Best Omaha Poker Book?

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd like to get an Omaha book soon so I can get a little bit more serious playing it. I figure I'd try to master PLO first and try to learn HI/LO & 8 later.

I've read some Amazon reviews that say the books by Ken Warren and McEvoy/Cloutier are OK but not the best. I also read good things about the one by Ciaffone. I know there are many others.

Can anyone recommend one that is geared towards someone just a bit past beginner and is quite thorough?

medeiros13

medeiros13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My two cents. My understanding from reading other poker sites is that the McElvoy/Cloutier Championship Omaha series simply isn't very good. He basically tells you to only draw to the nuts...something very basic in Omaha. This wasn't one person either...there were a lot of posts saying the same thing. I have read good things about the Omaha section in Doyle's SS2 but I've never actually read it. So that could be an option for you.

I taught myself by using the CC articles and then doing some searches on Google. There are a few websites that have some very good pointers. After reading a few different ones, I got a basic idea of what "quality" starting hands were for Omaha and O8. Omaha is now more or less the only game that I play and I still use that starting hand selection (for the most part) in any ring/sng that I may participate in.

Unfortunately Mr. Sticker, when I was doing the same research you are doing now...there wasn't a book out there for Omaha that was as good as the HoH series.....

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the tips, Meds. I just got back from the bookstore and skimmed SS2 there. It has sections on Hi/Lo & PLO that look semi-thorough. I think I'll try to pick it up on eBay for half price.

quazar66

quazar66

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Get the poker players bible it has some good tips and starting hands. The only problem is that its not just Omaha

aussieinus

aussieinus

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm currently about 1/4 of the way through McElvoy/Cloutier Championship Omaha and so far I am pretty impressed. Its very easy to read.
I got it from my local library so might be a good idea for you to do also to check it out and see what you think for yourself.
I'll give a more detailed review once I finish it and have tried to put what Ive learnt into my game.
Omaha hi/lo is my favorite of the games.

Cya
Keith

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm currently about 1/4 of the way through McElvoy/Cloutier Championship Omaha and so far I am pretty impressed. Its very easy to read.
I got it from my local library so might be a good idea for you to do also to check it out and see what you think for yourself.
I'll give a more detailed review once I finish it and have tried to put what Ive learnt into my game.
Omaha hi/lo is my favorite of the games.

Cya
Keith

Or you could buy it since you probably are going to reread certain sections as you play.

LetsGetItOn

LetsGetItOn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's actually better to start out with o8. It sounds and looks complex but in reality it's much more simple to play than reg. omaha, its the game I learned after hold'em (which Im still pretty damn mediocre at). Oh and as far as action there is quite a bit of o8 action and reg. omaha is pretty much dead at most poker rooms with party and stars having any real action.