that was the game of my life

-Phil Ivey27

-Phil Ivey27

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't believe I just did this. I am an idiot for doing so. But, sometimes, this works out for the best. I was tilting terribly, and so i bought in a 22 dollar turbo HU match. To get you to understand how badly I was tilting, my usual buy-in is the 2 dollar HU turbo's. Sometimes the 6 dollar HU turbo's. And I do win most of these. But, i put in about 1/4 of my bankroll into this one match, saying forget this if I lose then I lose, this is such bs.
To the defense of the idiot inside of me, I waas receiving the most atrocious possible beats! And they just kept coming. In the end, I won this HU matchup, not playing tilted, playing well. And it was indeed the rush of my life.

Remind me never ever to do this again.

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
don;t do it again, even though I know you will, we all have....

L

LarryT503

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, it can be a rush and if you are like most of us you'll likely do it again. It is much easier to make rules than follow them!

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok, this is the #1 thing people do to lose their bankroll. You cannot be risking 25% of your roll on one heads up match. First of all, heads up SNGs are practically a waste of time. You need to win 55/100 just to break even with the rake. Moving up in limits to try and recoop losses for the day is the WORST THING TO DO!

I think the most dangerous thing for you right now is the fact that it worked out for you. You will have another day of bad beats in the future where you are down $5-$10 (based on a $80 bankroll) and you will be tempted to play 2/4 limit or a $10 or $20 HU match or 1/2 NL, etc. to try and recoop these losses again. I am telling you man, it works everytime but once, then you are broke. Stick to correct BR management and if you find yourself tilting, get away. Go outside, watch TV, play video games, read a poker article, masturbate, anything. GOT IT?!?! :p

acehearts1

acehearts1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
its like an addiction lol believe me you well do it again and you have a wise mind if you dont

J

jonny17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lucky boy just think how you would have felt if you lost that heads up stick to your bankroll management or you will go bust sooner rather than later!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hayes5150

hayes5150

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always say to myself stay away from the cash tables even though I end up doing it any ways and Ill end up losing like 20 to 30 bucks and I say to myself everytime shoulda just played a 20 dollar sit and go my odds would probably be better than

B

BluffYou123

Back in the Game
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just try to forget that you won and move on back to your old game.

Think of all the work you could have undone with that moment of madness.

-Phil Ivey27

-Phil Ivey27

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, this is the #1 thing people do to lose their bankroll. You cannot be risking 25% of your roll on one heads up match. First of all, heads up SNGs are practically a waste of time. You need to win 55/100 just to break even with the rake. Moving up in limits to try and recoop losses for the day is the WORST THING TO DO!

I think the most dangerous thing for you right now is the fact that it worked out for you. You will have another day of bad beats in the future where you are down $5-$10 (based on a $80 bankroll) and you will be tempted to play 2/4 limit or a $10 or $20 HU match or 1/2 NL, etc. to try and recoop these losses again. I am telling you man, it works everytime but once, then you are broke. Stick to correct BR management and if you find yourself tilting, get away. Go outside, watch TV, play video games, read a poker article, masturbate, anything. GOT IT?!?! :p

To comment on this, even though you are absouletly right, I win about 70 percent of my HU matches, so I do get some profit out of it.

But, let me tell you all that I understand everyone who has posted about this, and I will do my best not to go back and do it again because it's very silly and so risky. And of course, i'd end up looking back at it like wow, why did I do that? Most of you are right, stay away from these situations, try not to come back to them even though you one day may.

jolubman

jolubman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like reading stories like this one. You can never count yourself out. Sometimes the cards run for you instead of againist you.

Rafeeki1087

Rafeeki1087

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
yea, I've tilted bad before, and ended up getting some luck and winning back my losses....But I've also had times where I end up losing more...usually in cash tables......Just gotta try to stay away from them...ugghhh...sooo harrdd.....grrrr

K

KAR1982

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
congrats on the win! that's great that you were able to come back and win it. I wish I were that lucky

nuts422

nuts422

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all, heads up SNGs are practically a waste of time. You need to win 55/100 just to break even with the rake.

Just out of curiosity, what odds does one need to win in order to break even in a multi-player tourney?

With 10% rake, you need 55/100 there too obviously.

So why do multi-player then?

The Shrog

The Shrog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Originally Posted by jordanbillie
First of all, heads up SNGs are practically a waste of time. You need to win 55/100 just to break even with the rake.

Disagree. If you're a good player and can put in a high volume, they can be profitable.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just out of curiosity, what odds does one need to win in order to break even in a multi-player tourney?

With 10% rake, you need 55/100 there too obviously.

So why do multi-player then?

The reason why you need to win 55/100 is because most HU matches have a 5% rake, so if you break even by winning 1/2 of the HU matches you play, you are losing 5% of your money, or in other words you have to win 55% to break even.

Your question about MTTs is obviously asking about cashing and not winning. You certainly don't have to cash in 55% to break even in MTTs. 55% cash rate would be extremly amazing and most sites would investigate you for cheating, lol.

I took a look at the top online players from the bluff magazines poker database and the top players are cashing 15-20% of the time in MTTs. I just started playing MTTs on poker stars so my sample size is way too small to be accurate but it is 33% and on bodog I cash 23%.

I just think the HU matches are silly because I feel it is really hard to win these consistantly. Maybe I just don't play HU matches that well... HEY that could be an interesting experiment. Play 100 HU matches and see how many you win. I may be interested in taking a challenge on this. Any ideas?

nuts422

nuts422

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The reason why you need to win 55/100 is because most HU matches have a 5% rake, so if you break even by winning 1/2 of the HU matches you play, you are losing 5% of your money, or in other words you have to win 55% to break even.

Your question about MTTs is obviously asking about cashing and not winning. You certainly don't have to cash in 55% to break even in MTTs. 55% cash rate would be extremly amazing and most sites would investigate you for cheating, lol.

I took a look at the top online players from the bluff magazines poker database and the top players are cashing 15-20% of the time in MTTs. I just started playing MTTs on poker stars so my sample size is way too small to be accurate but it is 33% and on bodog I cash 23%.

I just think the HU matches are silly because I feel it is really hard to win these consistantly. Maybe I just don't play HU matches that well... HEY that could be an interesting experiment. Play 100 HU matches and see how many you win. I may be interested in taking a challenge on this. Any ideas?

I didn't make myself clear. The question I am interested in is; do you have better total odds of recovering your money and being profitable at a multi-player game than a HU game? As you point out, you won't cash as often but when you do you will get paid more.

Btw, the 55/100 win rate will make you profitable with a 10% rake. The expected value is

EV = 1*55/100 + (-1)*45/100 -0.1 = 0

I am going to start a different tread on this because I think the issue itself is really interesting beyond the topic of this tread.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I didn't make myself clear. The question I am interested in is; do you have better total odds of recovering your money and being profitable at a multi-player game than a HU game? As you point out, you won't cash as often but when you do you will get paid more.

Btw, the 55/100 win rate will make you profitable with a 10% rake. The expected value is

EV = 1*55/100 + (-1)*45/100 -0.1 = 0

I am going to start a different tread on this because I think the issue itself is really interesting beyond the topic of this tread.

You are absolutely right with the 55/100 for 10% rake. I don't know why I thought that only covered 5% rake, thanks for clearing up my mistake on that.

Where is your new thread? I would love to discuss this more with you in there.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With 5% rake you would have to win 52.5/100 or actually 53 right?

For example if you were playing $5 + .25 HU matches, 100 would cost you $525. Winning gets you $10, so you need to win 53 to get back $530 for a $5 profit. So 53/100 is the magic number for HU matches with 5% rake.

Now lets talk about a possible HU challenge!

M

manalva

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Remind me never ever to do this again.

Hi.

Please, never do that again... Jajaja.
But i think you'll do it again, like parents said "you'll never learn until you really f#$% up your life".

Try to be patient.

Bye.
manalva

-Phil Ivey27

-Phil Ivey27

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would definetly be up for an HU challenge.

If anyone has any ideas of course, im sure everyone would be interested!

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would definetly be up for an HU challenge.

If anyone has any ideas of course, im sure everyone would be interested!

What if we did something like we agreed to play XX amount against each other and had a prop bet on the %. Either a bet on who can come out ahead, or if it would be higher than 55% or something like that?

woody19

woody19

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
done that loads of times i start tilting then get reli annoyed so i usaly go in a high stake torney or table and try win what i have lost i h8 it when i doesnt work out but its worked out more than when i hasent worked out i agree with you that is a good rush because you got a lot at stake if u win it will be totaly horrible but i like that rush when you winning and just cant lose a thing :):):) dnt do it agen lol we all no u will lol :):)):):):)

ukaliks

ukaliks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've done summit like this b4.

On my FT account ages ago i had $375. I lost about $100 and was pretty pissed off. Cooled down for a day n decided that i wanted to go for the big catch and decided to playin in one of FTOPS event for $300+15.

I lasted 30mins as my KK got drawn out to villans QT straight.

I laughed, closed FT, realised how much breaking BR managment was funny n decided not to do it ever again lol.

Top 10 Games