Which has better monetary value?

AWW_DIN

AWW_DIN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tourney or cash games? Which would u all say pays more or would make u more money?

suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing pays more or boosts your bankroll than winning a mtt tournament.

Also i believe the satisfaction of winning an mtt lasts for a lot longer time than having a great cash game session.:biggrin:

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No doubt it would be the MMTs because of the prize structure.

F

ferten

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If I have a short stack I prefer tournament because don't play directly with the money so I can play with more tranquility

If you don't have problem with this depend of you, I have some friends that win more in cash games, other in tournaments, I think that depend of your play style because.

blitzenfish

blitzenfish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A well fielded MTT will be a far better payoff and satisfying win then say a $100 profit session at a cash table.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Same value for me.

The risk and reward for both games would level out to be the same.

Example: At mtt, the reward is so big but the chance of winning is so hard while cash is the opposite.

K

kefir

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How many mtts you have to play to win one?
Mtts are completely unsuitable to make a living form them. Especially live. Because you just can't have sufficient volume to overcome the variance. If we forget this "WAU cool. First place. I made 5 k from 5$" Then it boils down, to where do you have a bigger edge. MTT and cash games require completely different playing style. In Mtts you have more fish because of the possibility to win bigger money with very small buyin. But mtts are high variance game.
I read somewhere that best mtt players cash about 10 % of the time and finish in the first 3 places about 2 % of the time. From that you can calculate hourly, assuming that you are like best mtt players and considering stakes you play.

Then you can compare it to your hourly at the cash games. It follows optimistic for the mtt estimate, what you should play.

Kuphaldt

Kuphaldt

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tourney or cash games? Which would u all say pays more or would make u more money?

I personally think MTTs pay better for starting a roll but also take more time then cash games. If you have 3 hours to kill and want to have some fun and have a chance to win big money play MTTs. You also feel a lot better once you win one because of the hard work it took to win one and the amount of time you put in. Also it feels good knowing you beat 500 other people.

burgdogky

burgdogky

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, Cash games are so much more lucrative, especially using HUD online. Of course, you can use a HUD for tourneys, but how many hands will you really have on your opponents in a tourney?

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
which ever one you are better at

^ this. This, all day and night.

If you're better at cash games, that's where you'll make your money. If you're better at MTTs, that's where you'll (hopefully) make your money.

AWW_DIN

AWW_DIN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
which ever one you are better at

Idk if i better at one or the other. I feel that cash games have less of a luck factor which if u have read any other post i dont have lol. I do really enjoy MTT tho. I feel u get a bit less fishing on cash games but the beats feel worse b/c its ur actual funds depleting

arizoney

arizoney

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i like to play ring games and try to boost br up enough for projected tourney i want to play. sometimes i also play a sng for the same purpose or a satellite for entry. the mtt to me has a greater reward for cash invested to cash payout.that is if i can win the tourney or get to the ft thats where the money is in the mtt. but i do play ring games and have made great boosts of my br with only investing less time compared to time in mtts. so its a toss up to what i think is better in the long run i guess it all depends how im running in either mtts or ring.

AWW_DIN

AWW_DIN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mostly play MTT but lately i feeling maybe i should stick with CG i mean the luck factor is less and i think i need that. Out of the last like 7 or 8 mtt ive only placed in 2 and won one. pay out was better but still probably not even breaking even

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no single answer to this question that applies to everyone. Whether a particular player can be more profitable at MTTs or ring play depends on various factors, some of which are quite individual in nature, which means different people can be pre-disposed in different directions and also to differing degrees.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
SNGs is also good,not many regs there.

AWW_DIN

AWW_DIN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no single answer to this question that applies to everyone. Whether a particular player can be more profitable at MTTs or ring play depends on various factors, some of which are quite individual in nature, which means different people can be pre-disposed in different directions and also to differing degrees.

I concur. It was a general question to see what other peoples opinion on the matter was. I figured all of the answers would be personalize. I guess i have quit figured out which i prefer and wanted to here some opinions.

B

bigjay2007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love the MTT's but there is a serious time commitment to go deep. The awesome reward is the cash near the top. A final table MTT vs a build in a cash game is usually better due to the elimination process. You could go on a roll in cash game, but easier to lose is my opinion.

bigjay

P

PlayedYou73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
large dollar, large field MTT's hands down...

however...your ITM% will no doubt mean lots of fasting with occasional feasts in between.

L

lilnewtdog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its funny with me it depends on which site i play on or in other words where are the cheats, lol. i separate it sit n gos, tourneys, or cash games.

LuckyBundy13

LuckyBundy13

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Same value for me.

The risk and reward for both games would level out to be the same.

Example: At mtt, the reward is so big but the chance of winning is so hard while cash is the opposite.

This hits the nail in the coffin.

I can personally tell you that winning an MTT can do wonders towards your confidence level. It's a feeling like none other, specially when the odds are against you.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i prefer tournaments but MTT and cash games are for completely different playersstyle. Mtts give good amount of money with relatively small buyin, risk of losing is discreased
but there is great amount of time that we are wasting at the tournament

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing pays more or boosts your bankroll than winning a mtt tournament.

Also i believe the satisfaction of winning an mtt lasts for a lot longer time than having a great cash game session.:biggrin:
+1 :D

jolubman

jolubman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think cash games pays better for time played. I hate ring games and only play in tournaments.

X

xRedhood

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Simply: Tournaments are a better judge of a good, consistent player, which utilizes more skill, whereas cash games are more inclined to be better one time payoffs that can result from more luck than skill.