost their initial deposit. Even the pros have countless stories of going broke using poor BRM.
Goodluck and just learn from it.

P

peedee91

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BRM BRM BRM BRM BRM....im learning it also just need better will power not to move up until i get to a certain bankroll

JamesDaBear

JamesDaBear

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think most people lose their first deposit if not right away then over time... some players are making smaller deposits when they could afford larger. This isn't a leak or bad BRM. They shouldn't deposit more just because they can afford it, and they shouldn't "play down" to the level of their deposit.

I didn't lose my first small deposit online, but I was also playing lots of freerolls and I also got lots of transfers from friends to play initially. (I did pay them back, though usually with cash after I noticed putting money online was going to become a trickier issue.)

I did lose my first couple "deposits" playing live... over the first year of transforming from playing free bar league poker (where I won enough to get a bankroll started in the first place), but I eventually hit my stride and haven't had to worry about it since.

The closest I've came is when I've had to spend from my bankroll for life expenses. Although, I do have to say that most of the small-stakes action isn't worth playing in my area anymore, which is why I moved over to playing online in the first place. Sigh...

JamesDaBear

JamesDaBear

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A bankroll of say $5000 is more suitable for playing $0.50/$1.00 giving you 50 (pretty conservative, I know) full buy-ins of 100BB

I think that's even a little too conservative, especially if you're on a roll not easily replenished. This is especially true in most online environments, where they do offer .25/.50 and even smaller stakes. If those aren't an option, then you basically just have to go with it and take your lumps... make adjustments to your game from which hopefully you can re-adjust when you build up a suitable roll, that can withstand the full swings of making constantly +ev decisions.

H

Humps

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not yet. Deposit of $20 dollars, 3700 hands, up to $38 dollars on $0.01/$0.02. Long may it continue.

L

LarryT503

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I made one deposit and lost it. I figure if I can't earn enough by freerolls and playing my winnings to build a bankroll, then I probably shouldn't be investing my own money either!

M

MAX101

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've never made a deposit,won small br from freerolls and built it up from there, now I have br's on 8 different sites use to be more sites till black friday but yea learning brm is really important, it's also important not to get to far ahead of yourself ,and get into games that are over your head ;)

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Got a free 5$ from a pokerstars training site. Ran it up to 14-16$ playing DoNs, then went down to $1. Started playing limit games and sold some play money for an extra 3$ and never lost it

rssurfer54

rssurfer54

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lost my first two deposits of $25 and $50 on PS. Depositing $50 on PS again, ran it down to $9. Went on a wicked heater in DONs, to $35 stuck with those to 100. Switched to cash and haven't deposited again (other than transferring for Black Friday)

MasterOfDisaster

MasterOfDisaster

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Started of with freerolls 6 years ago made my BR and playing since, never ever put in other money.

T

tcummo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I started playing poker, it was for fun and entertainment
but after losing about $100 or so, I started to wonder why I was consistently losing.
So I started to read and study the game of no-limit and limit holdem.
I haven't deposited now for over a year.
I'm now showing a fair amount of profit and enjoying the game much more.
I think it is important to be able to beat micro before you move up in stakes.
As you move up, the game gets tougher to beat, so you need good BRM to
enable you to adjust.
never stop studying the game you play.
gl all

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've never lost my deposit. I've won every site I've played at, but very little as I play conservatively. Just lunch money, basically.

^This. Not everyone has lost their initial deposit. Ever. Put $50 on Stars about 2 years ago, ran it up to about $2k before Black Friday (thankfully I never played on that "TILTY" website, so I got it all back). After not playing for the rest of the year I finally couldn't take it anymore and put $50 on Carbon about 3 weeks ago. Been having some pretty bad "run-bad" the last couple of days, but still hovering around $150 now.

I think BlueSkies is onto something here as I play VERY conservatively as well. No sudden massive up-swings, but no massive down-swings either.

FeltLikeIt

FeltLikeIt

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im thinking about putting 500 on Lock and making that my one and only ever online investment? I plan to play low limit tournments for awhile, maybe some small cash games... I hope it all works out!