Do you all "have a hand"

shortstacked

shortstacked

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the two special cards that you LOVE to see in your pocket 'your hand'! The cards that no other average poker player would play, 'that hand always hits' you play it.

Do you all have this superstition? I find it amusing.I got a couple of buddies that always have to play certain hands(within reason). For example they won't play it late in a tournament into a big raise but will make moves with it all the time in cash games and online! Cracks me up.they really 'believe' that the hand is going to hit.

Even though I am a very metaphysical/superstitious person;) Maybe I'm to pesimistic(sp?) and then the 'Card fairy' or 'Poker Gods' don't let those cards come up, because I don't believe! But, since my friends are SO excited to see those cards and believe in them so much they really come. But really if you play any hand over and over and over it WILL hit So

I really wasn't a believer, until I saw my friend hit quads with his hand, flop a boat, and hit a set all in the same damn day, hot, maybe- but if I hit that many hands in a day with ANY TWO cards I'm happy... let alone ONE hand:)

So do you have a hand? lets here about them

wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I have a favorite hand, It's AA...

No hand "always hits"...is that what they told you . . .? lol

JeeDub84

JeeDub84

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My hand that I love is 44. I usually play with caution like usuall, but it seems I hit trips more with 44 than any other pocketpair. It also seems as though it hits at more beneficial times than not. Like in the later parts of a tourny, if I am pushing to steal but get a caller with overcards or even occasionally when I get out of line. 44 isnt the greatest starting hand I know, but it can be so inconspicuos when you hit.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
wsorbust said:
Yes, I have a favorite hand, It's AA...

No hand "always hits"...is that what they told you . . .? lol

He said "The cards that no other average poker player would play."

But, ignoring that statement, Mine is K, J. I always win with it. I'll take K, J over K, Q any day.

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mine is QT when limping, my girlfriend's is 69, which hits a hell of a lot!

shortstacked

shortstacked

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KerouacsDog said:
Mine is QT when limping, my girlfriend's is 69, which hits a hell of a lot!

its like they say 69 is good in bed but sucks in a card game

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I obviously much prefer to see AA than JJ, but I've won some of my biggest pots with JJ :)

gord962

gord962

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played Doyle's hand from the BB for free last night. It was late in the tourney and I had a top 5 stack. I hit the 2 on the flop, some person went all-in for about 1.5 X the pot so I called. I hit the 10 on the river and won!

Lo-Dog

Lo-Dog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can you guess mine? It used to be lucky for me but I throw it away now. Time to change the signature lol

roundcat

roundcat

Creature of leisure
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I typically muck it, but I'm rather fond of Q-8.

T

tranqxility

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always get fired up when I look and see KK or AA in my hand. But I just won 2 straight Jackpot SnG's with JJ as my final hand... and actually had JJ 3 different times during the final heads up of the second win. So, for today it's JJ, heh.

Hands I actually love seeing, though, are small pocket pairs. The main reason is because the most I usually lose is the BB, but the most I can win is all of my opponents' chips.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I don't have any "lucky hands" that, as you say, "no other average poker player would play", because I think there's a reason the cards aren't considered playable. However, I've found that I have a lot of success with QQ, more than I even do with KK or AA. My win percentage with AA is probably higher, but I get sucked out and bad beaten with them so much that overall I'm sure I've made way more chips with QQ.

Last SnG I played, I got quite lucky. Early on I had QQ and raised pre-flop 8x BB (half this table was weird and full of calling stations, so I went over my usual 5x BB), and sure enough I got 3 callers. Great. But then the flop. Q 9 2 rainbow. Heck yeah. A guy goes all-in, and someone else calls. I somewhat confidently call, and see that the guy who went all-in had KK, and the other caller had Q9 offsuit (that's what you get for calling an 8x BB pre-flop raise with Q9 off, you jackass!). Ouch. I ended up tripling up in what could have been a catastrophe for me if the Q had been something lower and non-threatening since I'd have unknowingly been up against KK.

wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He said "The cards that no other average poker player would play."

whoopsy. . . my bad...but I think mostly everyone ignored that statement. I'm not going to admit I play bad cards often. lol ;)

Last edited:
F

Freakakanus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:9d4: :10d4:

Actually they don't have to be suited for me to play them.
I'll muck them to a big raise but a min-raise won't push me out of the pot if I have these.

poettic1

poettic1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like ACE QUEEN won me my first 1k in a tourney against 2 other players. ACES and KINGS felt like a champ and since then me and my buddies call It a nickname that i won't divulge.

but now i throw it in the muck often. never let myself get married.

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I used to play 95 as my hand, but I don't play it as much any more. I've kind of fallen for 10 7 lately.

D

Dingodaddy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is gonna sound bad... but if i can limp for cheap from late position, I call 3/5 suited every time.

LetsGetItOn

LetsGetItOn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:6s4: :4s4: , I'll play it in any form but I prefer it suited of spades.

HoldemChamp

HoldemChamp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a word. No.

I do not believe in anyone one sub par hand that is just your lucky hand. It's superstition. Superstition has no room in real poker.

F

Fish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like this thread.
It's easy to find the people who don't have Pokertracker.

Beriac

Beriac

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For what it's worth, Fish, according to Poker Tracker, "my Omaha hand" as defined above appears to be AT92 single-suited.

XXIII

XXIII

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No but I do have a 'The Hand' that has given me nothing but problems.

Pocket Aces!

I play at UB and whenever I play these, I lose.

Slow Play, overplay, all in, whatever. I always get beaten.

I can go all in AA and someone will call with 58 off. Flop will be 6 7 9.

Or my best shot was AK vs my AA. Flop will be 10 Q J.

Doesn't matter. I hate poker sometimes!

(Yeah I got beat 5 times tonight alone with AA)

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel your AA woes. My KK lost to Q2 earlier in an SnG... we were heads up and both virtually all-in, so it cost me the whole match. And against Q2, KK is actually slightly higher percent to win than AA, because the chance for the straight is better.

Come to think of it, I reeeeeeeally hate KK. Way more than I hate AA or QQ. I remember losing with it thrice in the same match the other day.

D

donvic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JeeDub84 said:
My hand that I love is 44. I usually play with caution like usuall, but it seems I hit trips more with 44 than any other pocketpair. It also seems as though it hits at more beneficial times than not. Like in the later parts of a tourny, if I am pushing to steal but get a caller with overcards or even occasionally when I get out of line. 44 isnt the greatest starting hand I know, but it can be so inconspicuos when you hit.

jeedub84,

interesting. may i ask where this

occures most for you. because sounds like

one of those titan, noble,cd etc.

trip 4 at these sites a lot.

donvic

J

jokkeman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I always call raises or raise myself with 86o in Heads-Up.
I've been outdrawing people with this hand in heads up tournaments for a long time. Always seems to hit a flop like 8,9,2 and somehow i manage to take down a big pot after my opponent desperately trying to buy it.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands