On average what is your hit rate in MTT???

How often do you get to the last 10% in the MTT you enter???

• 100% of the time - everyone

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 90% of the time - 9 out of ten you enter

• 80% of the time - 8 out of ten you enter

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • 70% of the time - 7 out of ten you enter

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • 60% of the time - 6 out of ten

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • 50% of the time

• 40% of the time

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • 30% of the time

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • 20% of the time

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Never !!!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Guys.

I would be interested to know how often you guys get into the top 10% of the MTT you enter. I`m trying to see how mine matches up.

Also it would be interesting to hear your comments on how you rate `success` playing MTT.

For example, although the cash is nice if you win, I like to look at my position in the MTT ladder on the site I play, therefore that is how I determine my success.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
mattisme

mattisme

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i usually play huge mtts freerolls so with the way people play its hard to get in to often maybe ive got into the top 10 around 15 times or so maybe more............but when i play maybe like 20 or 30 people mtt id prob say around 70% or so

F

Fish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I voted 20% of the time.
I also can see 3 other votes. (1 for 40% 1 for 60% and 1 for 70%)
These 3 people are either :
a) telling lies.
b) Trying to fool themselves
c) not keeping accurate records.

I will be nice and vote for c.

LetsGetItOn

LetsGetItOn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I put 40 percent, but I just don't have a huge sample size yet. Been keeping track of them on checkyourbets.com

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't have all my Titan MTTs documented, which is where I've played just about all of my tournies, but I'm sure I have a terrible ITM %. Something under %10 for sure, though when I do make the money, it's usually FT, or top 5.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Two votes for 80%. WTF?

starfall

starfall

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to doubt the 80% ones... I put 30%, because that's probably pretty representative, although it's probably higher for Omaha H/L MTTs... about 50% then I think...

Beriac

Beriac

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My understanding was that for most of these things, 10%-20% of players tend to cash. So it should average out across all players to roughly that number. If so, 80% is pretty out there.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I very rarely play MTTs so when i have made top 10% i remember it lol :)

Ive put 20% - as i say i dont play in too many but have won some and made a few final tables - but mainly it would be hit a couple of hands and die slow a slow death on the blinds lol.

I keep telling my self i want / need to play more but i find making a nice profit on the cash games more attractive.

Maybe start tomorrow lol

IanT

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess it depends on how many players are in the MTT. I'm assuming you mean more than 500 players so I voted 20% of the time.

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
t1riel said:
I guess it depends on how many players are in the MTT. I'm assuming you mean more than 500 players so I voted 20% of the time.
The number of players shouldn't matter - 10% is 10%, so it should logically be as easy to finish in top 1,000 of a 10,000 MTT as it is to finish in the top 10 of a 100 MTT.

If you ignore freerolls (sitouts will skew the figures) I cant imagine many players in the world will exceed 30% with any decent sample size.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We have discussed in the past the `luck` element involved in poker.

I feel I can now put my bad beats behind me easier now, and accept that if I go to war on a regular basis in a showdown with the best hand at the stage I/ we were forced all in I am happy. I know in the long term it will hold up more than it does not.
So, the reason I say this is I play mainly tournys. I have played in 45 tournys from end of June to now. My average placing is just on 19%. I got to this by totalling up my position and dividing it by the number of entries. i.e in those 45 tournys a total of 27,034 played (2 freerolls with about 4000 in each) and adding up my finishing positions that came to 5.203.

If you understand some of the tournys I was out early - example one tourny with 264 entries, I went out in position 222 (sad!!!) and others 104 entries went out in 5th. I have left the freerolls in - I think it does not make much difference unless u regularily hit top 10 every time.

I`m sure things like Poker tracker look at this but for some reason I have not tried it yet, I still keep my own Excel spreadsheet logs.

I need a statictician for this one, but I think this shows that on average I am in the top 20% when I play, so I think that means that I must hit the money, based on top 10% being paid, one out of every 5 MTT I play in.
I have confused myself, but I think I`m right!!!

Help me guys!!!

Ronaldadio

Welly

Welly

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play one MTT at a time, then anything above 25% is simply not sustainable. I defy anyone to prove otherwise :) If you are in the range 15-20% you are doing well and deserve a pat on the back.

This max of 25% is very likely to come down if you play multible MTTs (but I dont know by how much)

The exceptions to this 25% are :-

1) Rebuys :- 50% is certainly possible, albeit unlikely.
2) Freerolls :- Higher than 25% is certainly possible due to no-shows

Welly

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wonder what my % would change to as I went from the low ($3-$20) mtt's towards the higher ones ($50-$200+)

nateofdeath

nateofdeath

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah, you should have added a 10% catagory too. I'm at about 22.5% on tournamentreporter and that's probably only because i play at lot of tournaments on stars that pay out 20%. the best players on there usually aren't any higher then 25%. If anyone can hit higher the 50% they should be playing in the wsop;)

-n

gord962

gord962

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm quite amazed that the expectation for finishing ITM for SNGs are so high yet MTTs is so low. I just checked my record for the past month and I am at about 33% in MTTs. I am not winning these, but placing ITM 1/3 of the time. I know one month isn't enough to be a decent sample size, but I've only been keeping track for that long.:p

Welly

Welly

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're doing well Gord. Keep up the good work. :)

My stats above refer to the original question rather than the ITM%. IE my 25% refers to finishing in the top 10% of the field rather than ITM.

The sustainable ITM depends on the payment structure of the particular site and tourney, hence why it can be a little more difficult to give general figures on this.

A good sample size to see if anyone can ever top the 25% in the top 10% is at least a 1000 tourneys, preferably more.

Have Fun

Welly

gord962

gord962

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My bad as I didn't read the question fully but doesn't cahnge the outcome of 33%. (One ITM result was below 10%, but another MTT I didn't make it ITM I finished in the top 10%, so it nets out). But like I said, this is only for the last month, which is no where near the amount need to determine a true number. That being said, 1000 MTTs would take me 7 years (12 MTTs/month*12 months*7 years) to complete as MTTs are not my preferred game, so that isn't a reasonable sample size in my opinion. That would be a population for many people, not a sample. A sample of at least 50 - 100 would be required though to get a reasonable calculation.