DoN Collusion

runnerx289

runnerx289

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi I was told once to stay away from double or nothing sit and go's because they are a haven for collusion. And I know Stars got rid of there DoN sngs because of it but I was wondering why DoN are popular for collusion? I am struggling to see how? Also does anyone have any stories or articles on any cases of this? Thanks, I'll be interested in some responses. :)

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi I was told once to stay away from double or nothing sit and go's because they are a haven for collusion. And I know Stars got rid of there DoN sngs because of it but I was wondering why DoN are popular for collusion? I am struggling to see how? Also does anyone have any stories or articles on any cases of this? Thanks, I'll be interested in some responses. :)

You will often see two bigstacks calling the shortie's all in on the bubble with any cards, it's a sort of implied collusion and doesn't require them to know each other at all - it just makes sense to gang up on the shortie from an icm perspective. If that one guy goes home, everyone else gets paid. This is not 'cheating', it's just smart poker.

As for actual collusion - I don't know how good your grasp of ICM is, but DoN's are heavily affected by very small movements in chips from one player to another. The shortest stack on the bubble is a dangerous place to be, and even a small 2bbs chip dump from a colluding big stack can negatively affect the equity of every person at the table, as there's no longer an imminent payout for everyone else.

I don't think I explained that very well, sorry. But I've just looked on google and here's an article that may explain it a bit better:

http://www.daleroxxu.co.uk/2010/05/49-player-chinese-cheating-scandal-on.html

runnerx289

runnerx289

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You will often see two bigstacks calling the shortie's all in on the bubble with any cards, it's a sort of implied collusion and doesn't require them to know each other at all - it just makes sense to gang up on the shortie from an icm perspective. If that one guy goes home, everyone else gets paid. This is not 'cheating', it's just smart poker.

As for actual collusion - I don't know how good your grasp of ICM is, but DoN's are heavily affected by very small movements in chips from one player to another. The shortest stack on the bubble is a dangerous place to be, and even a small 2bbs chip dump from a colluding big stack can negatively affect the equity of every person at the table, as there's no longer an imminent payout for everyone else.

I don't think I explained that very well, sorry. But I've just looked on google and here's an article that may explain it a bit better:

http://www.daleroxxu.co.uk/2010/05/49-player-chinese-cheating-scandal-on.html

Thanks a lot this helped me understand a lot better useful link too!

Blobweird123

Blobweird123

CC's very own Dead Head
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very easily really. 2 friends sit down, one dumps to the others AI with junk and loses. Now the big stack colluder has an advantage over everyone at the table, esp in a 6max game where all he needs to do now is wait out 2 players and its over. I see alot of this in the first few hands at Bovada, but it's very easily a fish that just spews every game as well. Hard to say. Either way, i'm still winning and half the time off of the big stacks chips so if they are there, then they are doing a terrible job! Haha

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very easily really. 2 friends sit down, one dumps to the others AI with junk and loses. Now the big stack colluder has an advantage over everyone at the table, esp in a 6max game where all he needs to do now is wait out 2 players and its over. I see alot of this in the first few hands at Bovada, but it's very easily a fish that just spews every game as well. Hard to say. Either way, i'm still winning and half the time off of the big stacks chips so if they are there, then they are doing a terrible job! Haha

Surely this strategy loses to rake/variance? One player loses a buyin, the other maybe wins two?

Blobweird123

Blobweird123

CC's very own Dead Head
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I suppose your right lol. Have to be doing it this way at the Triple ups or higher. Nevermind my other post!

aa88wildbill

aa88wildbill

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually when this happens, it's two or three guys working together, depend on how many places are paid. Watch out for been raised up. One guy will raise, then you call, then the next guy will reraise. Another way you might be able to detect this is when you're in a hand with these guys if you fold the action will stop one where the other.

aa88wildbill

aa88wildbill

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They probably are also communicating over the telephone with one another. They can tell each other their cards and they will get to see 4 more cards then you do.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
aa88wildbill;2068661 depend on how many places are paid. [/quote said:
OP is referring to DoN's (Double or Nothing Sit 'n Goes, where 'half' the field gets paid).

LuckyBundy13

LuckyBundy13

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
DoN's are sooooooo boring. If you will play them, don't do it on Bovada. My 2cents.

B

bnasp2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In DoNs, when 2-3 players have helping each other, they got very good chance bust other players out, like:
- one of colluding is short stack. The other are aggresive to other short stack, to bust him before they friend
- some with big stack can "send" some chips to short stack
- of course no chance that they will bust each other at bubble, regardless of cards
- plus of course they share info about their cards (it can help a lot sometimes, when you see extra 4 cards which you friends folded).

Overall, they can add enough to their profit to beat rake and variance.

Samango

Samango

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
IMO it is probably enough that they may not chip dump etc. but merely soft-play each other.
Now each of them only needs to come in the top 5 with only 8 (real) opponents rather than 9 in a full table, or top 3 with only 4 (real) opponents 6-max.
That's enough of an edge to change the profitability of the game.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If you will play them, don't do it on Bovada.
this ^
with players being anonymous, it'd be much easier for them to collude & way more difficult to watch for it/prove it. (obv.)

T

texasoldtimer

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most obvious on bovada when short stack shoves on river and big stack only has to put in ten percent of his stack to call but folds instead. Happened multiple times on one table I was at.

steveiam

steveiam

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because of the payout it would make sense for the big stacks to call an allin from the short stack.Two chances to knock him out its just how it is in DoN's.Wether they know each other or not.

C

cander128

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most obvious on bovada when short stack shoves on river and big stack only has to put in ten percent of his stack to call but folds instead. Happened multiple times on one table I was at.

I see this alot on bovada, often times it is just a player who does not know what he is doing. They don't understand stack management/tournament format and are still playing like it is a regular tournament where they would want to come in first place. Many times that fool folds not only to short stack but others that really can't hurt their stack either. I did it myself once, got down to bubble and my huge stack could control the play. Limp folded against small stack and kept raising another player who was talking crap during play. Literally was lol while he was saying he was reporting me for collusion. Never heard from bovada but collusion involves more than one, and I knew nobody talked to nobody and did it all on my own. Almost wish bovada had contacted me because when I knocked him out he used a racial slur.

GOIVIT

GOIVIT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to play a lot of DoN's and I can't ever remember thinking that several players were colluding, but cheating is as old as the game of poker.

bullishwwd

bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yep, I tend to totally agree mate!

I would add that any "one table" game (SnG or Ring) lends itself to collusion. This is why it is even more important to "observe and learn" what is going on as you play these games.

Pay attention, play accordingly, and be patient.

I prefer the Triple-ups over Double-ups since they seem to yield better "value" for the buy-in.

Wally

bullishwwd

bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Because of the payout it would make sense for the big stacks to call an allin from the short stack.Two chances to knock him out its just how it is in DoN's.Wether they know each other or not.
Steve, I agree with your comment.

But, I tend to "not fully agree" with your 'signature' statement ... "Every loss takes you one step closer to a win".

I think I actually understand the intent and inference made, but 'every loss can also take you one step closer to being broke'. BRM will help prevent it, but not insure it.

steveiam

steveiam

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Steve, I agree with your comment.

But, I tend to "not fully agree" with your 'signature' statement ... "Every loss takes you one step closer to a win".

I think I actually understand the intent and inference made, but 'every loss can also take you one step closer to being broke'. BRM will help prevent it, but not insure it.

I think you have to believe that win is just around the corner,If you learn and are good enough you will win eventually. \You will have that day when your pairs stand up against the draws and you hit your draws.