Has anyone like... Ever got bored of playing poker?

C

cotta777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I'm experiencing this right now.
I haven't got a hunger for grinding and discipline, day after day, click after click.
If I was making 1k a week Sure I'd be laughing. but I'm not. lol

I'm attracted to the tournaments because I wanna chase that pot of gold at the end. Don't get me wrong, If I found myself with 10k I would work EXTREMELY HARD!
I would buy 15+ books I would invest every penny into bankroll and poker development. and really look to establish myself at a level where I'm good enough to be a winning player.

But Yea, Money Is slightly tight and I just don't think I've got it in me to grind out hours just to get too 500 dollars, then 1k

Maybe just maybe It's worth saving up for a year investing like 5k of my own money studying like crazy and taking a chance :hmpf:

dealio96

dealio96

The LAG Monkeys
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

^ ^ ^ This exactly....Poker can be boring if you're losing:hmpf: GL on the felts!!

R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I sometimes get bored when playing an MTT thats why i prefer turbos.

I suppose at leat when you are playing cash its easier to quit for the day when you are running bad.

If you havent go the patience to grind then just treat poker as another hobby where you improve at your own pace and dont take it too seriously:eek:

C

cotta777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^ ^ ^ This exactly....Poker can be boring if you're losing:hmpf: GL on the felts!!

I'm not a losing player im just not satisfied. I wanna be earning 6 figures and beyond not just in poker but in life, and I will. Lol
just probably not through poker unless I come out of work and work extremely hard on development

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From all of your posts and threads cotta I feel you're in the game for the wrong reasons. Like, obviously long term we're looking at winning money but from day one you seem focused on winning money and that's it.

You should be enjoying the game and learning the game to ever find a decent profit. I just used to enjoy learning and strategy, money was no concern I didn't care if I didn't win anything for months on end so long as I was improving.

Yes though, I've had times where I've lost interest in poker when winning money too. Infact, I find it less interesting and less motivating to play when I've come of a good run and won some decent money.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, why would saving up your own money and investing in 5K mean you would then study hard and be able to grind, I think it would end in disaster. I've ran numerous <$10 deposits over several $$$$ many times. I find grinding literally from the bottom up good motivation because the money won/lost is meaningless and there's a sense of achievement when you climb the stakes.

Basically imo if you're unmotivated to run up from a small roll you won't have it in you to do anything at higher stakes. Grinding from the micro stakes there's no reason if you put in decent volume you couldn't be playing low stakes if you're a good player after even a month. It's pretty easy for example turning $10 into $1k putting in some good volume at 10c/25c MTT SnG's and moving up. I very recently did that myself 2 months back after I withdrew all my money, I started actually with $20, was down to $3 when on a heater and 4 weeks later had $1500 just through some good volume. If you never have to withdraw any money, there's no reason you couldn't have $5k easily after 6 months of grinding and be at where you are, at least then you can feel you beat the stakes you was playing and can play decent low stake games. Last year was my turning point, beginning of January 2013 I had only $100 or so to my name and was probably break-even at best for 1-2 years but I worked hard on my game, by the end of 2013 I'd ran it up to around $20-25k from just micro games over various sites with mainly most of my volume at pokerstars. Obviously though because I've had to withdraw monies in between time I've never moved up past $30 games but it's very doable with some work.

If you're willing to save up money just for a year to save $5k then why not just start with a very small deposit and even with little volume you could still reach that $5k within a year playing a few hours a week so you don't feel you're grinding day in day out, there's no reason to if you hate it that much. Of course running up a roll is assuming you're a winning player.

Last edited:
J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Having fun should be part of the equation.It good for the motivation in playing poker.

punctual

punctual

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Once you no longer have that fight in you, you might as well just give up. It doesn't matter how much money you have as a bankroll, you will not do better if you have $10k.

The way I look at it is that if you can not grind up to $10k, then you do not deserve to have a $10k bankroll. I am very "cheap" when it comes to funding my poker not because I have to be (I am ok financially) but rather because I know that anything that comes easy will not last. Granted, you have to start somewhere but with the plethora of freerolls out there you have many opportunities to "make your mil" as JayZ would say (dead presidents single).

So my guess is that even if you had $10k you would be just as bored as you are now. there is no free lunch my friend: no one is going to give it to you and you certainly should not be dumb enough to just give it to yourself (i.e. save $10k and use it all for poker). The grind is SO IMPORTANT I believe because it makes you respect just how difficult it is to make it in poker and it will build you teh self confidence you need to know that if you ever lose yoru bankroll (no matter how big or small it is) that you can grind back up to it if you need to.

So if you are bored with poker at this level, chances are you will be bored at any level. Maybe poker is not for you. Or, maybe you just need a break? I know I have been playing poker day-in and day-out since september 2013. I have over 120,000 tournament hands played and will actually be up a few hundred dollars by september 2014. I can't say I've gotten bored of poker; but sometimes I do need a break and so I take it (usually a few days). these breaks usually come when I've experienced an extended period of losses (i.e. losing like 20 tournaments in a row).

Since september 2013 I have only made two deposits of my own money, one for $100, and one for $50, plus the $100 bankroll I won on here through a special contest which funded my juicystakes account (thank you CC for that). And when I did build up my bankroll from freeroll to $450, I just cashed that out immediately (this was near the beginning of my poker journey around november 2013). I have made sure that I stop myself from continually funding my account like clockwork when I bust an account because I know taht is a sure way to go broke. the fact is, If I can not win some freerolls and turn that money into something better, then I do not deserve to re-fund my poker accounts. Otherwise I would be out of house and home in no time. I think this is a sound money-management principle: you don't wrecklessly keep on funding a losing proposition. On the other hand, if there were no freerolls I would, of course, be forced to fund my account more regularly to keep myself constantly playing and learning: in that case, the funding of my accounts would be like an investment in my poker training (i.e., i'd be expecting to lose it). But even in that case, i would not be throwing in $500 a week to fund my poker account: I'd probably deposit much less than that and deposit much less often: once I bust a bankroll go back to reading some books for maybe a couple of months before getting back into the game with real money again.

Carl Trooper

Carl Trooper

Degenerate Idiot
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I'm experiencing this right now.
I haven't got a hunger for grinding and discipline, day after day, click after click.

I'm attracted to the tournaments because I wanna chase that pot of gold at the end. Don't get me wrong, If I found myself with 10k I would work EXTREMELY HARD!
I would buy 15+ books I would invest every penny into bankroll and poker development. and really look to establish myself at a level where I'm good enough to be a winning player.

But Yea, Money Is slightly tight and I just don't think I've got it in me to grind out hours just to get too 500 dollars, then 1k

Maybe just maybe It's worth saving up for a year investing like 5k of my own money studying like crazy and taking a chance :hmpf:

Yes. When I played almost everyday for 18 months I did find it pretty boring some days. Winning def helps.

Its good to have other things going on to keep your mind sharp and not drained on one thing. Working out is def a must. And just getting outside and enjoying other things is necessary!

pokertroll

pokertroll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes it happens so I take breaks every now and then-For me I get so pissed off about the limited site USA Players have access to and since I live in NV my state has been banned by some site leaving me to no good pokersites.
I play our forum games on PokerStars and have no money on any poker site ever since FullFlushPoker banned my state and ignores my emails when it comes to returning my 28.00 bankroll.

C

cotta777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, why would saving up your own money and investing in 5K mean you would then study hard and be able to grind, I think it would end in disaster. I've ran numerous <$10 deposits over several $$$$ many times. I find grinding literally from the bottom up good motivation because the money won/lost is meaningless and there's a sense of achievement when you climb the stakes.

Basically imo if you're unmotivated to run up from a small roll you won't have it in you to do anything at higher stakes. Grinding from the micro stakes there's no reason if you put in decent volume you couldn't be playing low stakes if you're a good player after even a month. It's pretty easy for example turning $10 into $1k putting in some good volume at 10c/25c MTT SnG's and moving up. I very recently did that myself 2 months back after I withdrew all my money, I started actually with $20, was down to $3 when on a heater and 4 weeks later had $1500 just through some good volume. If you never have to withdraw any money, there's no reason you couldn't have $5k easily after 6 months of grinding and be at where you are, at least then you can feel you beat the stakes you was playing and can play decent low stake games. Last year was my turning point, beginning of January 2013 I had only $100 or so to my name and was probably break-even at best for 1-2 years but I worked hard on my game, by the end of 2013 I'd ran it up to around $20-25k from just micro games over various sites with mainly most of my volume at pokerstars. Obviously though because I've had to withdraw monies in between time I've never moved up past $30 games but it's very doable with some work.

If you're willing to save up money just for a year to save $5k then why not just start with a very small deposit and even with little volume you could still reach that $5k within a year playing a few hours a week so you don't feel you're grinding day in day out, there's no reason to if you hate it that much. Of course running up a roll is assuming you're a winning player.

I posted earlier but for some reason it's not on here.

Thanks again for the replies

And Ram when you put it like that it makes alot of sense.
Really now I want to re-wire my though process and completely remove the money aspect of playing poker.

and just focus on the game and winning or by outplaying my opponent's even if a small proportion of the time it might result in losing - trying to win effectively within a bankroll that allow's me to do so is what I'm going to have to ask myself can I really get back the passion for playing the game

L

LukeSilver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, no one anywhere has ever got bored of poker in the history of mankind and the game of poker.

DreamChaserz

DreamChaserz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This actually happened to me, and playing poker when you are not motivated to grind and build is pointless. I would recommend a break from poker period. I took a break for a few months from live or online poker, and now I got that feeling when I first got into poker, the motivation to get better and grind to make something of this.

dd_decker

dd_decker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, sadly I have fallen asleep during a MTT online. :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :dontknow:

D

DoloBrolo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can poker get boring? Sure, anything can get boring if you're not invested in it for the right reasons. You need to strike a better balance between enjoyment and profitability. Do I make 6 figures playing poker? No of course not in fact I'm a pretty poor player but I find enjoyment in improving my game gradually.

Martinez

Martinez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take a break. Easy to feel down when running bad.
It has happened to many people myself included, I just got sick of all the bad beats and bad play. Whe I quit, I thought I would never play again, got rid of all my poker related material, sold my home board - the full works.
Problem is, it is a hard habbit to kick so here I am again back playing.
There is no point to playing anything if you are not having fun doing it.

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The problem is that
you did not find the way how to climb ladders when playing poker.
Err exactly to say, what is your plan? in poker and life.

the answer is different from every player.but good luck.

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i dont think ive ever been bored of poker, although some times i get down with life which results in losing interest in everything including poker. but with poker itself, i love the game and never find myself getting bored when im mentally fit.

alext9000

alext9000

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I get bored only if I play something with small winnings..but when the stakes are high a lot of adrenaline pumping through my veins..and the senses get more accurate..

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, sadly I have fallen asleep during a MTT online. :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :dontknow:

Good to know that is not just me..lol. I did that many times, of course it was small buy ins tournaments :eek:

M

mycophile

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I go through these spurts, too. I'll play almost religiously for a month or two at a time, then have no desire to. Or at least want to mix it up with live games or something.. but then the urge always comes back. Lol

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im hearing the word "MONEY" again.

Do it cause ya love it, not for the money, not for the glory.
And if ya get bored like I do. Take a break, you will miss it & be back in no time.

developer716

developer716

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
играю в МТТ глаза закрываются но как только уровень 10 начинается нормально становится играть =) адреналин приливает и огонь горит вокруг )

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im kind of going through the same thing right now cotta. I grinded the micros for ages and then always ended up tilting and blowing my roll playing at higher limits.

If you do this once too many times, it comes to the point where i just cant play the micros anymore. I am planning to deposit some more "serious"money in the following weeks/months and just jumping into higher limits.

But yea, to get back to your initial question, i believe that after a "point", poker can become boring and especially if you dont achieve the results you were aiming for.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I do sometimes get bored of playing, even when I am winning!!

I tend to get bored by playing too many of the same games in a day or being on the same site. Lets say for example I will play a few SNGs on FTP and keep getting ITM so I carry on playing, then I get bored of the doing the same thing. I will go and do something else non poker for either a few hours or till the next day.

If I played for hours and hours constantly everyday, I would start to hate it. To me that is groundhog day, and I do not want that feeling!!!