Double or Nothings?

nc_royals

nc_royals

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is a reasonable winning percentage for these 10 person Double or Nothing Sit n Gos? Ive played in probably 50 now and am around 55% win-rate. Im starting to see some improvement on this style game and hope to be increasing that rate as time goes. Just wanted to hear from others playing this Sit n Go.
Thanks

B

buster999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
55% is pretty good. Need to play more games to get a better idea of your win rate. Most profitable players I look up on shark scope that play don's are between 54% -58%. Have't came accross anybody yet with a win rate over 60% but im sure there out there. You have to have a winrate of 53% to have a positve ROI.

Mentor

Mentor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to have a winrate of 53% to have a positve ROI.

Which site are you talking about? Different sites have different rakes on DONs, which will result in different winrates required for a positive ROI.

B

buster999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Merge network. you would have to have a winning percentage of 52.6 to break exactly even with 35%Rb. Thats with .08% Tourneyfee. I'm not sure what percentage you need on stars to break even with there VIP program but it would be intersting to find out.

JamesDaBear

JamesDaBear

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What is a reasonable winning percentage for these 10 person Double or Nothing Sit n Gos? Ive played in probably 50 now and am around 55% win-rate. Im starting to see some improvement on this style game and hope to be increasing that rate as time goes. Just wanted to hear from others playing this Sit n Go.
Thanks

Depends on your definition of reasonable. You're not playing poker to break even unless you've got a good rakeback deal or playing lots of volume to take advantage of bonuses and rewards. You should probably stop looking at your win rate and look more at the ROI of your sessions and working towards multi-tabling at a higher and higher rate while keeping an ROI that is "reasonable" for you (while also having a plan for your rakeback, bonuses, etc.). If you can't hit that, then move on to another form of poker. I wouldn't get too discouraged if your win rate doesn't improve as you move in levels, which you should be trying to do.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you don't shoot yourself in the head to relieve the absolute boredom of playing DoNs, i think you should already consider this a win, regardless of your results.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you don't shoot yourself in the head to relieve the absolute boredom of playing DoNs, i think you should already consider this a win, regardless of your results.

I concur. :)

R

rowling

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When comes to these kind of games you double or loose. Some time you loose and to win the loose you play again and get loose more.

LeanAndMean

LeanAndMean

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A 55% win rate on Dbl ups is not a break even proposition. A 50% rate is losing because you lose two rakes. You need to win 2 out of 3 to show a profit worth the time

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Running at 72%.Play it tight like an SNG for first to blind levels.AA, KK, Ak all-in someone usually calls.

If you are around 1050, on a 1200chip start, after 2 blind levels then you need to start stealing from HJ CO and button.

As long as you have fold equity many steals get through.

Evaluate callers and limpers as weak and go after them also.

Stay above 1500 chips (888poker.com 1200chip start) and you will probably last to the final 5 players.

The DON can take over half an hour so if I get over 2,500 chips I start another one, and count the first as a collect.

Using these to DONs to build another bank to re-place that tied up on FTP.:)

mapt02h

mapt02h

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I regurarly play with a player at the micro DoNs who has a 9% ROI over a 5K sample. To play so much and only win so little is what makes me wonder why people actually bother with DoNs.

Ironically, that's kinda the only SnG type I'm playing just now.... Might have to reconsider though

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
As a former punter on horses 9% ROI would have been brilliant!

Pothole

Pothole

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a former punter on horses 9% ROI would have been brilliant!

You can take a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. 10seat double up sngs are a cash cow,,,,,for the house. End of subjuct.
And this "horse" has been flogged to death". Worse than the run in at Aintree

pokerchris

pokerchris

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did anybody build bank roll by playing DoN in Carbon Poker?

JamesDaBear

JamesDaBear

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to win 2/3? LOL. Thank god there are people who play poker who use this kind of math.

JamesDaBear

JamesDaBear

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I regurarly play with a player at the micro DoNs who has a 9% ROI over a 5K sample. To play so much and only win so little is what makes me wonder why people actually bother with DoNs.

Ironically, that's kinda the only SnG type I'm playing just now.... Might have to reconsider though

Exactly what form of poker are you expecting to give you a higher ROI over a significant sample at a level where you see a significant hourly winrate? You also left out the win rate you're seeing playing yours... which should matter much more than your "friend's".

DoN SNGs are highly exploitable and profitable. You can reconsider all you want... more for me.

B

budebuzz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the DON sitngos because I'm up right now! LOL probably hate them if I was not winning. I play the $5 $10 and $20, if I win a $20 I can loose a couple of the smaller ones and I dont find the play much different across the levels.

gefishy

gefishy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
See, I've had pretty solid success when I am patient. As with anything I suppose...

P

pobe27mo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also think they are easier to learn multitabling as you are playing so few hands.

F4STFORW4RD

F4STFORW4RD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure what percentage you need on stars to break even with there VIP program but it would be intersting to find out.
Stars don't do Double or Nothings now, probably had too many problems with collusion?

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stars don't do Double or Nothings now, probably had too many problems with collusion?

They do a FiftyFifty which is similar.

but I think the single table knockouts are better games.

(better=easy to play, quick to play, like DoN, but more enjoyable and potentially higher returns).

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Well because they're easy to mass-multi-table for one. Easy to clear site's bonuses with.
Nothing wrong with roi+9% in SNG's imo. Doubt you'll get much higher than that in STT-SNG (maybe you will but it's not typical). Only SNG formats I see players running with much higher ROI's is the 27plyr & 45plyr SNGs, where it's not unusual to see good, winning regs. with ROI in high 20's.

I can't figure out the calculation for DoNs where you need to be winning 2/3? How much are they charging for rake on these now? (on sites that still have them that is... also not even sure why sites still run these after discovering via pokerstars how collusion runs rampant in these games). If you were winning 2/3 (an insane winrate imo), then if you were playing $10 DoNs, wouldn't that be an ROI of ~28% ?? (I'm pretty sure that's nowhere even close to bein' possible).

F4STFORW4RD

F4STFORW4RD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They do a FiftyFifty which is similar.
Whether it's similar is debatable. They require a completely different strategy, because how many chips you end up with matters.
When comes to these kind of games you double or loose. Some time you loose and to win the loose you play again and get loose more.
Loose = not tight, lose = not win.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm hooked on the Merge 6-max DONs. They've been a regular ATM for me since March when I signed up on Lock Poker. I put in relatively little volume compared to pre-BF days. One session on most nights (not every night) of 4-12 DONs, ~200 total a month. I made a $200 deposit in March, withdrew ~$1500 on BF a month or so later. When the BF panic subsided several days later, I re-deposited the $200, ran it up to $1400 again, withdrew $1100 a couple weeks ago. So a total of $2600 withdrawn and currently back up to ~$700 online. Subtract the $400 in deposits and we're looking at ~$3100 profit over 4 months as of today, counting the 35% RB. I play mostly $30's these days, usually 4-6 at a time, but will also jump into the $50's and $80's when they start filling up (as with most sites I keep most of my poker BR offline and re-deposit as needed if I run bad, so BRM with my online roll doesn't come into play).

There are quite a few droolers, but there's also a steady set of regs and given the few tables going, you can't help but play with them. I play regularly with a number of Lock pros and other regs and honestly don't have any trouble holding my own against them in these, whereas I'd probably be quite the dog to a lot of them in regular games. That said, during last night's session while playing five $30 DONs I fired up a sixth table, an $11 10-man SNG, just to keep my non-DON skills from getting too stale. Despite me quickly realizing it was probably a mistake to mix game types (for me, anyway, as it was a bit dizzying switching strategy back and forth), I took down 4/5 of the DONs and took down the SNG as well. Yeah, I'm running good I guess, but it's been a pretty long streak of nearly 800 games, and I'm going to cash in until it stops. :)

sharkscope is showing me with only a 5% ROI (it looks like it has missed a few results based on the profit numbers, but it's pretty close). I'd have to check HEM to see what it says, honestly I've not even looked at my HEM results in some time, that's how laid back I've become with playing, lol.

Funny though that my worst ROI is at the extremely soft $20 games. I just don't think I have the patience anymore to nit it up against the no-folders, so I tend to run/play really bad in them. That said, I started at the $10's and did okay there. Weird. $20 seems to be the sweet spot where most of the recreational fish like to jump in, and I just don't seem to adjust well to them.

Considering how this is essentially just relaxation poker compared to the old grind which was quite a bit more stressful, I'm thoroughly enjoying the casual pace and easy money. Even the few ~$500 downswings I had along the way didn't concern me all that much.

merge_dons_2011-07-18.png