Calling members of CC for SNG help!

C

custo80

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't figure out whats going on and it's doing my head in.

Background: I play 4 SnG's @ stars at the same time. The absolute minimum goal or worst case scenario is: 2 losses, 1 3rd finish and 1 2nd finish. Regardless of the buy-in this method guarantees a profit, not the biggest profit but a profit none the less.

I don't play a SnG unless I have a minimum of 54 buy-ins for that game.

With my current BR, I can afford to play the 9 people $6.50 @ stars. Prior to this I was playing the 10 people $3.40.

Below you will see to graphs. The first graph are my results of my $3.40 games and secondly the $6.50.

My question, amongst my frustration, why the hell are these results so different. Surely the competition cant be that different from a $3 game to a $6 game? Or am I wrong?

I approach and play the $3 and $6 game exactly the same way which is a rather textbook way but it seems to work, at least at the $3 game anyway.

CC members, should I be playing the $6 any different to the $3 game, or should I treat the $6 with more respect and only play 1 at a time which will means I pay more attention to betting patters and not playing the cards only.

As always, your feedback and opinions are all welcomed and appreciated.

Regards
Custo

Attachments

• stars$3.GIF
    stars$3.GIF
    4.5 KB · Views: 8
  • stars$6.GIF
    stars$6.GIF
    4.9 KB · Views: 8
DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Try playing one at a time for a while until you get a "feel" for them.

I've recently moved from $5 to $10. The biggest diffference I've seen is a lot less aggromorons but far more tight/weak players.

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Variance!

Also why 54 buy ins, why not 50?

Plus, I think that may be a little too conservative at that level tbh, and I'm a BR nit.

We can only give guidance based on your stats tbh, Supply some vpip, pfr, af wtsd etc etc, then we can see if there are any leaks in your game.

H

Holmstaedt

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Unless u are a woman... Don't play more than 2 at a time... You need 2 know the styles of our opponents...

4myself "multitasking is a foreign languange...

G'luck with ur bankroll

Holmstaedt

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Varinace as Jaq says, though I started out as a SnG player and it was noticeable that over time a winning game could change in subtle ways that were hard to spot but had a big impact overall.

Perhaps review your basic strategy from the ground up and see if there's anything you are doing that's changed?

C

custo80

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Variance!

Also why 54 buy ins, why not 50?

Plus, I think that may be a little too conservative at that level tbh, and I'm a BR nit.

We can only give guidance based on your stats tbh, Supply some vpip, pfr, af wtsd etc etc, then we can see if there are any leaks in your game.

If I play 4 games and lose, which can and does unfortunately happen I'll never drop below 50.

I'm some what afraid to admit this but I am not a poker tracker user atm. I had then demo version and it all goes right over my head. If strongly convinced in this thread that poker tracker WILL improve my game, i think I'll be purchasing it this weekend. I just may ask in advance if someone can give me a beginners tour through Poker Tracker, as I couldn't make heads or tails of it

S

StevenMick12

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow nice profit Custo how long did it take you to get that much money on there??

N

nutzzcase

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why don't u try cash games?? i think u've got a bankroll to play 10nl
and it's easier to make money ......

C

custo80

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why don't u try cash games?? i think u've got a bankroll to play 10nl
and it's easier to make money ......

Believe me, I've tried cash games, and my success is greater in SnG's.

I should also add that I have separate BR dependent on the game I play. EG. My SnG BR allows $6 games but my cash game BR is currently allowing for 2NL.

I have 3 separate BR's
1 for Cash games
1 for SnG's
1 for MTT's

If I dominate at one form of poker it doesnt mean i will at another hence if I jump from 2NL upto 50NL from SnG Success I have a large risk of losing a fair amount as my cash game play is currently not that strong.

Last edited:
PokerDave

PokerDave

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can beat the $3 SnG multi tabling like clockwork, but you should try playing just 1 table at $6 until you get the feel of how they play, and see if your profits start to improve. Then you can gradually move up to 2,3 and 4 tables. I had that problem when I used to play 1$ SnG's on Full Tilt and then I jumped up, because the competition was so extremely weak at the 1$ tables, I just thought I could jump right in at the higher stakes. But now I'm a winning player because I single tabled to get a feel.

B

bw07507

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, I used to play a lot of S&Gs (Turbo and Regular). You are probably on the wrong side of variance right now and it is causing u to play slightly worse than your regular play. Variance in Turbo S&Gs is so high, 100 game streaks where u are breakeven/negative profit is fairly typical. Also, if you are 4-tabling, please invest in PT or HEM, it will seriously improve your game so much.

C

custo80

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, I used to play a lot of S&Gs (Turbo and Regular). You are probably on the wrong side of variance right now and it is causing u to play slightly worse than your regular play. Variance in Turbo S&Gs is so high, 100 game streaks where u are breakeven/negative profit is fairly typical. Also, if you are 4-tabling, please invest in Poker Tracker or HEM, it will seriously improve your game so much.

I was under the impression the poker tracker was more for cash players only and had no real benefit for SnGs or Mtt's, is this incorrect?

roundcat

roundcat

Creature of leisure
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have you thought about playing two $3 and two $6 SNGs concurrently to see if you feel a difference and see different results in the same session at different buy-ins?

roundcat

roundcat

Creature of leisure
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was under the impression the poker tracker was more for cash players only and had no real benefit for SnGs or Mtt's, is this incorrect?

Yes, that's incorrect -- it can help with SNGs and MTTs too. You just have to import your tournament results as they don't show up automatically (Poker Tracker automatically tracks the hands but not the results, until you import them). The critical part is going back over the hands you play, especially questionable ones or those that significantly impacted your tournament, and seeing what you could have done differently/better.

C

custo80

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have you thought about playing two $3 and two $6 SNGs concurrently to see if you feel a difference and see different results in the same session at different buy-ins?

That's actually a good idea, thanks roundcat. Can't believe I never thought of it, lol. tyvm

B

bw07507

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, that's incorrect -- it can help with SNGs and MTTs too. You just have to import your tournament results as they don't show up automatically (Poker Tracker automatically tracks the hands but not the results, until you import them). The critical part is going back over the hands you play, especially questionable ones or those that significantly impacted your tournament, and seeing what you could have done differently/better.

This, and you get a HUD so its easier to tell who the Maniacs/Fish/Rocks are at each of your tables. Playing 4 it would be impossible to get a read on everyone at your tables.

P

paumarhas

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i don't understand what different does the $$, make as long as its' within your BR limits. and if your playing the same you would think you'd get the same results. you can't be playing the same if you recognized a difference in how your opp plays, you must be playing different as a result to adjust to the different opp/types style. it has to be. sng's are a simulation to a final table, no? maybe at the higher $$, they're more abt to play as ifthey're actually already there as a practice run and playing for all the marbles?? (they already got mine:eek: :D ) well i tried, hope you find your answers. and gl on the felt. ;)

C

custo80

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On their main website the price is coming up as $89.99 is that correct? I though it was around $50

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel no diffrence from the 3$ to the 6$ so maby its just varience.

Maby try drop back to the 3$ ones and play 6-8 tables?
that should provied the same profit as playing 4 6$.

Another possiblity maby its in your head? Sounds kinda strange saying that about 6$ buy-in but any chance your playing more scared money in the 6$?

K

kazor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What HUD are people using for their SNG's? Solid poker always wins out, I would play 2 lower limit and 2 higher limit at once like someone had said. See how that goes for awhile.

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My question, amongst my frustration, why the hell are these results so different. Surely the competition cant be that different from a $3 game to a $6 game? Or am I wrong?

In the absence of any stats then you need to make sure your following a decent SnG strategy. I have no idea if your following that or not. Only you know that.

Are you LAG, TAG, loose passive, nitty. The only way to find leaks in your game is for you to explain how you play a sng, or even show some HH's.

C

custo80

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel no diffrence from the 3$ to the 6$ so maby its just varience.

Maby try drop back to the 3$ ones and play 6-8 tables?
that should provied the same profit as playing 4 6$.

Another possiblity maby its in your head? Sounds kinda strange saying that about 6$ buy-in but any chance your playing more scared money in the 6$?

I agreed 100% $3 & $6 are still micros so the play/competition should be the same imo.

Playing scared? Afraid to admit but that is most likely true. The next step is how do I overcome that?

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I
Playing scared? Afraid to admit but that is most likely true. The next step is how do I overcome that?

Well there are a some poker books that focus on the phycolgycal aspect of the game,if heard that Zen and poker is good but never read it.
I just ordered The Poker Mindset and i will let u know if its any good when i start reading it.

One thing that might might be worth a try is not checking your BR status,you know your rolled for the 6$ so just play and not check your status at the end/start of the day(obvs. whanna do that if u hit like 60 non cash streak but u know what i mean).
That way you can focus on playing good poker with out having to worry about geting back over 400$ or the fact your allmost down to 200$, and chasing loses ect.