Do you trust public WiFi to play poker?

J

JamaicanKid

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have taken the risk before. Can't say it is a smart one though.

veronica

veronica

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also agree the wifi published no more consider safe for a place that is a poker room where there may be villains who might harm us, i prefer the security of a home network like a proper configuration.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It may not be wise, but I have used public wifi before without any problems.

iflylight

iflylight

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
never thought about this before but an interesting topic thinking about this now i realise it probably isint safe but never really heard stories of people getting robbed off public wifi

taban13

taban13

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess I better still keep their money back. It's also not worth it.

J

Jpetro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I generally wouldn't worry about it. I would feel safer playing poker than filling out an online application that asks for personal info such as social security numbers.

P

PlayedYou73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I generally wouldn't worry about it. I would feel safer playing poker than filling out an online application that asks for personal info such as social security numbers.

So all the financial information you could give a poker site, while trying to make a deposit or withdrawal doesn't count then?

P

PlayedYou73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play with the password, it is convenient, and nobody steals))

Yet...

An analogy is that I could drive drunk down the road one time, and because I did it that one time, that must mean it's a totally safe thing to do.

Or play "russian roulette" once. After all, I've only got a one chance in 6 of blowing my head off.

"Everyone" plays with a password, so I don't see how your argument holds water anyway. The longest password in the world won't do you any good if you're sending it over an unencypted wi-fi netword where it's sent in the clear, meaning anyone with some basic technical knowledge can "see your secret password".

Steve2777

Steve2777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont like to play using public wifi , because someone could hack ur account.

arahel_jazz

arahel_jazz

Unbalanced and Committed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you were to look at the underlying network traffic, poker sites communicate to their clients through TLS protocols. This is as safe as it gets for encrypted communication without some type of tunneling through IPSec.

Having said that - I wouldn't sign up or do any financial transactions, but just playing tables should not be a problem on open Wi-Fi.

I would be more worried about your computer (firewalls, A/V, HIM..) being wide open or clicking on stupid links in Facebook.

_xrolex_90

_xrolex_90

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hackers break into accounts and without the aid of public places with internet.As for public wi-fi, I do find it fragile and do not occur in this places such monetary transactions.

D

don_MYSHU3

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I use a wifi network to play poker and my pc has to suffer

E

exostenz

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
RE: Dont believe it

I don't. I even cashed a freeroll for $1.35 and no one stole the money from my account. I take that as proof that no one can steal passwords in a public network.

At serious money stakes people will infiltrate the homes of high rolling account holders and install software on their machine to steal money. It is easy to get passwords from public open wifi setups

kabrouto22

kabrouto22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use public wifi very often and i play poker pretty much the whole time.Never had a problem with it and i dont really think i will.

Mark Gavr

Mark Gavr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even there is not any possibility to go on the Internet to play poker, not when it would not go to the public vayfay its speed just a little micro, at any time may turn off because of the large number of users of the network.

L

Loviekelley

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

Disgusting...Yea, i agree to all your points.

J

jimmy62

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that would just be asking for trouble.Consider the fact that, there is an App that police,fire rescue,911,etc.where someone, that is within a certain distance of your phone, they can hear,and see everything on your phone thru this app.I have a sister on the sherriffs dept. and she says there is no such thing as a private WI-FI hookup.The wrong person could make a lot of problems for a lot of people just hacking one poker site.$$$$$

9betterluck9

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never really thought about it or the possible repercussions on playing on public wi-fi, especially in terms of what could possibly be stolen or hacked! I, like others here have used it before to play online. Thank goodness, I have had no issues. But I will never be doing that agin! Thanks so much for posting this and getting this conversation going. I sure feel like a dummy, and I'm sure I would be the last person to feel this way after reading this. Thanks again.

B

Bayern2015

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have my wifi with secuirity password... Nobody can steal and join only if i tell a password... ;)

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've used it in the past with no issues but now a days I use my phone as a router. It's a little slow, but playable.

radman

radman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In regards to "public" would you consider wifi link at hotels to fall into this category? I realize that even with having to sign in at a hotel your using a pw but that pw is usually not that abstract.
I have also found that I was able to install Carbon on the hotels computer and play that way. I change my Carbon pw just prior to something else, then revert back. I do the pw thing using the wifi also.

T

tke001

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no way I'd use a public wifi connection to play online poker! I don't check email at a public connection so maybe I'm just paranoid.

Before I finished posting I read the message above about hotel wifi and am not sure how I feel. I normally play only at my home or a home owned by my family; however, I have played at a few hotels.

Great thread...got me re-thinking some things as far as security goes

M

MPaz_87

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't trust public wifi to play, at least of course not a tournament, but if you want to play a few hands on regulars or zoom I think its okay. I've tried once to do it, to play with public wifi and it didn't end well, so I've learnt my lesson.

S

satirist

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe a freeroll, on a "dummy" account (on a site I didn't deposit, for example) with [ZERO bank info]* on, say, a mobile device could be more or less reasonable... Or just as unsafe as checking your email, anyways... Therefore, as we learned from kidkvno1 and rickypr18, no one cares about a buck something... : )

enolan

enolan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use wifi on trains and in hotels to play poker, with no issues to report. I'm usually very paraniod about security but i guess my desire to play poker negates the risk.
I'd probably review this decision if my BR was significantly bigger though.