A discussion of post-flop play. Post a hand of yours.

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In another thread titled "Button Raising, I talked about post-flop play a bit. It inspired me to start a thread where post-flop play can be posted, and analyzed by fellow forum members.

Here is a hand I played live (cash) $1/$2 blinds $50-$200 buy in:
Vallain - loose passive, and previously drew me out holding 8-4 of hearts for a flush, and he did not get there cheap.

Chips: I have around $425, villain has slightly less (maybe $30 less than me).

Villain raises preflop UTG to $20. I am sitting 2 spots left of villain. UTG +1 calls. I look down at J-J. I decide to call, because I am already smelling a big pair, and I don't want to open the door for a re-raise. All others fold. I am last to act post flop.

Flop: J-4-Q with 2 spades. I do have the jack of spades.

Villain opens for $40. UTG + 1 folds.
I was expecting a bet, and had already thought of my reaction. I knew my opponent held a hand he liked, and I could get a call with a raise here. I thought villain would call a big raise.

I raise to $140. For two reasons. For one, I think I will get called. And two, I can see his reaction to my raise.

Villain is visibly rattled by the raise. However, he calls somewhat quickly. This confirms to me he holds A-A or K-K.

Turn: 6 of spades, making flush possible.

Villain checks. I shove for around $280.
Villain now starts talking to me. "I think I know what you have, but I don't know if I can let this hand go."
Please please call I am thinking.
"Do you have Q-J? Queens, jacks?" call call oh please call I think. "I just can't let this hand go, I call."

River: Another 6, giving me jacks full.

He sits a little higher, because if his read was right, and I held Q-J, he just counterfeited me. I flipped my jacks over, and he showed kings, and then mucked 'em.

I was hoping for some input on this, as it is a good example of how I play strong hands against loose players (which is pretty much a standard at the live poker room).

I would like to see other members' post flop play as well. Thanks for reading if you made it this far.

Last edited:
N

nidal55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
as u can see my friend u wont get answers around.ull see brags ull see people that claim they know everything but noone will share any real secret with you, ullbe friendly but theyll be arrogant .the raise on the flop was obligatory cause the board can get dangerous and this could kill your action and loose profit. the all in within the pot size is nice too because looks bluffy or like youre after sthng.nice read on ur opponent.
Last session i called utg with aa got raised from btn reraised got called and lost a good chunk of my stack(folded river) by a 92o!yes 9 on the flop 9 on the turn and 2 on the river! but i was prepared for my insane opponent.so,be prepared!

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So raise to 10X then two OOP calls are standard in this game....yum yum.

I mean he played horrible bloated the pot with a pair OOP...and got stacked.

Not much else to talk about...except how you play a 993 flop..and how much are you going to lose on board textures like that without reraising here.

C

credsfan03

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That was a nice hand but you have to be carefull when you shove because most of the time he will only call if he has a flush or MAYBE an overpair. A lot of people fold an overpair when somebody is representing a flush so strongly.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So raise to 10X then two OOP calls are standard in this game....yum yum.

I mean he played horrible bloated the pot with a pair OOP...and got stacked.

Not much else to talk about...except how you play a 993 flop..and how much are you going to lose on board textures like that without reraising here.

seems a pretty easy float flop/fold turn texture

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
as u can see my friend u wont get answers around.ull see brags ull see people that claim they know everything but noone will share any real secret with you, ullbe friendly but theyll be arrogant .the raise on the flop was obligatory cause the board can get dangerous and this could kill your action and loose profit. the all in within the pot size is nice too because looks bluffy or like youre after sthng.nice read on ur opponent.
Last session I called utg with aa got raised from btn reraised got called and lost a good chunk of my stack(folded river) by a 92o!yes 9 on the flop 9 on the turn and 2 on the river! but i was prepared for my insane opponent.so,be prepared!

You have simply described yourself.

As for OP, I think this hand was played very well. I liked the flat pre.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hand is played fine, no reason you cant just bet smaller on turn and put it all in on river tho

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands