Dear Stoxpoker Members

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Please convince me to join.

(sorry if this is considered spam, but I legitimately want to know about it and as I'm not even a member it's hardly advertising on my part)

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know nothing of Stoxpoker in particular, Zach, but I am very dubious about these coaching sites generally.

If they know wonderful techniques that aren`t to be found in the books and magazines on my bookshelf (or on CC for that matter), how come they are not out there making millions at the high-stakes tables ? Why would they instead waste their time trying to get a paltry few dollars from you and me ?

Smells of fish, IMO.

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^less variance, steady income

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know nothing of Stoxpoker in particular, Zach, but I am very dubious about these coaching sites generally.

If they know wonderful techniques that aren`t to be found in the books and magazines on my bookshelf (or on CC for that matter), how come they are not out there making millions at the high-stakes tables ? Why would they instead waste their time trying to get a paltry few dollars from you and me ?

Smells of fish, IMO.

Well if you look at who the coaches are, they ARE out there making millions at the high-stakes tables.

Gallo

Gallo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why not download some of the sample videos and see if you learn anything new from them?

icemonkey9

icemonkey9

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I looked into it ... but considering my bankroll and that I play 25nl and will be playing 50nl around the end of July , it didn't seem to make sense financially.

Also, I found very little in the way of FR cash game videos and TONS of the 6-man variety ... it seems these hotshots only play 6-max. I also have not been impressed with their bandwidth as their sample videos sometimes take FOREVER to load up.

Sorry its not an endorsement. Just what I saw when I looked into it also.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Smells of fish, IMO.

There isn't really a lot in the coaching sites that can't be found in literature.

The difference lies in the presentation. The majority of people find it many times easier to learn when there's a replay of a tourney or cash session laid out in front of them which is being commented on than by looking at a lot of words on paper.

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I signed up Via Chucks link, and I think the videos are excellent tbh. I certainly will be signing up for another 6months when my current subscription expires.

B

bw07507

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive been considering joining for awhile now, but, tbh I am pretty much crushing 25NL 6max on my own right now and I dont really see the need to spend 100+ on a membership there. If I ever make the move full time to 50NL I might consider it since I dont seem to do nearly as well at that limit.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I signed up Via Chucks link, and I think the videos are excellent tbh. I certainly will be signing up for another 6months when my current subscription expires.

1. what link?
2. Mentioned above was 6max vs. FR. I know you play 6max, is that the emphasis or is there still plenty of FR material?

Oh and Chuck's replying now, so I'm sure he's got some good insight about it.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

(sorry if this is considered spam, but I legitimately want to know about it and as I'm not even a member it's hardly advertising on my part)

The ~$25 you pay monthly is a STEAL. yeah, looking at the hundreds you spend over a year or whatever looks expensive, but you're essentially getting coached by the biggest winners online.

I hate to spam other sites, but stox has easily been the biggest catalyst to my improvement and I can't say enough about it. I was actually going to contact nick about making some kind of partnership with them like 2p2 has, but I just don't see how a smaller site like us can do it successfully.

They're kind of like the cardschat of coaching sites - the coaches are all great people, and will even give you personal advice if you PM them. A lot of the members who post regularly in the forums are mid-high limit players who are also great and happy to give advice. It's like 2+2 without the assholes.

I could go on, but trust me when I say it's worth it. Especially for someone like you who's moving on to the low and mid limits.

fwiw CC has been a lot more active lately, and although you won't find the experience here, I'd say if you're tight on money, don't worry about stox. Anyways I'm like %99 satisfied with stox. I was actually planning on writing a review on the blog, so maybe this would be a good time.

Smells of fish, IMO.

They do make millions.

2007 In review: Stoxpoker Cash Game Coaches Up Over $5M! | stoxpoker.com | Collection of poker blogs and poker strategy from online poker pros

Them posting videos is like the equivalent of us posting advice and videos here. I don't think they get paid enough for it to be significant for them - it's like the equivalent of the money we get paid here (nothing :)), but the discussion and the videos help both their game and the games of others, so they do it.

This site isn't some scam. Like I said, I call it the CC of coaching sites. Definitely look into it if you're looking to improve your game and can afford the modest monthly fee. Just don't ditch cardschat for it :)

Oh, use my referral too ;)

D

Dayne G.

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Chuck NAILED IT!

You'll love it! Have to join!

Nick, Bryce, Leatherass are phenom!

Dounutz just joined, which gives you different-style type limit game (very aggro., but huge winner).

I

IrishRope

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I love reading the stoxpoker blogs of Leaterass he is one of the best in my opinion. Much the same as CC very helpful and friendly people. I don't have a membership yet as I'm a micro stake grinder but I will someday.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's deals that they email about where if you make a deposit at various sites they give you membership (after a certain number of points) as well.

For someone like you, Zach, I'd think it'd be great. I don't play enough atm to think that it's worthwhile for me right now.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I'd say considering bankroll sizes etc it'd probably only be worthwhile once you reach 50nl or mayyybe 25nl if you got extra change.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, Chuck, you obviously know more about them than I do. As I said in my initial comment, I know nothing about Stoxpoker.

My comments were more about coaching sites in general. There is one which has somehow got hold of my email and keeps sending me invitations to join. The sample "lesson" they sent me was simplistic content poorly presented. I could have created better myself and so could you, I am sure.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well it's better to be safe than sorry - you have every right to doubt something that charges money and spawned from the internets :)

There are definitely lower-grade sites out there that are trying to leech onto the coaching industry. I think the legit sites out there are stox, cardrunners, deucescracked, leggo...I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting, but a lot of them are legit just like stox. Definitely look into the site before dropping money on a subscription.

Stox offers some free full videos (as mentioned in blog, just look at the bottom of their home page), and the first three minutes of every video are free as a sample. So try before you buy.

Tygran

Tygran

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been spending a ton of time on stox over the past month and the videos for some reason are just easier to absorb than the books. I'm almost back up to $50 NL again.

I've honestly been spending about 2/3 of my poker time studying and about 1/3 of it playing lately...

I highly recommend stox!

On another note...just paying the cost of membership doesn't instantly make you better, be prepared to spend a pretty large amount of time watching videos and taking notes, but the tools it offers are worthwhile.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fyi stox himself dropped by my blog and gave a reply to my review. Check the comments under the review vvvv

S

stoxtrader

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

Smells of fish, IMO.

I just found this site, so forgive my tardy entry here. I am one of the lead instructors at stoxpoker.

The short answer to your question is we ARE out there making millions - our top 4 lead instructors made approx 5.5MM in 2007.

We are not "wasting our time" on stoxpoker. We enjoy interacting with the members there and the site has grown quite large.

good luck,
stox.

S

stoxtrader

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well it's better to be safe than sorry - you have every right to doubt something that charges money and spawned from the internets :)

There are definitely lower-grade sites out there that are trying to leech onto the coaching industry. I think the legit sites out there are stox, cardrunners, deucescracked, leggo...I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting, but a lot of them are legit just like stox. Definitely look into the site before dropping money on a subscription.

Stox offers some free full videos (as mentioned in blog, just look at the bottom of their home page), and the first three minutes of every video are free as a sample. So try before you buy.

the free videos on our landing age are much lower quality than anything else because of the way the page is written (technical quality not content wise). We plan on fixing this but it will be AFTER our current site rewrite.