Big sites vs Small sites

C00T

C00T

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was just wondering after seeing a few post about this site or that site being softer. These few posts seemed to think that the smaller sites were softer. Is that so? Seems to me that the bigger sites would be softer since they would have more fish.

R

rugby0

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you can find fish anywhere. The larger sites have more tables to find them at however.

S

skyin452

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In relation to your skill level, yes you can find fish at all the sites. Now that does'nt mean that there isn't high level players waitin' for ya anywhere!!!!

S

skyin452

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At any stakes-at any time-so don't get fooled!!!!

S

skyin452

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just remember that the high level players(and I don't mean high stakes) want to make you think they're the fish-till it's too late!!!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'd be interested to hear -> how many different sites do the members here that are responding, actually play on? And at what varying buyin levels.. & what types of games??

YES FOR SURE there is a BIG difference between sites (don't let anyone tell you otherwise). ie. a site I've been playing on lately (MTT's $10-$33 buyin) has much different play compared to what I'm used to (Fulltilt, pokerstars & Titan). The play is far less aggressive & there is a much higher % of weak players.
I think in the super micros for sure you're going to find very fishy players on pretty much all the sites (although even here again, on say 2nl & 5nl tables on Stars & FTP you will quite a few more micro grinders compared with say Merge (carbon) or Pacific, etc. I know there's a huge diff. as I've dicked around on super micro tables a bit for fun/recreation & on Stars/FTP I prob only run at ~8bb/100 but on a small site right now I'm easily running at 100+bb/100 (maybe even much higher to be honest.. & this is based on approx. 10,000 hands... while 8-10tabling them).

So, YES for sure there is a big difference.. 'but'.. it depends upon what you're playing (another eg. micro SNG on Carbon vs. micro SNG FTP.. 'HUGE' difference!!!). Other sites I've heard are very soft are 'bodog', & UB (micro cash play & micro SNG). Also, any site that has sportsbetting on it will have soft poker tables.

nitulbhatia

nitulbhatia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it really depends where the fish are, it is a general thing about players, the bigger sites surely have much better traffic, ive found it difficult to find limit games on the smaller sites.

C00T

C00T

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd be interested to hear -> how many different sites do the members here that are responding, actually play on? And at what varying buyin levels.. & what types of games??

YES FOR SURE there is a BIG difference between sites (don't let anyone tell you otherwise). ie. a site I've been playing on lately (MTT's $10-$33 buyin) has much different play compared to what I'm used to (Fulltilt, PokerStars & Titan). The play is far less aggressive & there is a much higher % of weak players.
I think in the super micros for sure you're going to find very fishy players on pretty much all the sites (although even here again, on say 2nl & 5nl tables on Stars & FTP you will quite a few more micro grinders compared with say Merge (carbon) or Pacific, etc. I know there's a huge diff. as I've dicked around on super micro tables a bit for fun/recreation & on Stars/FTP I prob only run at ~8bb/100 but on a small site right now I'm easily running at 100+bb/100 (maybe even much higher to be honest.. & this is based on approx. 10,000 hands... while 8-10tabling them).

So, YES for sure there is a big difference.. 'but'.. it depends upon what you're playing (another eg. micro SNG on Carbon vs. micro SNG FTP.. 'HUGE' difference!!!). Other sites I've heard are very soft are 'Bodog', & Ultimatebet (micro cash play & micro SNG). Also, any site that has sportsbetting on it will have soft poker tables.

I play or have played on most all sites. (except for the very new ones.) I like to get all that free signup bonuses. You play on Titan? That used to be one of my favorite sites. Do they still have the jackpot sit n gos? I wondered why other sites don't have something like that.

S

skyin452

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, I have through the past few years played at-Paradise-Pacific-Doyle.s Room-Ultimate Bet-Cake Poker-Full Tilt-Players Only and poker stars. There may even be one or two that I don't remember cause now all I have installed is Carbon and Poker Stars. As far as stakes and games. I pretty much stick to the micro and low stakes ring games, don't really care for sng's and mtt's but I will play one on occasion!!!

CerberAcE

CerberAcE

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, I have through the past few years played at-Paradise-Pacific-Doyle.s Room-Ultimate Bet-Cake Poker-Full Tilt-Players Only and Poker Stars. There may even be one or two that I don't remember cause now all I have installed is Carbon and Poker Stars. As far as stakes and games. I pretty much stick to the micro and low stakes ring games, don't really care for sng's and mtt's but I will play one on occasion!!!

Ye but what is your point lol? How does the play compare...thats the question.

S

skyin452

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was just responding to Poker Orifice, he stated he would be interrested in know where someone might be playing-what they played-and at what stakes. And the original question was if one site played softer than another site and the relation of fishy players in general.

Last edited:
S

skyin452

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And I guess, my point is that in relation to a players skill level, soft play is a relative term. What one may call soft another may call tough!

CerberAcE

CerberAcE

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont think he was looking for a biography..just how the play compares at the different rooms.

Smaller rooms get a reputation of having more fish and generally weaker play...whereas the likes of fulltilt hav more aggressive regs even at micros.

It seemed to me pokerstars is more nitty at the micros (5NL& 10NL) than fulltilt.

Peteyweestro

Peteyweestro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the bigger rooms like Stars for example have way looser players and lots of fish at my levels, althought i don't play ring games that much, i'm mainly MTT & S-N-GO but when you have 10,000 or more people logged in to a room what else do you expect

S

skyin452

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
FYI i didn't give anyone a biography. I simply told what the poster was curious about. If you'd read a little closer you'd know that-quit being a trog!!!

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All I know is that the play on Bodog, Carbon, and UB was crazy soft compared to FTP.

CerberAcE

CerberAcE

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
FYI i didn't give anyone a biography. I simply told what the poster was curious about. If you'd read a little closer you'd know that-quit being a trog!!!

I know you've clocked up 4 posts in this thread without adding anything to it.

Every other poster has provided an opinion on the varing levels of play at different rooms....not just simply listed where they have played.

arkyten

arkyten

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for sharing this info. Been considering sites other than FT. Micro cash, SNG & tourneys. Have cashed over $1200 in tourneys & Poker's Edge says I'm up $25 in over 9,000 hands of cash games.. BUT, my bankroll is still down $200.

nitulbhatia

nitulbhatia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I found the play on poker stars competitive, im enjoying full tilt poker, as for softer games on smaller sites it really depends on the players you run into from time to time.

P

pol_92121

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you can find fish anywhere. The larger sites have more tables to find them at however.

that's it!!! in all sites you can find donks but probably big sites give you the opportunity to win much money than small sites with lower buy-in but the disavantage is that in big sites there are much more players than the small sites in a tourney with liyyle buyin and large prizes

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I was just responding to Poker Orifice, he stated he would be interrested in know where someone might be playing-what they played-and at what stakes. And the original question was if one site played softer than another site and the relation of fishy players in general.

I was actually wondering if the people responding to OP actually had much experience on a broad range of sites.... in order to be able to offer up any advice (because it didn't seem like they had from some of the responses I read... ie. is a Ferrari fast?.. "yes... my friend said it is".

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You play on Titan? That used to be one of my favorite sites. Do they still have the jackpot sit n gos? I wondered why other sites don't have something like that.
Yes I play on Titan & 'yes' they still have the Jackpot SNG's ($5+$1).
I don't play SNG's on Titan though... mainly MTT's.
Software there has improved immensely over the past 6mos. Still lacking in a few depts. but wayyyyy better than it was before. It'd be nice if they added a 'extra timer' for all MTT tables & co-ordinated their tourney breaks to co-incide with the other sites. (late reg on tourneys would be good too!)