Do you judge players by their poker handles?

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you judge players which I do by their poker handles at all?

If someone has a sloppy or bad handle that imho should not be allowed in the game in the first place do you judge them for being probably not much of a player because of that handle is sooo bad?

I do not want to get in trouble here but I see some things that can only shake head at and when see the handle im like this dude is just not serious or a good player.

TempoShaman

TempoShaman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IDK, it's hard to really take a side because every player changes and anyone can play one way one day, and completely different the next. So generally no..I do usually note it tho

H

HooDooKoo

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips

If someone has a sloppy or bad handle that imho should not be allowed in the game in the first place do you judge them for being probably not much of a player because of that handle is sooo bad?

I do not want to get in trouble here but I see some things that can only shake head at and when see the handle im like this dude is just not serious or a good player.

Why would there be ANY correlation --- positive or negative --- between the quality of a poker player and his/her handle?

-HooDooKoo

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you mean by the money buyin one poker player bring in to the table or the whole money a player owns??

well, I just want to say, need to play and see.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips

No

There is a player here who uses the name lookatmynutzzz, crazy name but a good player.

fubarcdn

fubarcdn

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never look at the names because some are composed to lull you into a false sense of security.
I know a semi pro player that uses the handle Aunt Bee and a pic of Aunt Bee from the Andy Griffith show as his avatar. It is very effective in making people think he is an old lady who bakes cookies.
Be very careful what perceptions you draw from a name.
Mine is fubar but unfortunately it is a truism. --------------or is it?

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never look at the chat, nickname or avatar, nothing about the game is not to say. All this can be deceptive move..

Need look only poker action, the position and size of the stack

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Names don't mean anything and if you're basing your actions on a players screen name, that's just really stupid. In fact, judging a player on anything other than their play is stupid. You make decisions based on how they play, not their name.

BiliousBetil

BiliousBetil

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why would there be ANY correlation --- positive or negative --- between the quality of a poker player and his/her handle?

This sort of thinking does exist. There is at least one training site that advises its members to look for players with non-(training site) style names as these players are probably so-called fish. Really? I mean, really? :confused:

H

HooDooKoo

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
This sort of thinking does exist. There is at least one training site that advises its members to look for players with non-(training site) style names as these players are probably so-called fish. Really? I mean, really? :confused:

I'm not disputing the fact that said thinking exists: OP already confirmed that.

I am asking WHY anyone would believe this theory? I seriously doubt that there is any data supporting this theory, and I would like to see that data if it exists.

-HooDooKoo

gus201

gus201

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldnt judge any one until you have seen them play.
Watch a few hands see what they act and do then you can judge them much better .

Always be looking to see if they change anything that may give you a better perspective of how they play.

Back in the day I think the names were more consistent with how they play but now a days they do things to throw you off.

Good Skill at the tables

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No

There is a player here who uses the name lookatmynutzzz, crazy name but a good player.

Data is more reliable.
but name just give u the first image.

PS: Lookatmynutzzz is trying to advertisements his table image.
actually the chance to get nuts is equal to all players. LOL:D

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I am much more likely to judge someone based on where they live....

Like if they are from some godforsaken area of the country like central Fl. I just think man this guy is probably some middle aged boob who probably overpaid for his house during the boom and has a crap education if he was from there originally.

If you look at the world class online players from the states they're overwhelmingly young and from the Northeast/Mid Atlantic, Chicago, and California originally.

So basically Blue America.

EA2USN

EA2USN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this doesn't have to do with players names but I have used this a few times in reading a live player. The two times I was able to get the player to answer it work for me. Facing a critical decision as to fold or call a large bet on the river of a live game, after a few moments of thinking I asked the player are you a republican or a democrat?

The first time the the older gentleman looked at me kinda dumb founded and proudly stated he was a republican. I thought for a few more seconds and folded my top and bottom two pair that was made on the river card. He kindly showed me that he had made a set on the river and asked why I asked him that? Later I told him that republicans are more conservative in nature and you were proud to be a republican, so there fore I speculated that you were a conservative also, and a conservative would be less likely to be bluffing me in that situation.

Another time I asked a guy in a similar situation and he replied that he was a democrat and I snapped called with second pair to his large river bet, to which he just stated nice call and mucked his hand.

I have asked two or three other times but player refused to answer.

So the two time answered it worked out for me.

So take it for what its worth.

By the way I'm a registered Libertarian LOL

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
interesting for sure thanks for feedback just cant take players seriously if dont take self. So yes if havent gotten notes yet on a new player and he/she has a handle I consider a joke or something I am probably going to call that all in out of position with weaker hand etc.. Sometimes will get stomped I am sure:)

What will say is adding notes and watching said players as suggested notes are helping on my main sites already after one month:)

V

vinest

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I make notes on a player if he plays poorly. a friend of mine made a lot of notes, but one day when updating the next version of poker error has occurred. had to re-install the poker and notes disappeared. it was very sad, because missing valuable information

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I take zero influence from names and avatars, and I have also learned the hard way to take zero influence from table chat.

Making broad assumptions based on location, name, etc. is dangerous, especially when you refuse to let go of them in the face of significant evidence to the contrary.

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I did a search for best poker names and found a thread on a poker forum which is a lot bigger than this one, a lot more aggressive and confrontational in tone than this one and virtually all of the names that they were listing as the best names that they had ever seen were either sexist, racist or abusive. "Icumonurtits" was a typical example.

The worrying part is that quite a few of the players involved (that had the "best poker names ever") were actually good players and certainly far more advanced at poker than I am, although admittedly that's no great achievement.

So to answer the question, no, a player name tells me nothing about their skill at poker.

B

badalhoco345

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are some players that plays the same tournaments that I play that I take some notes. Some (a few may I say) of them, play defined hands and I know that when they are in game they have good hands. But in general, most of the players do not play the same way: one day plays one way and in the other plays other style; even in the same tournament there are players that change their style of play according with the chips they have.

So I don't give to much relevance to that. I almost got concerned with my hands.

T

Teofealter

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No. You judge them the way they play. Labels are meant to fool you.

Mark Gavr

Mark Gavr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, all hands are different, it is necessary to judge the game

G

Gabuz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No the name has no importance to me. I just look at how the player behaves, how he plays, his position, his stack and that is how I make my judgment.

G

gipetto541

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
u kidding?

thats pretty rediculous to think you can gain any info from what a persons screenname is....

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
"it depends"
if they have 'wodeni' in the name or '72' or 'Mom' they're often spewy/bad aggros (in low/micro limits)
could prolly post some screenshots for examples ;)
I too tend to put more stock into location (location, location, location...)... ie. netherlands are typically 3-betting spew fish... betting with no plan

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands