How many games are you comfortable multi-tabling and why?

How many tables do you play at a time?

Votes: 11 8.7%

Votes: 39 30.7%
  • 3 or more

Votes: 77 60.6%

• Total voters
A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One tabling is pretty painful, and I actually find myself surfing the web/music/new/vids so much that I have less information than when I 3/4 table.

If I had access to Pstars I would probably be 4-5 tabling, and be working myself up to 8. As far as those people who can 24 table.....maybe like Hypers, but full stacked MTTs or cash games, no way.

I could see myself playing 8 in short order....not sure about past 12.

If you are a beginner, concentrating on one or two tables is best.

V

V6mitg6rewh6re

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not hard to play multiple tables to be honest a lot of online pros say that
It takes more
Discipline to play one at a time then it does to play multiple . Me personally
On bovada I play 2 or 4 triple up sngs . You can play up to 20 tourneys but breaks aren't synched so I usually
Play one at a time of those . Carbon idk what the limit is .
But my max tourneys at once
Is 2-3 you get used to it . I can play 4 tables and still do other
Things lol. But I'm a very good multi tasker some people ain't obviously

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
just gradually add tables as you become more comfortable

a hud, color coding, and notes also makes it much easier

another thing to try is to put your games that are close to the bubble on top and the games that just started on the bottom- then you can focus on the games that require more thought

Marcwantstowin

Marcwantstowin

Member of the T.S.T
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
just gradually add tables as you become more comfortable

a hud, color coding, and notes also makes it much easier

another thing to try is to put your games that are close to the bubble on top and the games that just started on the bottom- then you can focus on the games that require more thought

I think this sounds good and I'm going to try it. At the moment max 2 tables for me, as I find I need to concentrate on both. Thanks for the tip TeUnit!! and gl to you all. :D :D :D

Gorak

Gorak

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A multi-monitors setup really helped me for adding more MTT tables. I like to keep the tournament lobbies open on my 2nd monitor. That way I know my position in all the tourneys.

I can be somehow relaxed playing 4 tables. But at 5-8 tables I can't have any other distractions or small breaks. So my stress level go up.

That being said I like to start a session with 5-7 tables so at the end of my session I can still have maybe 2 "relatively" deep MTTs running.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As far as those people who can 24 table.....maybe like Hypers, but full stacked MTTs or cash games, no way.
Are you saying "no way" for you, which is fine, or that others who play 24 tables can't possibly be playing MTTs or cash games? Because they certainly are. Actually 24 is pretty routine for the true grinders. The official record is over 60 tables of real games.

I know I used to play up to 16 tables on FTP back in the day, which was the max for regular players, and I certainly wasn't playing hypers. In fact unless you play a pure push/fold strategy (which despite popular belief is not the correct way to play hypers) I would find hypers far more stressful to massively multi-table than regular games.

If I play less than 6-8 then I'm pretty bored.

P

pokrjoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
before black friday i regularly had 15+ tables going..once my hud was set and table ninja was running it isnt all that hard

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

this ^

Lately I get bored if I'm only 4-tabling SPEED cash tables & find myself browsing the web, reading poker forums, etc. while playing.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As far as those people who can 24 table.....maybe like Hypers, but full stacked MTTs or cash games, no way.

This is actually inaccurate by a long shot.

I've multi tabled all you say and by far the easiest from my personal experience is MTT's, then cash and lastly hypers.

MTT's are by far the easiest because for a start 90%+ are all 9 handed and you're folding a lot of the time and the times you get deep in a tournament are far less than the times you bust so it's much easier because you only really have like maybe 5 tables at once on a good run in MTT's where it requires a lot of attention.

Cash games, I know lots of players who play 24 tables and do it successfully. Stack sizes are always 100bb+ so you don't need to keep track of average stack size etc. That said, cash games isn't my game and I struggled playing more than 10.

Hypers is probably my best game overall because I feel I have a good end game and especially shallow stack game over say the deep stack games like MTT's or cash games. Given for the most part hypers you're always in a shove fold spot or some very close spots each and every time and lots play 6 handed I couldn't, or I'd struggle to play 24 tables of these games just due to all the close spots that are constantly coming around.

I used to do between 10-15 tables in hyper 6 max games and 15 tables was really pushing it because you're 2 or 3 handed a lot and ICM is always in play so your decision become even more difficult.

With all that said, I think my ideal number of tables is between 10-12 to play "optimal". More tables I make more mistakes, less tables I find myself probably making more mistakes as well because I get bored, do something different or play more marginal hands and get myself into spots I shouldn't even be in to start with.

alaz3r

alaz3r

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't have any other distractions or small breaks.

DonV73

DonV73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there is a very serious dip in efficiency.

I couldn't agree more. And I am sure there are a lot of players who are multitabling with more tables then they can really handle. I don't care how smart you are, or experienced, you can only play a lot of tables effeciently if you play like a robot and it is impossible for any human to notice everything that is going on, which includes paying attention to other players when you are not in a hand. Not even mentioning that playing like a robot you become more predictable, again less effecient. Things like these, like finding the rights spots to make your moves, are cirital imho.

F

floweryhead

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I quite often play 24 tables ( the maximum pokerstars allows) but it took me a while to get to be able to play this many and still show a profit. I started off with a couple and gradually added a couple at a time until I got up to this many. Someone said earlier in the post that you play your cards not the players but that's not really true. I play at the micro Limit holdem games and have 64K hands on one particular player and not far off this amount on many of the other players that I often find myself against. With this many hands against players it's easy to formulate strategies against particular players. For other players I have notecaddy autocolour them by their HEM2 stats so I've always got a pretty good idea what I'm up against. I was going to post a screenshot to show you how it all looks but can't seem to find how to do it. Sorry

tARsh

tARsh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have never been a HUD guy, but ya used to 16-20 table if I was grinding 45/90/180 mans keeping formats consistent was crucial. I would stack tours accordingly to clustered star times Left ---> Right across both monitors - or stagger 45mans on left monitor and 180s on right etc. then sub stagger by tour depth. (Has always made me wonder if my RvsL brain makes a difference in viewing for play. haha be an interesting EV test across a sample.)
I would try to keep MTTs at a max of 12 unless amazing things were running across sites.
Dual 23" LED monitors was key.
I feel the interfacing setups are so far superior on ftp and stars it really makes it easier.
On carbon I keep it around 8-10 these days same on BCP.
Bovada 6 maybe... no sync breaks etc. I detest them in oh so many ways for software and format but they have such good tours for us Mericans' cant be ignored :(.

P

pokrshot

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it takes a lot of patience, practice and concentration to play at multiple tables simultaneously. But, beginners are supposed to play one table at a time irrespective of the size and format of the game.

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you saying "no way" for you, which is fine, or that others who play 24 tables can't possibly be playing MTTs or cash games? Because they certainly are. Actually 24 is pretty routine for the true grinders. The official record is over 60 tables of real games.

I know I used to play up to 16 tables on FTP back in the day, which was the max for regular players, and I certainly wasn't playing hypers. In fact unless you play a pure push/fold strategy (which despite popular belief is not the correct way to play hypers) I would find hypers far more stressful to massively multi-table than regular games.

Ya, for me....lol, I am aware of people mass tabling.

As for people saying it is harder to play deep cash massed than play Hypers; maybe I just don't use a HUD in the same way or something or play as ABC. I play fairly LAG at 6 max and tend to get in some marginal spots, so no, I still cannot imagine STTs being as stressful as cash ring games to mass unless you don't have your pushbotting down rote for the vast majority of spots. I don't think there are many regs like that though...at least not a ton.

dino

dino

10 cevapcici = 0 stress
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I do play reg 7-8 tables at the same time, low lvl, some more than that will be killing myself

radman

radman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this sounds good and I'm going to try it. At the moment max 2 tables for me, as I find I need to concentrate on both. Thanks for the tip TeUnit!! and gl to you all. :D :D :D

Thats is what I do and I also sit in the same spot at every table. Makes it easier to look at being at the same spot .

One thing that screws up most systems is playing with non synic'd games. (like bovada and FF) Having breaks at diff times can be frustrating.

S

scooba13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to really enjoy the SNGs at Full Tilt that had you playing 4 tables simultaneously against the same 9 players - a quarter of the total pot was awarded on the basis of points (for position and knock outs) and if you won all four tables you got the whole of this side pot. It was a good way to deal with ADHD but also use reads on a player across different tables (unless the player was conciously using different styles on different tables to be tricky)

G

guutox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always 4.....never less never more....more than 4 for me is too difficult i cant see what happens on tables..

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I'm feeling good, I average 5 or more tables.

Usually I only play one or two tables though. I'd rather not force too many decisions at the same time. :(

---

I don't play poker for a living though. So I'm not focused on the money. Just the experience and fun part :)

F

floweryhead

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the more games the better I seem to do:)
gets a little messy after 8 tbls
if Im deep in a big one Id put most focus on that and TAG ABC the rest

sometimes over thinking can be bad
at lower levels especially, tight ABC poker wins hands down
more tables means less bored, playing less marginal hands, less bluffs, etc...

In the HEM2 multitabling report my winrate seems to be best at 16 tables which seems bizarre to me!

B

benspocket

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
multi tables

I can only do 2 because of eyes and I`m a old fart

BiliousBetil

BiliousBetil

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have played two fairly well on occasion, but I don't find it to be as much fun.

Cheers!

L

losties

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on how much sleep I have. Sometimes I can go 2 tables of zoom and a fee normal cash games as well as a tourney on the side. But I do try to have 2 opened at a time :)

Top 10 Games