Calling with a hand on the board.

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm curious about the general feeling here. Say there's a K high flush on the board and you don't figure villain for an Ace or there's 5 clubs on board but you don't think they have one, is it ever a good idea to call say a shove for split pot. It's a rare occurrence but I'm curious on the general feeling on this issue.

jh1spartanfan

jh1spartanfan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Flush defiantly not, a straight, or full house I might depending on the situation. Also, if it's cash then no as well, because your going to lose money to the rake on a split and you have no chance to win the hand.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Generally unless the pot is big in relation to the bet it's going to be a losing play to call for a split pot. The thing is though that people do it ALL the time so if you have Ac on a 5 club K high board you should always shove no matter how big of an overbet it is because you will get called often enough to make it very profitable.

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They rake split pots? And I get irritated with AA v AA in a tourney! I'm starting to realise how much I suck at cash, played some .02/.05 & lost like 4BIs in an hour. Probably (partly) due to my lack of knowledge on things like this. Sucks because I'd love to be able to turn a profit on cash since my MTT day sessions will be over when I start a full time job end of the month.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands