Cardrunners hacked

S

Sohmurr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I haven't seen anyone else post on this yet. I got this email about 10:40pm tonight.

"Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,

Last night we identified and stopped an illegal intrusion of the CardRunners servers.

While no customer credit card or financial information was compromised, we have confirmed that the following customer information related to your account may have been compromised:

Email Address
Encrypted Password
IP Address

Out of an abundance of caution, we have forced your password to be reset. If you use your CardRunners username or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we recommend that you change them as well.

Your new password is: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

CardRunners will never contact you in any way asking for any personally identifiable information so please be vigilant in not providing such information to anyone that represents themselves as working for CardRunners.

We regret any inconvenience this causes and want to ensure you that we will continue to work to ensure that additional measures are taken to protect your private information.

Regards,
CardRunners Support"

Kind of surprised. Why would someone target Cardrunners? Only 2 real reasons I can think of. One is people might use the password to hack into poker sites (assuming you use the same pw and SN for both) and drain funds (although I imagine that to be unsuccessful given anyone with significant funds would likely check the balance often, not to mention it might raise flags on the site itself).

The second would be for the credit information. It's not that big a service either. If they just wanted the credit information they supposedly failed to get, CR is a relatively small time service. Much better targets (well, larger anyway). But then again, if they broke in and got your encrypted pw, then I imagine Cardrunners security wasn't that great. But I also don't know much about programming/hacking.

Despite they supposedly didn't get credit information, it's kind of ironic. I never actually had a paid subscription. I just made a free account and never upgraded. :p

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Got the same email. I never gave any CC info either.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lmao, apparently I have three CR accounts, I just got two more emails.

M

MIGO14

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry to ask this: What service / site is Cardrunners ?

F

FITEMAN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I got the same message. I wasnt too sure of its validity so I was just going to ignore it. But being as I use the same password on some other sites, I guess I have to take some action. What a pain in the ass, I'll never figure out what makes these damn hackers tick.
FITEMAN

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I received that same email as well, at the same time as you did. Didn't even know I had an account on there (I might...??).
I use a separate email address for poker forums & pretty much everything related to poker (except for pokersites which also have a separate email address). Lately (since BlackFriday) I've been getting just a TON more of those BS emails/scams (ie. neteller, you've won X$'s, etc. etc.). It is annoying.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Kind of surprised. Why would someone target Cardrunners? Only 2 real reasons I can think of. One is people might use the password to hack into poker sites (assuming you use the same password and SN for both) and drain funds (although I imagine that to be unsuccessful given anyone with significant funds would likely check the balance often, not to mention it might raise flags on the site itself).

The second would be for the credit information. It's not that big a service either. If they just wanted the credit information they supposedly failed to get, CR is a relatively small time service. Much better targets (well, larger anyway). But then again, if they broke in and got your encrypted password, then I imagine Cardrunners security wasn't that great. But I also don't know much about programming/hacking.

Despite they supposedly didn't get credit information, it's kind of ironic. I never actually had a paid subscription. I just made a free account and never upgraded. :p

There is a third reason and I think the motive was the third reason.

To get your email address and spam you with gambling related junk mail.

Check your junk mail folder since yesterday... any increase in gambling related spam? Mine had about 40 gambling related junk messages today, usually there are only one or two.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is a third reason and I think the motive was the third reason.

To get your email address and spam you with gambling related junk mail.

Check your junk mail folder since yesterday... any increase in gambling related spam? Mine had about 40 gambling related junk messages today, usually there are only one or two.

From "Gambler xxx xxxx"? Suddenly I've got a whole whack of these in my spam.

mrmonkey

mrmonkey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From "Gambler xxx xxxx"? Suddenly I've got a whole whack of these in my spam.

I'm getting these too but I don't have a cardrunners account.

I think either one of the other poker sites were compromised or someone sold out our information.

Ballack

Ballack

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also got the same message. Why are they hacking those sites? I can't understand.
In the news you only hear s.th. about hackers and now that ;-(

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'm getting these too but I don't have a cardrunners account.

someone sold out our information.
I'm guessing this ^
Since Black Friday, instead of getting 1 or 2 of them every other day I began getting more of them & then just a few days ago I was bombarded with them. I couldn't even tell you how much in total they've told me I've won!!!! lol... easily in the tens of thousands I'm guessing.

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stu is on the right track here. Further, if hackers see user names similar to email addresses, they will try many other sites, like paypal - as people tend to stick with limited/same user names and passwords.

B

buster999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your password for johndoe@yahoo.com is xoxo. Then don't use this same password for every where else you sign up using this email. i used to use the same password and email to log in every where untill i received the same message from card runners when signing up. One of these websites that knew my log in info could have so easily accessed other accounts of mine.

P

playdog90

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Who is a xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx?

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I just got a similiar email from PTR.
Since BlackFriday I guess there's a bunch of puter-donks who are looking for new games to play online. I've never had so many junk mails before.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just got a similiar email from PTR.
Since BlackFriday I guess there's a bunch of puter-donks who are looking for new games to play online. I've never had so many junk mails before.

Same here... we are under attack!

BTW Don't open any phishy emails ever...

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stu is on the right track here. Further, if hackers see user names similar to email addresses, they will try many other sites, like Paypal - as people tend to stick with limited/same user names and passwords.

Txs for the reminder.. Time to switch things up!!