Gordon's Little Gold Book

P

PotluckXXI

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone read this? It had really good reviews but haven't seen anyone comment on it here.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nope. Physical books are overrated anymore imo ;)

TBH, I am sure it's a good book, I like the way Gordon writes. It likely has a lot of real, solid poker content, unlike the likes of authors like Annie Duke.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Anyone read this? It had really good reviews but haven't seen anyone comment on it here.
Haven't read it... 'yet' but am sure I will at some point.

I also enjoy reading Phil's books. (read the others a few times each, actually picked up 5 copies of 'Little Green Book' & gave them to friends for gifts... but also got them for 80% off list price at local bookstore (they all had minor cover damage)).

Hmm.. Phil's a liar! I asked Phil on FTP a couple years ago if he'd be writing another book. His reply, "Why would I? I already covered everything there is." (oh.. ok Phil.. tks :( ). I can't remember if this was on FTP table or if it was in ProChat thing they used to have. Good guy though... wtg Phil!! (wonder if he's going to have a small % in the 'new FTP'?)

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is ever changing PO, of course there will be more. He was just bluffin you

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
FWIW I think he probably meant it at the time and hadn't really considered how much the game has changed.

Consider one of the most memorable quotes (which I'm paraphrasing) from his first books, for example: "Preflop, the fourth bet always means aces". That's certainly not the case in NLHE these days.

I'm in the same boat as OP regarding the new book, I haven't read it but I've certainly read a few very positive reviews of it.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Consider one of the most memorable quotes (which I'm paraphrasing) from his first books, for example: "Preflop, the fourth bet always means aces". That's certainly not the case in NLHE these days.

Pssh...4Bets ALWAYS mean Aces ;)

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Actually, it's interesting to think about the effect Phil Gordon himself had on shaping the game as we know it today: there would have been a huge group of players who read his early books and took that message to heart, believing that the fourth bet really was always aces... and those players made themselves vulnerable to / encouraged light four-betting in the process.

seachicken

seachicken

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Read it and its not bad. His best work yet for anyone who actually understands poker. He has some good interviews in the book and it is not all nlhe. The book is written in the same style but he went and got help from other pros to "update" his game.

Got it free from library.

Last edited:
smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He's really kinda lucky considering his involvement at various times with both Tiltware and FTP that he's not having to write the Little Orange (jumpsuit) Book from the Federal PYITA library.

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've read "The Little Green Book", I'm sure at some point I'll get the new one...

P

PotluckXXI

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I never read any of his books but just ordered the Green and Blue as they were highly recommended. Amazon posted the Gold and it had great reviews from the ones who posted their reviews so I wasn't sure, I'll read the first two (have 5 others on order including Supersystem, any players "must have"). Now DB's book on internet poker I skimmed through in a used book store and thought it looked like a POS, then read the reviews and they agreed.

B

BluffYou123

Back in the Game
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have the book but haven't read it yet. Skimmed through it and it looks alot more advanced than his previous ones.