Good or Bad

withawedge

withawedge

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All,

I only get to play poker on Saturday and Sunday due to working abroad Mon - Fri.

My question to the forum is do you think this is a good or bad thing.

Like everyone else some weekends the poker gods hate me and other weekends they love me.

I read on here all the time that people should take a break when all seems against them, but at the same time when everything is going for you surely it is a good thing to carry on.

I do not have this luxury as when i head to work that is it until the following Saturday.

My own feeling is that it keeps me keen/fresh and saves me when things are going wrong or thinking I am some great player when the good times hit.

What do you think?

:withstupi

Last edited:
bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Actually the weekends are when you are going to find the most fish online. This presents a two edges to you. On one hand, their play is going to suck so you have a good chance to really increase your bankroll. On the other hand; because their play sucks they will stay with anything so be prepared for some stupid, bad beats.

withawedge

withawedge

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I suppose what i meant to say in a clearer way (apologies as typing under the watchful eye of the boss) is how would each and everyone of you feel if you had to give up the poker for 5 whole days after good and bad weekends

Thanks
:withstupi

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's positive. You're being, artificially, forced to stop yourself from tilting, be it "I'm invincible"-type tilt or "I must win all my money back"-type tilt. Getting distance and perspective on the game can hardly affect it negatively.

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's probably a good thing - if it's available to you constantly you can end up spending way too much time playing... fun as it is, playing online poker isn't a very "productive" use of time.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I only play online poker a couple of days a week at best and almost never on the weekend. That way, if I lose money one night I have at least a 5 day break until I try again. Most of the time I bounce back.

P

PreciousLor

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably good.

If/when you give up work you generally end up playing too much. Your mind finds it hard to fully switch off and be "normal" again. The fact you have 5 days off (from poker) is probably a good thing.

If you win a fairly big tourney for me the elation isnt really to do with the money it is more to do with, "great, I actually have an excuse not to play for a few weeks".

You probably feel you want to play more. I remember feeling the same before i ditched the desk job, but for the reasons stated above, dont feel like you're missing out, because simply you're not. You're probably a lot more rounded as a consequence. (It would probably take most poker players a good month or so to fully get their mind off poker...and that is never a good thing)

And, you might also win the Sunday Million :),

Good Luck to you

EDIT :- god I sound like some addiction therapist, lol

Last edited: