Full Moooooonnn Owoooo

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does anyone have a hard time playing like I do, around the time of the full moon?
We all know that stuff happens; ambulance workers, cops or anyone working with the public knows this is a volatile time.
I find that for the few days heading into a full moon, my games, or the cards, or other people, are off -- I can't win, my game suffers.
For a few days after, things usually improve a lot. I look forward to the waning moon because the fishies seem to be biting like crazy.
I know some of this may be psychological, but I don't think so. I always know when there is a full moon around, without looking at the calendar or the sky. We know the moon has a huge physical effect on us, as it does the tides, because we are 85% (or so) water.
Any other experiences or thoughts about this full mooooon thing?
(BTW this belongs in the Strategy section because I know there is an effect on peoples games -- I heard advice from a poker pro a long time ago: Never play on the full moon).

Last edited:
Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
here tis

why is everyone skeered o this??

Attachments

• full moon.jpg
    full moon.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 12
slurredreaction

slurredreaction

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always know when there is a full moon around, without looking at the calendar or the sky.

how do you do that?? super powers? or is the full moon always usually on the same day? hmmm.. maybe its a placebo effect for yourself.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is this a serious post?
Yes of course it is. Why do people like city kids not believe that the world around them has an effect on them? Effects of the FM are well documented among animals, plants, people etc. Look it up.
I am looking for its effect on poker.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how do you do that?? super powers? or is the full moon always usually on the same day? hmmm.. maybe its a placebo effect for yourself.
Not super powers, normal human/animal senses. The natural world around is not a mystery, or something apart from us, like a computer screen.
I dont think you know what 'placebo' means, because it makes no sense here.

sandbender

sandbender

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The moon definitely influences many things, from plants to hair.

I first became a believer over mowing the lawn. It seemed I was mowing every week (on my old push mower), and still it was getting out of hand. So the next year, I mowed once in a fertile, waxing sign to make it grow and right away had the greenest lawn in the neighborhood. Then I mowed in a waning moon, sterile sign and only had to mow about once every 6 weeks! I'd sit with a drink in the shade, watching my neighbors riding around on their fancy lawnmowers every few days.

Now I run a plant nursery and do everything by the moon, from cuttings to fertilizing to harvesting. Amazing what a difference it makes!

So why not poker? It should affect everyone, but I imagine it makes the maniacs even more manic!

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

This is much like my students do, make a fast google to prove something. Two articles (of your choice to back you up) are inconsequential re the literature and common experience (Farmers Almanac for instance). Here are two that confirm what I know, no point in going on all day posting links back and forth I hope, peeps can do their own research if they believe all the answers can be googled or answered in the academic literature...

Full Moon & Human Behavior

Full Moon Ion Effect

jdeliverer

jdeliverer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He was talking about the placebo effect, not actual placebos.

Anyway, we don't "know" the moon has a big effect on us... in fact the opposite is true, it has been demonstrated to have little effect. The fact that we are made of 70% water means nothing... the moon doesn't affect water differently from any other substance.

The full moon is basically meaningless for anything measurable, but you can keep up your superstition if it makes you happy. And remember, if you didn't hit your flush last time, it probably will come next time!

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^^^
Yes, there may be a placebo effect, and a kind of communal reaction caused by belief, which can lead to consequences, and that indicates that the effects of a full moon on human activity are real... or demonstrable.

jdeliverer

jdeliverer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, you win. Clearly there's no point in arguing when you have no evidence, nor any signs of being open to contrary evidence. Neither of these websites seem very reliable, nor do they cite their studies.

The study of lunar effects on behavior, etc. is not real science, much like astrology. This has been demonstrated repeatedly. If you would like to refuse to accept this, that's your choice. I'm done here.

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I've merged these threads, as there really isn't a need to have two open on the same topic. Not sure how it would fall under Poker Strategies, so will just leave this one here in General.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Two articles (of your choice to back you up)

Hardly, just the first two I found.

Actually, I have no firm views on the matter, and will cheerfully accept your point of view if the evidence is there. It is not something I had previously thought about.

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
This is much like my students do, make a fast google to prove something. Two articles (of your choice to back you up) are inconsequential re the literature and common experience (Farmers Almanac for instance). Here are two that confirm what I know, no point in going on all day posting links back and forth I hope, peeps can do their own research if they believe all the answers can be googled or answered in the academic literature...

Full Moon & Human Behavior

Full Moon Ion Effect

So, you found a reason for your downswing. It's not your fault. It's the moon's fault! :)

Would you like some tires with zero death crystals?

YouTube - Head and Shoulders Death Crystals

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The moon definitely influences many things, from plants to hair.

I first became a believer over mowing the lawn. It seemed I was mowing every week (on my old push mower), and still it was getting out of hand. So the next year, I mowed once in a fertile, waxing sign to make it grow and right away had the greenest lawn in the neighborhood. Then I mowed in a waning moon, sterile sign and only had to mow about once every 6 weeks! I'd sit with a drink in the shade, watching my neighbors riding around on their fancy lawnmowers every few days.

Now I run a plant nursery and do everything by the moon, from cuttings to fertilizing to harvesting. Amazing what a difference it makes!

So why not poker? It should affect everyone, but I imagine it makes the maniacs even more manic!
Txs bender, I missed this before, among the pseudo-science questioning (its all good). Your phenomenological observation (common sense, observation) has shown u something that 'science' cannot prove or disprove, and so dismisses. I have high regard for gardeners, I am one too, and fishers and hunters and anyone who has sense of and closeness to the land and world around. The kids in the cities with their concrete world will always be looking for 'concrete' answers about nature, since they cannot observe it or participate directly (it is really sad how much people have put all their trust in 'science,' computers and industry -- all they know about where we are).

Txs Juiceeq for merging these, I was trying to do so earlier but cant or dont know how.

Last edited:
Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Surely phenomenological observation would be empirically demonstrable and is actually the foundation of science?

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So, you found a reason for your downswing. It's not your fault. It's the moon's fault! :)

Would you like some tires with zero death crystals?

YouTube - Head and Shoulders Death Crystals
Cheap shot, I am not talking about a downswing, I am talking about a phenomena I observe around 13 times every year. And in my experiece, in poker, I do much better just after a FM than before. In fishing, I also do better. Etc. There are natural cycles in this world, ignore them if you wish, or go read another blog about science.
BTW any women here who can talk about moons? Thot not... scaredy cats...

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Surely phenomenological observation would be empirically demonstrable and is actually the foundation of science?
Yes of course, particularly with regard to Indigenous knowledge, but academic science is often self-indulgent and limited by its own (often political) agenda, not that of the world around. It is unfortunate that most people liken the word 'science' to 'god;' they are missing a lot of their own lives.
With regards to the phenomenon I am describing, most people here will seem to believe what they read (science); not the world around. 'Science' as an authority and institution we have contrived can lead us astray.
For example, what we all read every day: "Scientists say that..." and people buy it. Nothing wrong with science, but not questioning the origins of its empirical assumptions is a mistake. And its arrogance in dismissing Indigenous, folk or common knowledge is a fundamental flaw: I am talking western (Eurocentric) science here.

Last edited:
F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's what I was taught, yes. If a phenomenon is observed, an explanation is required of science. If none exists, one needs to be put in place.

I'd check my databases for anomalies during the full moon, but the problem with the premise of this thread, though, is that poker is a zero-sum game. Everyone can't be doing worse during a full moon. Someone must win. So it might not help if I check my stats since I don't know if I'm supposed to win or lose.

Is there a test I can take, Makwa? I grew up on the countryside, btw, if that helps. Woods all around my house, and no real city to speak of for miles.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is there a test I can take, Makwa? I grew up on the countryside, btw, if that helps. Woods all around my house, and no real city to speak of for miles.

To my limited mind, that is a great advantage, and helps account for your success at the game. Can I do a case study on you?

In the countryside you grew up in btw, does anyone pay attention to the state of the moon on a seasonal basis? No need to answer, even the city kids know the answer to that one. But I would like to hear your thoughts...

BTW this all came about because I am staring at a huge harvest full moon as we speak.

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes of course, particularly with regard to Indigenous knowledge,

Not sure what you're getting at, surely any phenomena that's observable is measurable, whether by natives to an area or not?

but academic science

Is there another type, tautology surely?

is often self-indulgent and limited by its own (often political) agenda, not that of the world around.

Hell of a sweeping statement. Science begins with a hypothesis and then seeks to prove it. If it can't be proved by the evidence then form a new hypothesis and start again. Science isn't supposed to be infallable it's an attempt to explain how the world works by a set of rules and new evidence is constantly being added to the debate.

It is unfortunate that most people liken the word 'science' to 'god;' they are missing a lot of their own lives.

Don't agree with that. What you seem to be getting at is that we should believe in the power of the unprovable or in other words have faith. That's fair enough and believe in what you like, but the moon affecting poker is going to require a bit of evidence and as FP said, one man's loss is by definition anothers gain.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Irex, emprical science exists in a vacuum of its own construction. That is its limitation.

It cannot explain what it does not contemplate, or the factors it ignores in its construction. And what we are discussing takes in more than science can prove in its limited state today.

Why do you stare at my finger when I am pointing at the moon?

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry, didn't realise you were just trolling.