Ask Me Anything (Dusty Schmidt aka Leatherass in the well)

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dear Cardschat members,

My name is Dusty Schmidt and I go by the online handle, "Leatherass." I play the high stakes games online at poker stars and full tilt poker under the screen name "Leatherass9." I just released a new book last week called Treat Your Poker Like A Business. It is available at http://www.dustyschmidt.net for anyone who is interested.

For a period of at least 3 weeks, I will be taking any and all questions of any kind. If you have read the book and would like to ask me something about it, definitely feel free. Questions won't be confined to being about the book. You are free to ask me anything under the sun. I am pretty liberal about what I will answer, but if it is something too personal that I would prefer not to answer, I may choose to take a pass.

It has been my understanding that Cardschat.com is one of the best poker forums on the internet and I am excited to be a part of this. I really look forward to taking your questions. So feel free to ask me anything.

Best,

Dusty Schmidt

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Welcome to the forum Sir.

I suppose the first question that I want to ask you, seems as its a big topic of discussion at the moment around here, is how many shortstackers have to be on your table before you leave ?

What stakes are you currently playing ?

Edit : I've ordered your book and awaiting with baited breath :)

PC69

PC69

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Welcome to Cardschat sir. I have not had the opportunity as of yet to purchase your book. I will ask u though what was driving force for you to write it?

How long did it take you to write it?

What do value more? The money or the respect you recieve from the online poker community?

Do you plan on sticking around Cardschat after your question thread to share more of your knowledge with us?

Normand

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi there. Welcome to the forum.

1. Are you at the least bit concerned that you made it a wide open "ask me anything" thread (even with reserving the right to decline answer)?

2. Are you planning to be active in other areas of the forum (e.g. Hand Analysis) while you are here answering questions?

3. Any chance you might post some small excerpts from your book (like a page or two from somewhere randomly in the middle?

4. Do you dabble in lesser played games such as Razz?

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello Sir,

the last days your name and the book you have written have been been mentioned quite often by various regs - looking forward to reading it, too.

Questions:

- How long did it take you to get the data material for the book together ?
- Are you going to stay after the 3 week period ?
- Are you only playing NLHE or do you play other games aswell regularly ?

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. It's the 18th, did my book ship out today?

2. Did you ever resolve your amateur status issue so you could go back to playing competitive golf?

3. Who, if anyone, were you most afraid would take you up on the golf/poker challenge?

4. What's the biggest single thing you think small stakes players will gain by reading your new book?

5. With the new addition to the family (congrats) are you getting any sleep?

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would you consider playing in some of our private forum games?

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the process of writing this book did u ever consider going the high priced ebook route witch some of the other big time grinders have gone with there books and pricing it at 1500$+?
Or was your intention allways to market it to the general poker community oposed to just small/mid stakes grinders?

Do you think there will come a point in the forseeable future where all the online games will have dried up(either because of more easily available learning material, changed legistalation or improvements to so called poker bots)?

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What tracking software do you use for poker?

Can we borrow your database to fight the "poker is rigged" people?

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you think there will come a point in the forseeable future where all the online games will have dried up(either because of more easily available learning material, changed legistalation or improvements to so called poker bots)?

IMHO great question Sindri.

Given the relatively rapid progress of computerized chess programs, I do forsee a future where there will be some very capable poker playing software.

Dusty, do you think the online sites will be able to combat these programs when they do exist? Like maybe some biometric interfaces?

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JD, having read the e-book I think he's using HEM since he recommends it.

- A lot of players are still getting their feet wet in the micro-micro levels. Do you have any advice where to start if you were going to start over again right now? And any advice at what level some of your poker plays should start to be applied?

- Any advice for those who can't get rakeback at Full Tilt, other than play at Stars?

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dusty, if I may call you that way,

i'm a member at stox and i read your blog, so I know that you are both a really intelligent and a really decent person who cares a lot about the fate of people who are less fortunate then you are.

As such, do you ever feel that - from an unselfish perspective - you are somehow wasting your abilities and maybe if you didn't play poker, you could be the one discovering the cure for cancer or something ridiculously cool like that?

Obviously if the alternative to poker is to sell pest control services like Matt Bolt used to, then poker is a no brainer when it comes to career choices. But what if your regular job is actually both reasonably well paid and socially useful, yet you do make a little more $/hour playing poker? That's the conundrum i'm in. :)

Last edited:
Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
WOW!!! We've got leatherass joining the forum.... way cool!!! I was just reading something about your new book yesterday.

I've watched a bunch of your vids.! great stuff (even though I don't play alot of cash tables, mostly a NLHE MTT player).

Very cool oppurtunity for us to ask u questions.... even though I can't think of any at the moment. I'll try to get my brain in gear.. (what questions would I ask leatherass if I had the oppurtunity to do so?...hmm...). Who is Isildur1? jk

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Page 136, you write: "Don't waste a lot of time on forums and block all the chat.". What are you doing here? :D

Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are there players that you wont play even at a comfortable buy-in?

What is your favorite older Muscle Car?

Have/Would you ever sky dive?

What is the craziest prop bet you won and lost?

Who is your favorite Pro to play poker against?

If you had 3 wishes,what would the 1st 2 be?

Ive ordered your book,and look forward to reading it.Ill be back with more Questions later.

Thanks for doing this,you have been a buzz around here this week and we have been looking forward to this!

Snow :cool:

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is your favorite swear word for ratholing shortstackers? Also, are you mad at Ed Miller for coaching them?

the lab man

the lab man

CardsChat Irregular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Did you ever have a "AHAH" moment in your poker career?

Anything else you would rather do for a living?

How do you chill out?

Favourite type of TV?

What pisses you off?

Thanks

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Welcome to the forum Sir.

I suppose the first question that I want to ask you, seems as its a big topic of discussion at the moment around here, is how many shortstackers have to be on your table before you leave ?

What stakes are you currently playing ?

Edit : I've ordered your book and awaiting with baited breath :)

First off if there is a mega fish at the tables, I will stay no matter how many short stackers are there. Generally speaking, if there are 3 at a 6 max table I will usually just leave.

I am currently playing 99% of my poker at 5/10nl through 25/50 nl. If I play 100k hands in a month maybe 65k at 5/10, 25k at 10/20 and 10k at 25/50nl.

Thanks so much for the support of the book. I hope you enjoy it and maybe you can ask me some questions on it after you've read it.

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Welcome to Cardschat sir. I have not had the opportunity as of yet to purchase your book. I will ask u though what was driving force for you to write it?

How long did it take you to write it?

What do value more? The money or the respect you recieve from the online poker community?

Do you plan on sticking around Cardschat after your question thread to share more of your knowledge with us?

Normand

Initially the driving force behind writing it was to do something a little different from playing poker at the tables. It evolved into something I enjoyed and took a lot of pride in. I am really pleased with how it turned out and the support I have gotten for this project.

It took me 3 months in total, but I did not work full time on it. I also had a co writer, Scott Brown, who spent an equal amount of time on it.

I value the money. And not for the material things it can purchase, but rather the freedom I have as well as the ability to help others. The respect is great, but that is not what gets me up in the morning. Hope that makes sense.

I don't have any plan one way or another at the moment. Basically I am attracted to quality people. I will be spending a lot of time for the next 3 weeks on this forum and if it seems like a friendly place, then I will absolutely stick around.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i apologize if you've addressed any of this in your book, i haven't read it yet but i'll definitely consider picking it up

do you think there comes a point in poker where a certain amount of natural talent is required to excel? for example, do you think the average 100NL 2ptbb/100 grinder could eventually "learn" to beat the 10/20 NLHE games online, via hard work, studying, and experience? or are there just too many naturally skilled (but also fundamentally competent) players at those levels to compete with hard work alone? if not at 10/20 NLHE, do you believe there's a certain level where this becomes true?

as a follow-up to that, how much of your poker skill do you think was attained through practice and hard work, and how much of it is raw ability that you couldn't have been taught?

thanks

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi there. Welcome to the forum.

1. Are you at the least bit concerned that you made it a wide open "ask me anything" thread (even with reserving the right to decline answer)?

2. Are you planning to be active in other areas of the forum (e.g. Hand Analysis) while you are here answering questions?

3. Any chance you might post some small excerpts from your book (like a page or two from somewhere randomly in the middle?

4. Do you dabble in lesser played games such as Razz?

1. Not at all. I am as open as any poker player probably. I don't have anything to hide so unless the question is totally ridiculous, I am happy to answer it.

2. The demand for my time has been tremendous lately. I also have a newborn at home right now. So I will probably not be too involved in any forum in the short term, but long term there is an excellent chance I will help out in other forums.

3. I put excerpts up all the time on my facebook page and http://www.dustyschmidt.net

4. I stick just with NL holdem. I actually wrote a chapter on that same question!

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello Sir,

the last days your name and the book you have written have been been mentioned quite often by various regs - looking forward to reading it, too.

Questions:

- How long did it take you to get the data material for the book together ?
- Are you going to stay after the 3 week period ?
- Are you only playing NLHE or do you play other games aswell regularly ?

I think I got to these already. Let me know if you have any other questions.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it ok to discuss politics?

If you had to choose between passing universal health care legislation and cancelling UIGEA, which one would you pick?

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. It's the 18th, did my book ship out today?

2. Did you ever resolve your amateur status issue so you could go back to playing competitive golf?

3. Who, if anyone, were you most afraid would take you up on the golf/poker challenge?

4. What's the biggest single thing you think small stakes players will gain by reading your new book?

5. With the new addition to the family (congrats) are you getting any sleep?

1. We changed it to the 19th for shipping awhile back. All systems are on the go and there doesn't appear to be any more delays.

2. I lost in Federal court after representing myself. Basically the judge said that the USGA totally screwed me, but that I had no legal recourse. He can only enforce the law, which he did. The judge likened my situation to a church who excommunicated a member for an unfair reason. While it sucks for that person and what the church did was clearly wrong, it is not necessarily a Federal court judge's duty to intervene. Hope that makes sense.

3. Rocco Mediate and I would have had a dog fight if we played. I wouldn't rule a match between the two of us out someday. I would actually be surprised if it never happened.

4. An understanding of how to run their poker business as well as some fundamental poker strategies that will last them a lifetime. Think of it this way. You could be the most talented baseball player in the world, but if you don't know what hitting coaches to see, what team to play for, don't know how to negotiate your contract, don't know how to manage your money or your time etc. etc. will all that talent just go to waste? In my opinion there is an excellent chance that that ball player will at the very least spend half his career trying to figure everything out or at the most, will never make it. My book will teach you to get the most out of the least.

5. Actually I've been sleeping pretty well. We have had excellent family support through this trying period.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hope Debi remembered to remove the 7 post per day maximum for new users :)