Do you feel good after sucking out?

W

watchtowel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you play badly or go on tilt but get lucky and win, do you feel good? I get the same rush whether I win through good play or bad ...

psy0nyd3

psy0nyd3

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yep I think its only natural to grin after your donk shove takes down a huge pot.

P

papatango123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
feels awsome when you runner runner suckout on someone far better than a standard win.

essambb

essambb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
that is the diffrent between gamblin and playing poker only the best player never go on tilt thats why phill ivey is the best in the world becouse he is mentally strong as you should move on after a bad beat and not get breserker on the table
but it feel good any way lol

Sven Deuceman

Sven Deuceman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i'll look up the study but i found one from oxford that showed a gambler's brain gets the same rush (dopamine) from losing as winning.
it's an interesting little discovery to think about.
@essam , ivey tilts bud don't kid yourself. but definitely a key to strong play is knowing how to stop or deal with tilt

SYWTWAF

SYWTWAF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not on my better days. I can't say I'm completely immune to the emotional ups and downs of poker, but I consciously try to adopt an indifferent mindset when I play. Sometimes, if it coincides with bad play, sucking out actually bothers me. Sucking out only creates an illusion of winning--whatever I did to get to that point isn't really winning me anything in the long run (which is the only kind of "winning" that matters)--and getting too caught up in adrenaline rushes only gets in the way of distinguishing good play from bad play, so I try to resist them as much as I can.

Last edited:
FatBasset

FatBasset

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I get more enjoyment on a "suck out" than if I have the best hand. I especially love it when I hit a redraw on the river to beat a suck out on the turn.

R

RVladimiro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes, if it coincides with bad play, sucking out actually bothers me. Sucking out only creates an illusion of winning--whatever I did to get to that point isn't really winning me anything in the long run (which is the only kind of "winning" that matters)--and getting too caught up in adrenaline rushes only gets in the way of distinguishing good play from bad play, so I try to resist them as much as I can.

Same here. Getting money from a bad play can be quite a trap. Detach emotionaly from the result and concentrate more on the play is how I see it and I have to say it's probably the most difficult part of poker for me.

I won't say I feel bad for getting the money but I don't think it is a positive influence in my game, quite the opposite. I usually mark those hands to check later the same way I would if I had lost it.

I was watching The Poker Star yesterday and Joe Hachem told one of the guys there something like "I don't mind being lucky when I make a good play, but I do mind a bad play". I don't believe anyone can survive off suckouts.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
actually yea the best is getting it in with a good hand, having your opponent suck out on you on the flop or turn, and then you suck back out on him on the river

alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It feels great. Variance is a huge part of the game. Its nice when it saves you instead of breaking your heart. I have enough degen in me to love the gambler's rush. :)

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
actually yea the best is getting it in with a good hand, having your opponent suck out on you on the flop or turn, and then you suck back out on him on the river

^ this. Brings the lulz IMO.

_dogmeat

_dogmeat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i'll look up the study but i found one from oxford that showed a gambler's brain gets the same rush (dopamine) from losing as winning.
it's an interesting little discovery to think about.
@essam , ivey tilts bud don't kid yourself. but definitely a key to strong play is knowing how to stop or deal with tilt
I once heard Ivey say he likes to lose so much to not be able to breathe.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It feels good, very good.

Best of it is when you have a player who plays 50% of hands, raising every hand etc. You get sucked out on time after time with the best handand then you finally pick up a hand, like Queens, he raises and you think you must but WAY ahead. end up getting it all in and these lucky gits seem to always turn over Aces/Kings at the wrong time, so you hit your set and I think justice is done! :D

wolfie

wolfie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i am honest to say that i enjoy a suckout the same as another won hand at that moment !
but later after analyzing my play later i will be not happy with them !
angry about my play that i needed a suckout to win a hand that i should have lost,
a hand that i should not have played !
but what is a suckout ? winning a coinflip is not a suckout !
winning a hand that i should have folded if i played it good is !:icon_joke

B

BluffYou123

Back in the Game
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It feels good, very good.

Best of it is when you have a player who plays 50% of hands, raising every hand etc. You get sucked out on time after time with the best handand then you finally pick up a hand, like Queens, he raises and you think you must but WAY ahead. end up getting it all in and these lucky gits seem to always turn over Aces/Kings at the wrong time, so you hit your set and I think justice is done! :D

This.

If I play a hand particularly bad and suck out I may apologise to the player I sucked out on but feel bad??? Naaaaaahhhhhhhhh :D

F

fugitive67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i do say SRY! when i suck out and i think i mean it ... i dont feel good if i played a hand poorly and got lucky ... i might feel relieved, but not good

i do feel good though, when say i shoved with KK or QQ v AA and got lucky, since i didnt misplay the hand and it's certainly happened more often the other way around (or at least it seems that way! )

AnonBadFish

AnonBadFish

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel lucky. If it happened during a tilt, it tends to calm me down and strengthens my play.

danprince10

danprince10

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I certainly don't feel bad, its not like it feels great. I just kinda feel "finally its my turn to do this to someone else".