would'nt play,
either for the bounty, or for the 'glory'
of knocking out a pro.
if so,
do you think this is an advantage, or
a disadvantage for the pro.
just curious as to any thoughts.
cheers

The bounty isn't "usually $200." The bounty on FT pros are always the buy-in in MTT's. Plus you get a t-shirt.

And yeah, some people do play hands they normally wouldn't, hoping they can get lucky, just so they can say that they KO'd a pro. But I don't think most people do that.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I suspect it'd be a lot more common in a smaller buy-in tournament than it would be in an FTOPS event where there's a lot more on the line.

SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd pay $20 to earn an "I knocked out a pro" shirt.

So if it was a $2.20 tournament, I stood to get the shirt *plus* my buy-in back, I'd gamble for sure. Even if I'm a 2:1 dog, it's a good deal.

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The bounty isn't "usually $200." The bounty on FT pros are always the buy-in in MTT's. Plus you get a t-shirt.

And yeah, some people do play hands they normally wouldn't, hoping they can get lucky, just so they can say that they KO'd a pro. But I don't think most people do that.

Wouldn't do it just for a lousy T-shirt. LOL
tcummo is correct that the FTOPSmain event and 200k gtd are giving $200 bounties but as you say this isn't "USUAL".

Actually I believe when bounties are in play there is always an incentive to try harder for them.

I think this makes it harder for the Bounty to play.
They will have to stick with more premium hands and will often be played in to by more lesser holdings, many of which suckout against them.
Which also makes it harder for them to determine what they are up against.
(Of course they know this and can adjust their play accordingly and try to take advantage of the weaker hands, so it's swings and roundabouts).

I think it is more a disadvantage overall though because it is like everyone else is ganging up against them, so they are one player against many rather than everyone playing each other.

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
tcummo is correct that the FTOPSmain event and 200k gtd are giving $200 bounties but as you say this isn't "USUAL".

That's because the FTOPS main event has a $200 buy-in. ;)

T

tcummo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ok
don't matter what the bounty is
there is still a bounty
and the 'glory' factor
i think peeps play weaker hands because of this.

advantage pro
or not

A

Aqqachar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

You get the amount of the buyin but $200 is the max. They don't give more then 200 if the buyin of a tourney is more then that.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
advantage pro
or not

In the long run yes, it's got to be an advantage for the pro if their opponents are routinely playing weaker hand ranges against them - assuming the pro notices this and adjusts their own game accordingly.

It might also result in a short run increase in variance though.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Idk... I've never been on a table with a red pro on Fulltilt in a $200 buyin MTT.... only in a micro priv. donkament & a 5nl 6max table (I won 3 pots vs the guy... then he stacked me... lol... sigh).

If you want to rail someone (aside from the red pros).. how bout railing 'ECKSHAR' from Cardschat as he's going deep in the FtopsMainEvent right now, sitting in 120th of 229 left.

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/poker-goals-challenges-wins-46/eckshar-s-ftops-mnevent-gl-gl-181639/

GOOOooooo ECKSHAR!!!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

So if it was a $2.20 tournament, I stood to get the shirt *plus* my buy-in back, I'd gamble for sure. Even if I'm a 2:1 dog, it's a good deal.

I hear ya. Bit of a hi-jack here... .but something along simliar lines.

I f'd up royally a few mos. ago. I was in a Titan Tournament only $5 or $10 buyin but I believe it had some 'money-added' by the site AND it had a couple of 'Titan Pros' in it.. with I think it was a $500 bounty on their heads.
There was a player to my right who I noticed a couple of players getting it in really light with... and at the time I just thought they were f'd. I knew there were two pros BUT I didn't even have their screenames written down in front of me (i knew one of them.. and the other was like... "oh yah.. what's that other pros name?"..idk. prob never see them anyways" (thinking their name would suddenly pop out at me or something, lol). Anyways, I wake up with a decent hand.. a player in CO opens, the player beside me OTB jams,.. I'm on SB with a decent hand... in a spot where it's a tough decision if I'm putting my tourney life on the line here or not.... hmmm... I let my timer rundown..."umm.. do I put the pile in here.. hoping to get HU with the player who jammed... or what..."
I make the fold, figuring I've got decent equity still in the tourney (we're ITM) and am figuring I can find better spots still. CO calls with junk, BTN wins the hand... I would've won.. then..yup.. I find it 'that's the Titan Pro', LOL.... what a dumbazz. Would've been worth way more to just get it in then 100% of the time, lol. ( I think I ended up min-cashing for like $20 some odd, lol). If I had known... I would've shoved with 74o.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

Wouldn't do it just for a lousy T-shirt. LOL
tcummo is correct that the FTOPSmain event and 200k gtd are giving $200 bounties but as you say this isn't "USUAL
".

Actually, the FtopsMainEvent was more than a $200 buyin (~$640 I believe). Pretty sure that $200 is the highest the bounty goes to.

Bounty is equivalent to the buyin (if you're in $10 MidnightMadness MTT & you knock out a pro, you'll get $10).

And what do you mean 'lousy t-shirt', I'm wearing one right now (that someone gave to me).

R

rozzz5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are getting a $200 bounty, it means its a $200 buy in tournament so the prize pools will be for substantial money. It doesn't seem prudent to play unorthordox just for $200 and decrease ones chances of a big cash.

R

Rickforking

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea, I think it's pretty much constantly done. J4, k2, etc...

Sixes Full

Sixes Full

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the tshirt for its material quality (Gildan heavy cotton) but the little white poodle on the front is not too appealing...

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are so many pros on Full Tilt and also on Stars, i think we all will be pro´s soon LOL. In the past there was only a handful pros, now we have a inflation and most of these pro´s aren´t very good at poker...

GCB

GCB

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I did it, I'd want a t-shirt that says, "I beat Tom Dwan heads up and all I got is this lousy t-shirt." With a FTP logo on it.

R

Rabidus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I satty'd in to the $300 FTOPS event a couple of weeks ago (#13 I think) and was seated with a red pro for quite a while. The bounty on them was $200 so it's not always the buy-in amount.

I can say that I did want to take him out. Unfortunately, I was so card dead I wasn't taking very many shots and someone else at the table managed to knock him out with pocket Q's over his AK.

I think I would have taken a bit of an extra shot at him but not at the expense of running deep in the tournament.

lektrikguy

lektrikguy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
FT has so many pros-most of who you've never heard of- that it's gotta get expensive for them buying all those T-shirts.

T

TenerifePro

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I knocked out a pro called christian kruel and had AA vs AK. does anyone know long it takes for the shirt to arrive. thanks:D

P

pol_92121

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i knoked out matt sexton in a 2$ tournament and i had very lucky because i had jj and he had aa...at the river i caught the j...wooooowwwwww...... when i saw the aces i thought that ft help the pro to win... but it's not far...
also i think there are many player who play more agressivly only for knock out pro's... i think that's good for pro

Atticus22

Atticus22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you are playing in a private tourney on FTP with a pro in it,
there has to be at least 30 people registered to get a
t-shirt if you knock out the pro.

there isnt any bounty (that I know of) unless it is a KO tourney or
the pro pays out the bounty himself/herself.

pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes you just have to be lucky. I was in the $1 90 player double stack tournament in the big blinds with A-8s against a pro in the bb that was all in, becuz he had been crippled by the previous hand. I would have probably folded just to keep him playing ,but UTG limped in, and the flop came up with an A8 so I had to bet.

There has to be at least 45 players in a tourney to be eligible.You get mailed a t-shirt, and a cash bounty reward equal to the buy in. It usually takes about two weeks for the t-shirt to arrive.

Shortly thereafter, he came back and KO'd me out of a $1 PL SNG. What comes around goes around...I suppose that is the way it is in poker;)

Last edited:
pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like the tshirt for its material quality (Gildan heavy cotton) but the little white poodle on the front is not too appealing...
I disagree...The poodle looks cool. I wear it in public all the time ,and it gets lots of attention.