Being to polite at the tables?

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello all, Just wondering what your thoughts are on this subject..Is too polite actually being rude, for instance, I'm a typer myself (I can't help it, I scream, Right down my feelings, Tell them off (But afterwards usually Say something down the lines of Sry, just tilting or similar)...

So usually when I see a player with a good hand that wins, I'll say gh, nh, but I constantly say this after every hand, and I never get a reply...So this makes me wonder is it really annoying to say such things? I personally don't care both ways for the lack of replies just got me thinking is saying gh, nh, vnh, and so forth and so on really just a waste of time?

Maid Marian

Maid Marian

RIP Baby BooBoo
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's never a waste of time to be polite, imo. I can't stand those that are rude & try very hard to knock them out!:D

gnk2727

gnk2727

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm sure there's nothing that can piss a player off more than being kind to them whether you're winning or losing. Showing rudeness can be a leak to your game by showing others what can put you on tilt....

konawajim

konawajim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol I am not much of a typer ( is this a word ??) so I'll type gh, nh if I'm in the hand other wise I just keep to myself :) But I've to say I do enjoy reading the chat :) sometimes that's more entertaining than the game :D

Peteyweestro

Peteyweestro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think being polite at the virtual tables is just as good as being polite at the real deal, i mean honestly who wants to play with some asshat that goes on tilt everytime he loses a hand in his pea brained head he should of won ? Likewise who wants to play with the idiots who start name calling others just because they had the audacity to play the cards they were dealt instead of folding them, i mean God forbid right ? :confused: I say keep being polite and the same guy that just sucked out your AA with his 64 and he rivered the straight, don't call him a donk or anything else in fact be happy he plays those hands because you can exploit them later and make money instead of tilting and screaming and crying and possibly chasing the guy from the table, nah mean ?

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I generally do not say anything at the tables unless it is a bunch of us on a table. I only say nh if I was involved in the hand, and it really was a nice hand that beat me. If they suck out on me, or make what I think is a bad call and beat me, I say nothing, reload, and plan to get it back. If though I am extremely tilted by the suck out, I occasionally give a nh, but it is my way of calling them a donk.

It does bother me though when I or someone else at the table throws out a bet and the opponent folds and someone says nh, only because there is no way they can know if it really was or not.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been at both scales. I can and have been rude but apologise afterwards as I sometimes just can't help it espically if I think it was terrible and they then comment about something, obviously I don't condone my language at times. I've tried to stay more friendly as I think it's a massive leak in my game as it does look tilty and people are then out to try bust you so they can laugh, rightly at your face so overall it's not a goood place to be in. Besides which, it isn't very nice being rude - I find myself quite disappointed in myself if I let it happen to be honest. I either try keep it to saying something nice or not talking at all. Sometimes it gets the better of me if I'm in a bad run for example and just can't help myself.

I sometimes say nh if it really is a nice hand or well played if I'm outplayed badly.

I can tell you what really annoys me more than anything though at a table though is when you fold or if someone wins at showdown and they say "thanks" that really does tilt me a bit or boils my blood for some reason..

rssurfer54

rssurfer54

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
saying nh is +ev. Especially if they made a donk call ;)

jolubman

jolubman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't understand why some players have to comment on the reoccuring fact that good hands happen. Good hands are random. The player has nothing to do with it.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
why are you even talking to people. Just ignore.

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Howard Lederer is a perfect example. He always says "nice hand", no matter what. He says it helps him hide the fact that he's pissed that a donkey sucked out on him. He doesn't want anyone to know they got the best of him and he tries to show that every hand is no biggie to him.

Contrary to my online persona, that's how I am when I play live too (except when I've been drinking). Not only to hide my true feelings, but you never know who's packin' heat or a blade. Not worth finding out.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hide the fact you are angry, dont say anything at any time.

Logic.

dermafx

dermafx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mute anyone who says anything in chat, and I never say anything myself, I see it as a distraction.

doops

doops

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like talking, sometimes. The "nh" sort of comment is just polite, especially if I am in the hand. If I don't feel it, I don't say anything. Of course, if I don't say it, it might be because I am playing more tables than can permit me to chat. So don't get all bent out of shape if I stay silent.

Some people say "ty" and some don't talk at all. That's OK. It happens at live tables, too -- some people like to talk, some are silent. Talking can be distracting live or online. So don't do it if you can't keep your head in the game -- especially if you are in a hand. And since it's not polite to chat during someone else's hand...

Being polite matters. Expecting others to be polite...good luck on that. Be glad when they are.

Another thing is that some people will not play as hard against someone they feel is a nice person. They won't give their chips away, but they won't necessarily hammer the nice person as hard as they would have with a nasty person. That can be helpful. (I'm not talking about CC games. I'm thinking about games with strangers.)

J

JMcCabe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only one that used to piss me off is when someone says "sorry" after sucking out on you.

Of course they're not sorry. They won the pot and should be happy. That said, it never pissed me off enough to put me on tilt as is now just something I find amusing.

SYWTWAF

SYWTWAF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not one to start conversation at the tables, but may respond if someone says something directed at me (e.g. a reflexive "ty" at "nh", or "lol" at an angry fish berating my play), or if someone poses a general question I happen to know the answer to (e.g. someone once joined a PLO table and claimed not to know the rules of the game; someone else, upon noticing my IM icon, asked me what "Iron Man" was). One time, when another player (at a PLO table) pointed out to an upset fish who felt as though he got sucked out on on the river that, "no, [though we both had the nut straight when we went AI on the flop], [our] hands were not the same, as had a redraw to a flush", I quietly told him, "Shhh, don't tap the tank".

Basically, I rarely chat, but am always polite and good-humored when I do. I see it as doing my small part to keep the fish happy (but fishy!).

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah marg is right on this one, turn chat off and don't talk.There is no need to chat while muti tabling online poker,live is a different subject though.

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
but I constantly say this after every hand, and I never get a reply

If a friend tells every single person she sees "nice hair", and then she tells you "nice hair", do you believe her?

Also, out of politeness, I try to refrain from commenting on other people's hands unless I was involved myself. Saying "nice hand" to the winner is like saying "crappy hand" to the loser. And that's not polite, right? If you don't believe me, go play at a live table, and when someone loses a big hand, turn to the person who beat him and go on and on about how great his hand was, what a great play that was, etc. Then note the expression on the other guy's face. Hint: It's not going to be pleasant! :)

Hehe... I know you're just trying to be polite, but the bottom line is that you can do just about anything in poker and everyone's going to interpret it differently. So if you like saying "nice hand" or "nh" every single hand, then keep on doing it. But don't expect everyone to interpret the same way as you do. And don't feel obligated to type it out of politeness. You can be the most polite player in the world and never say "nice hand" to a hand in which you are not involved.

Good luck at the tables!

S

sryImPro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well when i see a player with a good hand,winning hand ofc i allways say such a things,like nh,vnh,well played as well but i dont have a reply on that....so i dont know,mby other players dont pay attention on chat or something...In other hand i allways say thank you when someone notice my good hand :/...it's for me like a fer play

laidlow

laidlow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I generally turn off my chat, find its a bit distracting if I get caught up in a conversation with someone.

TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Personally, I rarely bust out the nh (nice hand). If it truly was a nice, and well played hand, then I'll say it.

Usually I just stick to the occasional gh (good hand). For me this implies that while they might have been a totally lucky fisstard, their hand was good in the end and it makes them feel better. I like to encourage bad play and I feel by saying gh that if they see it they think what they did was right and will do it again.

I couldn't care less if they reply or not.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I personally stay out of chat 99.9% of the time. I have it on as it does sometimes give a small bit of info. But I used to be susceptible to following conversations between other players - mostly involving people trying to "teach" each other - but I now just ignore this. I had it off for a while to keep me from following chat from other players, which was only detrimental to my overall concentration, but now I dont care, so its back on. Sometimes before a game starts, a player will chat a lot and this almost always is an inexperienced player, which is good to know. And the "teachers" are also good to know. The info I get from chat is vary little, and for that reason, it is pretty irrelevant whether it is on or off, but since I am able to have it on and ignore anything not helpful to me, I just leave it on. I rarely type anything myself. I only say anything to players I know or have played with a lot, and those instances are few and far between.

pricecube

pricecube

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think of the 'nh' comment and similar along the same lines as the pre-flop raise when first into a pot. My raise tends to be the same whether I have a premium hand or a stealing hand, ie I don't make it blatantly obvious what I'm holding. I use the 'nh' comment in the same way - I'll say it if I genuinely think someone has played a really good hand, I'll also say it if some donk sucks out on me. Even though I might be steaming inside, my 'nh' doesn't show how cheesed off I am although anyone paying attention will pick up the sarcasm. Quite often I see two players get involved in a slanging match which can be quite funny to watch but not so great to be a part of. I think if you have the chance to be polite then why not take it? Wow, I sound terribly British, don't I?

SYWTWAF

SYWTWAF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think of the 'nh' comment and similar along the same lines as the pre-flop raise when first into a pot. My raise tends to be the same whether I have a premium hand or a stealing hand, ie I don't make it blatantly obvious what I'm holding. I use the 'nh' comment in the same way - I'll say it if I genuinely think someone has played a really good hand, I'll also say it if some donk sucks out on me.
So you're basically balancing your "nh"-commenting range ;)

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Jesus christ people, unless it is a super duper mega fish who is very talkative, you should not ever say anything unless it is a friendly cc game or something