Cardschat Interviews - Online US Poker Players Who Have Re-located

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We have had several threads in the forum asking if any of us in the US have re-located to play online poker. Most of us here are casual, recreational or part time poker players. But we have still been deeply affected by the events that occurred on Black Friday. Some Cardschat members depended on the extra income for college, paying some extra bills etc.

Many of us also have friends who did play poker for a living - and depended on it for their income. There are many US players who have now re-located to other countries so they can continue to play poker online.

We have done exclusive interviews with 7 of them (and may have more in the future). We thought you would be interested to know where some of them have re-located to, how they feel about it and how they have adjusted to their new homes.

You may have heard of some of them and others may be new names to you. But they are all professional poker players and derive the majority - if not all - of their income from playing poker. Hope you enjoy the interviews!

Our first interview was with Chris Moneymaker. We have talked to him in the forum about other things - this interview was specifically about his re-location. It can be found here:

Chris Moneymaker Interview

Katie Stone Interview

Cy Watson Interview

Ryan Laplante Interview

Katie Dozier Interview

Ryan Hughes Interview

Jonathan Little Interview

Thanks to Jennifer Newell for doing a great job with the interviews!

Last edited:
A

Atomix

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello Dakota,

I am new to NLHM. I look forward to reading your interviews. I started playing on-line in December on Club Wpt. Things have gone well, nearly quadrupling my starting tournament points since. Yesterday seemed a good idea to start playing for real $.

Last edited by a moderator:
psychotie

psychotie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the nice read.
Chris Moneymaker is one of the players that brought me to poker.
Looking forward for the other interviews

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the nice read.
Chris Moneymaker is one of the players that brought me to poker.
Looking forward for the other interviews

Thanks - will get some more posted soon!

Enzo1089

Enzo1089

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, thanks dakota - this is really cool. I read both interviews and I plan on reading the one from Katie Stone eventually, but being that it's like 3AM at the moment I think I'll hold off :p

I think it is truly amazing though that Chris Moneymaker set up a house in canada for almost the practically sole purpose of going to play online poker at pokerstars in it. It's always good to see stuff from him though, because he is an inspiration to all young poker players (including myself).

Just out of curiosity, who else are you going to post interviews with? And thank you for the good read(s).

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Glad you like it - I think you will like Katie's too. I find all of these stories very interesting.

I will be posting interviews with Cy Watson, Jonathan Little, Katie Dozier, Ryan Hughes and Ryan Laplonte.

We may end up with a few others too.

R

resimandala

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hello

liked!

Last edited by a moderator:
R

resimandala

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hello as I walk back and wanted to know if you can change the language of the page Regards

GOIVIT

GOIVIT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks Dakota, great reads and I look forward to the others. :icon_thum

jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From the article it seems that CM is averaging around 140 K per year. How would that compare with the other Americans who have moved out?

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From the article it seems that CM is averaging around 140 K per year. How would that compare with the other Americans who have moved out?

That is a great question - not sure how we could get the answer though.

Enzo1089

Enzo1089

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Glad you like it - I think you will like Katie's too. I find all of these stories very interesting.

I will be posting interviews with Cy Watson, Jonathan Little, Katie Dozier, Ryan Hughes and Ryan Laplonte.

We may end up with a few others too.

Sweet. I know of Jonathan Little, Ryan Hughes, and Katie Dozier. I just read the one for Katie Stone, and also read the one for Cy.

Katie's was really cool. I'm kind of surprised though at her opinion of online poker's possible return to the States. When was this interview done? If it was quite awhile ago, I can understand...and it also makes me wonder if her opinion of the enticement of the return being not enough has changed since then. Either than, or maybe she is in Dublin :p

With Cy's interview, I'm starting to see a bit of a trend toward this Rosarita place in mexico. Another thing I noticed is the lack of mentioning online poker clients that are legal to US players. Bovada, Carbon, BCP, Americas Cardroom...etc. Again it makes me kind of curious as to when these interviews were conducted.

Anyway, again another couple of great posts dakota!! I look forward to the interviews with Dozier, Hughes and Little. And regardless of the fact that I don't know who he is, I also look forward to the interview with Laplonte. :D

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
These interviews were all conducted within the past few weeks.

Also - you guys feel free to comment in the individual interview threads.

I will post at least 1 more today.

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Do poker players who are US citizens and play poker in Canada have to pay income tax in both the US and Canada?

I've heard that the IRS allows an earned foreign income exemption from US taxes for something like the first $75,000 or so, but from what I understand earned income doesn't include passive income from investments or things like that, it has to be from a job.

Great interviews, I find these really interesting.

dudemanstan

dudemanstan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Awesome. Thanks, I am reading now before my tournament starts.

ckickenking

ckickenking

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks, I really enjoy the Katie Dozier interview. Can we get one of her husband too?

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks, I really enjoy the Katie Dozier interview. Can we get one of her husband too?

We were going to interview them as a couple but I guess Collin wasn't around. We do have an old interview with him that I did which is how I met them. We are now very close friends. I will try to find it.

ckingriches

ckingriches

Lucky Multiple League MVP
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've really enjoyed reading all of these....

Another time ... another life... sigh