Bad plays influencing our perception of luck

R

RVladimiro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Disclaimer: I don't believe in luck, ever!

...but...

Don't get the feeling that when you are not playing your best, you never hit the flop or you are card dead or you get major suckouts? Because I surely do. It's like nothing works my way and I can even make it a bit worse by some dumb move.

But weird is the opposite, like you making some really dumb move and from that moment on, it seems the planets align to give you lousy cards or great cards and awful flops.

I don't believe there is a relation but I do have this feeling on my worse days.

Thoughts?

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I don't know? I don't make many bad plays (in tournament play) but I do feel a tad 'unlucky' at times, lol. (I feel lucky when you get it in a mile ahead & you hold.. this is 'lucky')

olliejjc16

olliejjc16

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well bad play doesn't influence luck but i think you're living proof that it can change peoples perception of their luck :)

Samango

Samango

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well bad play doesn't influence luck but i think you're living proof that it can change peoples perception of their luck :)

lol
Disclaimer: I don't believe in luck, ever!

Part of the problem you are having may be this! - because luck DOES play a big part in poker and you have to accept that. The skill is in exploiting the edges around the luck

Good Luck :D

B

budebuzz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck! At some point you either have to use that word or make up some other word to explain how in ANY game where some skill and some chance is involved good things happen that are not skillfull. In most games people who have little to no experience what so ever can do things that turn out good, win a poker pot, bowl a strike, make a hole in one, call it what you want but most of us have said the phrase "beginners luck". I know I sit way too long without getting any playable hands and next thing I know I'm at the final table or I'm out, I'm not doing too much different.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would guess u probably win your biggest pots when u suck out?

I have no evidence of what I`m going to say here btw, but being a player that wins more than he loses, when I get knocked out of a mtt it is normally for these reasons and in this order...
1) Get my chips in good, muppet sucks out.
2) I`m short stacked so I have to push
3) Miss my nutdraw
4) Try to bluff a calling station
5) Beaten by a better hand

R

RVladimiro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I win more than I loose (lately :D) and I'm sure it's a matter of making the best decisions I can. I don't believe in luck because statisticaly there's no such thing as luck.

But yes I do have the feeling that if I'm not at my best, not even the cards are helpful. Maybe it's a mindset, a karma thing (I also don't believe in karma but oh well).

I also feel the opposite. I'm doing well, got a nice bluff in, got a good value from a mediocre hand and suddenly it seems that I hit every draw or get free cards when I need.

I'm sure it's a matter of perception, like when you review a bad session and didn't remember a great hand or when you review a great session and didn't remember that awful call. :)

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that in poker you have to make the best decisions and fewest mistakes, but even than you can still lose the hand. In poker the good players win over the long term and luckbox players win occasionally, but not over the long haul.
I think when you make a bad play or get sucked out on etc. your perception of your luck can definitely change for the worse which will make you feel unlucky, which in turn will make it seem like nothing you do will go the right way. This is usually when I take a couple days off from poker.

Off the poker table I do believe in luck. I read this article off of Yahoo a few months back, and some scientist proved luck lol... http://shine.yahoo.com/event/lifeslittlepleasures/how-to-get-lucky-2389062

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Instead of luck, blessings. Also, unseen hand or fate can be put in there instead of the word luck. Opportunity, in the cards, good fortune, accident, break, happenstance, unforeseen event, fluke, turn, destiny, benefit, chance, can all be used to describe the part of poker that is not skill.