How do big hands get paid really!

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Man I swear I get no action at all for my monster hands, and can't figure out what to do about it, I mean ok look, first thing first I'm to damn tight at the tables (or atleast that's how they see me as being:D ), and when I get a monster hand, I know if I raise they auto fold there bunk right quick. So I decide to play it differently and no action, can someone plz help me deal with these situtations.

pokerstars Game #19500081502: Hold'em No Limit ($0.50/$1.00) - 2008/08/10 - 01:50:33 (ET)
Table 'Lavonne' 6-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: deutschplay ($94.50 in chips)
Seat 2: RiverRd ($107.90 in chips)
Seat 3: abdi122 ($122.15 in chips)
Seat 4: kdm0505 ($195.75 in chips)
Seat 5: Iw1nAgAiN ($72.15 in chips)
deutschplay: posts small blind $0.50
RiverRd: posts big blind $1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to abdi122 [Kc Ks]
abdi122: calls $1
kdm0505: folds
Iw1nAgAiN: calls $1
deutschplay: folds
RiverRd: checks
*** FLOP *** [5s 5h Kd]
abdi122 said, "I would've played that hand against anyone else"
abdi122: checks
Iw1nAgAiN: checks
*** TURN *** [5s 5h Kd] [9c]
*** RIVER *** [5s 5h Kd 9c] [2s]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
RiverRd: shows [7s 3d] (a pair of Fives)
abdi122: shows [Kc Ks] (a full house, Kings full of Fives)
Iw1nAgAiN: mucks hand
kdm0505 said, "ok, ull give me one i guess right"
abdi122 collected $3.35 from pot
Iw1nAgAiN said, "lol"
abdi122 said, "well that sucked"
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $3.50 | Rake $0.15
Board [5s 5h Kd 9c 2s]
Seat 1: deutschplay (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 2: RiverRd (big blind) showed [7s 3d] and lost with a pair of Fives
Seat 3: abdi122 showed [Kc Ks] and won ($3.35) with a full house, Kings full of Fives
Seat 4: kdm0505 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: Iw1nAgAiN (button) mucked [8s Ah]

The reason I didn't raise this hand is simple usually someone does the raising on this table, I just happen to be stuck in a hand, where no raised preflop, was there anything I could've done to get more in here? If I had raised preflop, they wouldn't have called since my image was to damn tight, I can't find the other hands for some reason but one was when I had quad Aces and the person raised preflop, I rereraised, he called, flop came with an A/J/bunk I forgot what though, I checked he lead out, I called, Turn was an A, I checked he lead out, I called, river was bunk regardless, I checked, and he checked, the last was the straight flush hand where no one had anything (I'll look to post these hands later)

SeanyJ

SeanyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This hand makes my head hurt. I'll post an actual reply tomorrow I think..

M

MFaith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think I would have played it much differently, except maybe for a small value bet at the end. Sometimes, the cards look scary and no one has a hand that they want to venture a bet on.

norbs286

norbs286

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this was well played and that you have earned the maximum possible. You have tried to trap, I would've done the same. I agree with MFaith about a small bet at the end, maybe to make him fold so that no one sees your KK... Keeping him and the rest wonder... but it wouldn't make you more money on that round :)

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Man I swear I get no action at all for my monster hands
...I know exactly how you feel. LOL, I cant seem to get the loosest player to call me when I have a big hand. But when it happens to someone else, they've got 5 players in the hand, betting into them, and they're making bank.

PokerStars Game #19500081502: Hold'em No Limit ($0.50/$1.00) - 2008/08/10 - 01:50:33 (ET)
Table 'Lavonne' 6-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: deutschplay ($94.50 in chips)
Seat 2: RiverRd ($107.90 in chips)
Seat 3: abdi122 ($122.15 in chips)
Seat 4: kdm0505 ($195.75 in chips)
Seat 5: Iw1nAgAiN ($72.15 in chips)
deutschplay: posts small blind $0.50
RiverRd: posts big blind $1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to abdi122 [Kc Ks]
abdi122: calls $1
...Please raise here. Regardless of whether or not you've had action with big hands, you need to raise. You want to build the pot, get value for your hand, and weed out the bad hands so you know where you're at at the flop. This is a standard raise right here.

Another reason is because you do not know if they other players behind you are going to raise or not. So, you should be the one that does that with your big hands. Limping, then reraising shows a lot of strength preflop and might result in folds. If you're come out raising UTG, it could look like you're trying to protect a hand like JJ or smaller and wont appear as strong.

kdm0505: folds
Iw1nAgAiN: calls $1
deutschplay: folds
*** FLOP *** [5s 5h Kd]
abdi122 said, "I would've played that hand against anyone else"
...This flops sucks so bad unless someone limped in with a 5 in their hand.
*** TURN *** [5s 5h Kd] 9♣
...Bet out here, IMO. The nine looks harmless and you can look like you're trying to buy the pot. You might get get a caller with someone holding a 9, 10J, JQ, or action from a 5 who has been slow playing. Perfect card to make it look like a weak bluff/buy attempt.
*** RIVER *** [5s 5h Kd 9c] 2♠
...Please dont tell me you thought Iw1nAgAiN had pocket 5s.

You have to bet here, man. I dont see why you checked here. I dont think you're opponent is going to try and bluff out on a river 2 after its been checked down. If you didnt bet the turn, you definitely need to bet the river. Make a small value bet and try to get paid off. Make it look like a weak buy attempt, anything....but please bet. Even if you dont get callers, its better to make it look like you bought the bought the pot then showing everyone you checked down a full boat. Heck, you'd probably get called by A-high if you bet small enough.

Horrible, horrible check, Mr. Tilly

*** SHOW DOWN ***
RiverRd: shows [7s 3d] (a pair of Fives)
abdi122: shows [Kc Ks] (a full house, Kings full of Fives)
Iw1nAgAiN: mucks hand
kdm0505 said, "ok, ull give me one i guess right"
abdi122 collected $3.35 from pot
Iw1nAgAiN said, "lol"
abdi122 said, "well that sucked"
...I agree.
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $3.50 | Rake $0.15
Board [5s 5h Kd 9c 2s]
Seat 1: deutschplay (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 2: RiverRd (big blind) showed [7s 3d] and lost with a pair of Fives
Seat 3: abdi122 showed [Kc Ks] and won ($3.35) with a full house, Kings full of Fives
Seat 4: kdm0505 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: Iw1nAgAiN (button) mucked [8s Ah]
Of course you're not going to get any action if it looks like you slow play monsters, LOL. Next time, dont slowplay your big hands as much. Get some money into the middle. If they fold, oh well. Its better to have them fold while you give them that chance to call and pay you off than it is to just check it down and not have them do anything.

There is a saying that goes "The less you bet, the more you lose when you win." and that applies perfectly to your hand. You passed up so many opportunities to get more money into the middle. True, more than likely, they wouldve folded to any action but if they had any decent hand you'd be letting them get away way too cheap.

dweezel

dweezel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No preflop raise ???
This post could have easily went from "I get no action" to " KK loses again to some donk" If the flop were different.
Lets face it you would only get action if somebody had a 5 or a king. I would have made a crazy bet on the turn, maybe someone was sittin' on an ace and thinking you were trying to buy the pot. Anyway You can't win any chips if you don't risk any. If you depend on someone else to do your betting for you , it will never happen. If you bet and everybody folds then on one gets to see your kings.I guarantee a lot of notes were written after that hand.

H

hornellfred

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to bet to get a good pot. If you only play monster hands and never bet them up the results will be the same. Checking after the river I don't get, at the least he doesnt see my hand at best I make a few more bucks.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol you're wondering how big hands get paid and you put exactly $0 in postflop when you flop a monster? To start, you get paid when people put money into the pot and don't have a bigger monster. Basically raise preflop and bet every street with the possible exception of checking the flop.

D

donizhere

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, raise before the flop, raise on the flop. If both of you have a good hand then you should have a good pot.

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lol you're wondering how big hands get paid and you put exactly $0 in postflop when you flop a monster? To start, you get paid when people put money into the pot and don't have a bigger monster. Basically raise preflop and bet every street with the possible exception of checking the flop.

Ok here's the problem u seem to be forgetting I was to damn tight, Like really just to damn tight, and I figured if I had raised prflop, it was a fold from al, If I raised on the flop, it still was the same result that's why I tried to induce a bluff, but didn't work at all, ok better yet how could someone get paid when everybody got nothing? You can't correct and that's the problem with this hand, even if I bet river they don't pay me alittle (I don't think atleast), but I could be wrong

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok here's the problem u seem to be forgetting I was to damn tight, Like really just to damn tight, and I figured if I had raised prflop, it was a fold from al, If I raised on the flop, it still was the same result that's why I tried to induce a bluff, but didn't work at all, ok better yet how could someone get paid when everybody got nothing? You can't correct and that's the problem with this hand, even if I bet river they don't pay me alittle (I don't think atleast), but I could be wrong

No, everyone gets that you were tight. But keep a few things in mind here. If you begin to have the thought that every time you raise with a big hand no one calls, and you keep playing your big hands that way, as you did above, we will see you on the bad beat board pretty quickly.

You should always be happy to win a pot, large or small.

If you are this tight playing 100nl 6 max, my guess is that you are playing over your bankroll.

S

simpleman31

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you were wanting to induce someone to bluff, you should've raised preflop. If noone calls you, you still win(and they don't get to see the KK). When the flop like this comes I'll check it down to see if anyone has anything. A small value bet on the turn(if anyone stays with you). The same with the river. Either way, like said before, you aren't going to get a bigger pot if you don't put anything in!

Monoxide

Monoxide

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Man I swear I get no action at all for my monster hands, and can't figure out what to do about it, I mean ok look, first thing first I'm to damn tight at the tables

Here lies the problem.

You can't be tight at 6 max and expect to get paid when you get big hands. If you are only raising with premmys at this level of 100nl people will pick up on it rather fast.

I personally expand my range greatly here compared to FR, from most positions besides sb, my raising range will be 45s-AKs, 22-99 even 1 gap like 810s,68s,57s,9js,q10s is my fav, plus i play the premmys 99-AA just like I would any other hand. So when you pick up KK and play it preflop like a 68s people will start gamboling with you more. If they dont still you will collect alot of blinds and if its too nitty just move tables.

When you open urself up to a massive range you get paid off alot more when you do spike a big hand on the flop.

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here lies the problem.

You can't be tight at 6 max and expect to get paid when you get big hands. If you are only raising with premmys at this level of 100nl people will pick up on it rather fast.

I personally expand my range greatly here compared to FR, from most positions besides sb, my raising range will be 45s-AKs, 22-99 even 1 gap like 810s,68s,57s,9js,q10s is my fav, plus i play the premmys 99-AA just like I would any other hand. So when you pick up KK and play it preflop like a 68s people will start gamboling with you more. If they dont still you will collect alot of blinds and if its too nitty just move tables.

When you open urself up to a massive range you get paid off alot more when you do spike a big hand on the flop.

I get what your saying, but that's the thing with me, (I bluff, don't get me wrong, but it's more like an image bluff:D ), as for the whole opening up your preflop game, that in itself is an issue I have personally because of the fact that the tables I got to are the action tables, there-fore meaning I lay back and wait for monster hands (And trust me it actually works:D , just happen to back fire at that time), but I get what your saying, but then again, I was never a preflop type of game player, I'm a flop, turn, and river bluffer, that's where my blind stealing usually comes from, I have several posts on here about me bluffing, but that's a different story all together, but I'll keep in mind what you said about opening up. It's actually funny because I seem to be winning more with tptk, type of hands, and bs sometimes then winning with a real hand all together, and that's where my monster pots have been coming from, lol

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're contradicting yourself. One of the following is true:

1. Opponents don't pick up on image and play loose, thus you should play tight and bet your big hands (like this one)

2. Opponents do adapt and won't play a big pot against you without a very strong hand. In this case unless you can lay down KK postflop you're making a huge mistake, because you're allowing opponents to decide whether to play a big or small pot. Of course when you flop the boat you're not worried about being behind, but in general especially when you flop an overpair, the deceptive value the preflop call had loses the advantage because you either have to lay it down to what could easily be a bluff or else call down with a hand that doesn't really want to play for stacks, especially in a limped pot.

In general you want to build big pots with your big hands. You had a big hand and didn't build a big pot. That is a mistake. It will cost you money in the long run.

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Recently read abit of harrington on cash and one of the main principles he suggested was small hand small pot poker and big hand big pot poker.

EG. here you want to firstly raise your standard raise say 3 x BB at least then you may have had one caller say with A 8 that builds the pot and then when you flop the boat you want to sort of bet half pot or maybe a third of pot if they are that tight to try and give them some calling odds.
Your not going to win big pots if you dont put money into the pots

Just noticed Zach has said something about the big hand big pot poker sorry mate

fin2head

fin2head

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since everyone kept checking not much you could do you won what the hand was going to give you. Only way you could have gotten better response from villians if one of them would have had a 5 for trips or even an extra pair with K,9 or 2. Best payout probably would have if villian had K5 giving him a fullboat but yours is bigger.

Last edited:
R

rockpoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You played well; perhaps flop not help that you can do slowplay; I also had executed an equal game. pair 55 in flop not helped its cause much, and put on alert the other players.

K

kidpoker410

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well i think that u misplayed this hand quite a bit. kk u should make it at least 4$ preflop. then on that flop try leading out either Very weak or make a big overbet and hope someone puts u on jj or qq here and shoves.
i dont think u shouldve checked this hand once.try changin ure game up. dont always play one set way or people will get easy reads and u wont get paid. but def. turn up the agression on this one. limping with kk is a horrible way to play it.

TexasPokerStar

TexasPokerStar

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
getting big hands to pay off...

Well the best way is when you flop the nuts... play it smooth... and check it down... let the other players hang themselves, by betting... then just call... the turn might not help them... since you have the nuts... so check, and let them bet again... this time just call... the river... check, raise them all in...

and that's how you make a big hand pay off...

orangecat

orangecat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK so peoples perception of you is tight ?? Thats what you said.......You also stated that you played it differently????

^Try playing your big hands the same, so that no body notices your change of play and gets freaked that you got the nutz.... also being a tight player is good but I like to get involved in smaller pots here and there to give the perception I am looser than I am..... just to mix it up and keep them guessing

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well the best way is when you flop the nuts... play it smooth... and check it down... let the other players hang themselves, by betting... then just call... the turn might not help them... since you have the nuts... so check, and let them bet again... this time just call... the river... check, raise them all in...

That was the plan, but they had shit

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I figured if I had raised prflop, it was a fold from al

If that is true, raise ATC from any position until people play back at you. It's immediately profitable and will fix your image problem.

I always have my HUD display my own table stats while I'm playing and if those stats start to look too tight, i'll just raise ATC in CO or BTN and cbet any flop if I get called.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

You're kidding, right?

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands