The Big Game TV-series rigged/semi-planned?

KrazyKoo

KrazyKoo

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Before you jump to those comments like "nothing is ever rigged or planned beforehand, gtfo from our forum". Just hear me out:

The loose cannon is always winning some money, not like millions but he is always winning. Loose cannons are usually pretty terrible players and one of them folded pocket aces even. I think the blind structure in that table is pretty solid for weak and scared loose cannon fish kid. But I also think that the other players are not playing very well versus him intentionally.

Also have you seen the bad beats that have happened in that show. Not saying that bad beats cannot happen in poker (they do and very often) but when they happen in such unbelievably way and often with loose cannon... It would make sense that it's rigged.

I mean the hand where they run it 4 times. Hellmuth's set over pair of kings by loose cannon. 3 out of 4 times loose cannon wins with worse hand (worse hand in flop stage)

Also the other hand where Hellmuth and loose cannon both got 8. When flop is 8 8 blank. Hellmuth got 10 kicker, loose cannon got 9 kicker. Loose cannon shoves.. River is 9!

tldr:

- Loose cannon always winning money vs best players in the world with only basic knowledge of poker
- Bad beats happen when loose cannon in risk

BiliousBetil

BiliousBetil

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a word, No!

A couple of things to consider:

1. There is a Federal law prohibiting manipulation of game shows (an amendment to the 1960 Communications Act). It is so unlikely that a network, in this case Fox, is going to risk an enormous fine to fix a minor, late night game show that it is beyond serious consideration.

2. Why are earth are you questioning a program that ended production back in 2011? :confused:

Cheers!

L

lukeellul92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You realise some of the lose cannons busted out right?

These shows aren't rigged, you're watching what is called "variance"... It happens to literally every poker player, just so happens the cameras on the fish when he's having the biggest heater of his life :p

BobGrayling

BobGrayling

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
TV shows in general are EDITED. I'm not referring to a specific show, but a general observation. They seldom show the hands where everyone folds and the BB gets a walk.

Instead, they show the suckouts, the set over set, the huge bluffs or the guy who wins with 72 off.

With a lot of the tournaments, if you actually pay attention to the blinds, you'll see you've missed a lot of hands in between. They show the drama. Edit out the mundane.

R

rugby0

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The tv shows are edited to fit the time. They show 1 hand in 8 or less.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dunno about season two, but on season one only 4 of the 12 loose cannons actually walked away having won some money: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PokerStars_Big_Game

The tv shows are edited to fit the time. They show 1 hand in 8 or less.

That wasn't necessarily the case for this show: they still edited, but they showed a lot more than 1 in 8 hands as each "game" only lasted for 150 hands over the space of five episodes.

BadB420

BadB420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The reason these loose cannons we're winning some of the time was because they were decent poker players. If I recall right you had to win a satelite tournament to enter this game so its not like they picked up a few micro stakes players who started playing yesterday! The loose cannons we're actually decent poker players!

timfbmx

timfbmx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is a ton of variance in 1 poker game. Anyone at any given time can win at poker. Not that big of a deal in my opinion. Look at the A9 vs KK hand with Hellmuth and the black guy on "The big game".

Top 10 Games