Do you add on?

Mr.Canada

Mr.Canada

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Theres 20 minutes till break, im in about 30th in a freeroll there should be around 250 people left. Im 4000 above the average chip stack at 7500. Should i add on 1000 chips for 2 dollars or just play. I don't usually add on but im getting some good flops and I should be able to money in this one. What do you guys think.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in a FR? i dont think i would. in something like a $5-$20 rebuy im prepared to rebuy at least once & add on if need be.

BKrywko1

BKrywko1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm going to assume this freeroll has money added on to the pool apart from rebuy fees. If this is the case, you might as well get 1000 chips more. Put it this way, if you don't get the add-on, you're giving up 13% of your chip stack to those who do add-on.

Unless you're a big chip leader during the add-on period, you're almost always going to rebuy.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Need to know the 'added' prizepool and number of entrants to give a certain answer, but I'm pretty sure adding on is the smart move.

There's a good thread about adding on where I ramble a bit more about it here.

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds like it would only be worth it if you had fewer chips than this. You'd only be adding 13% to your stack and most people will still have much less than you even if they buy they add-on and you don't.

Also depends on the prize money. How much further will you have to go into the money to compensate for the add-on cost? Will the extra chips take you further than that?

Plus your ROI goes from infinity to a finite amount.

F

Fish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a rebuy, if you don't add on you are just plain stu- errr, umm sill- errrr umm not the brigh---
Hmmm.
You are not using all of your brain cells if you don't addon to put it nicely.

As for in a freeroll, with a rebuy addon, The same would ring true if you wanted to give yourself the best chance to finish high.
It's up to you to figure out if finishing high in this is your goal.

Technically, the only time it's not worth your while to addon, is if you are chipleader, with a HUuuuuuge lead over second place (NOT THE AVERAGE), and it is a smaller field. And Even then, it could probably be successfully argued that it is STILL a mistake to not addon.

Mr.Canada

Mr.Canada

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It was 300 added prize pool so the total was 550 for the top 18. I ended up finishing 22 and I didnt add on. Maybe I should have lol.

Beriac

Beriac

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fish said:
In a rebuy, if you don't add on you are just plain stu- errr, umm sill- errrr umm not the brigh---
Hmmm.
You are not using all of your brain cells if you don't addon to put it nicely.

As for in a freeroll, with a rebuy addon, The same would ring true if you wanted to give yourself the best chance to finish high.
It's up to you to figure out if finishing high in this is your goal.

Technically, the only time it's not worth your while to addon, is if you are chipleader, with a HUuuuuuge lead over second place (NOT THE AVERAGE), and it is a smaller field. And Even then, it could probably be successfully argued that it is STILL a mistake to not addon.

I agree that it's often a good idea to add-on, especially with added prize money or a guaranteed prize pool that hasn't been met yet by the entry fees, but what's your logic for the add-on to be a no-brainer in all but the rarest of situations?

Not disagreeing with you, just haven't thought about it before and curious about your logic.

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Beriac said:
I agree that it's often a good idea to add-on, especially with added prize money or a guaranteed prize pool that hasn't been met yet by the entry fees, but what's your logic for the add-on to be a no-brainer in all but the rarest of situations?

Not disagreeing with you, just haven't thought about it before and curious about your logic.
I'll give my opinion on this, since I agree with Fish on this topic. :) Why would you not give yourself every possible edge against your opponents? As long as it's in your bankroll perameter (which, if it isn't, you're probably playing beyond your means...although this scenario is a freeroll, but I digress...;)), in my opinion, if you're in a re-buy, you should already have it set that you are going to add-on at the break.

If I'm playing a re-buy, I allow myself enough for one re-buy and the add-on.

F

Fish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
juiceeQ said:
If I'm playing a re-buy, I allow myself enough for SEVEN re-buys and the add-on.
I fixed your post.

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mr.Canada said:
Should I add on 1000 chips for 2 dollars or just play?

For only $2.00? Of course, rebuy. No brainer.

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not convinced that add-ons are worth it in terms of ROI if you have a big stack, or that it's really a debate that can be won by argument alone.

Certainly the add-on will give you some advantage in your expected finishing position, but the value of this will decline the bigger your stack is. You might get a little bit further, but the further you get, the less value in comparison to the blinds these chips will have. There's a LOT of variation in where in the money players finish compared to the stack order in the early/middle stages. You'd have to look at a whole load of statistics to see how much influence an extra buy-in has on your expected return - I don't think it's at all obvious that the increase in expected return will be greater than the cost of the add-on.

Another of my theories ;): on average, if everyone adds on, it's got to be neutral in terms of expected returns, because the add-ins will increase the prize pool. And if it's positive for the small stacks, that means it has to be negative for the big stacks.

F

Fish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I definitely (sp?) do not have the track record of say I don't know,
Greg Raymer, but if you poke around on 2+2, he has a few nice posts about when and why to addon.
My advice, is basically what he said (so technically it's his advice), and I am going to have to agree with the wsop Champ.

If I ever post some advice that is wrong (and chances are pretty good that more than half the things I post are/will be wrong---or else I would be playing for a living), and a top Pro contradicts my advice, I will have to admit that I am wrong and they are right.

In this case, I'm going to stick with Raymer's advice, ALWAYS add-on.

Beriac

Beriac

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it's good enough for Fossilman, it's good enough for me.

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Harrington says "If you're a better than average player and your chip stack is not too large, rebuys and add-ons are generally a good deal...".
(HoH Volume 1, p. 59)

This clearly implies that an add-on is a waste of money if you have a big stack.

I think Harrington's a lot better player than Raymer btw!

H8POKER

H8POKER

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
do it there is mothing wrong with having more chips. Use it to your advantage.

M

ma77th3gr34t

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
That is something i have asked myself many times. My best advice is to look at where you are in realation to all the players 10 above and below you. If they ll add on the you lose so many places however if the players above you do not and you do then you move up those places. I have only not dded on once in a rebuy and that was because i was leader by 20K. Made a horrible cll and so did 5 others at the table and my top pair runner runnered nut flush. Top 3 players involved in the hand and made me huge leader and i did win the tourney even though i enter the final table the short stack.

M

mariusgr

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes i make re-buy before the firts break , but never add on...because after 1 hour BB is already big. let say that BB is 200... do you rebuy or add-on 1000?